Steam market / lack of value

I'm one of those people who would buy all my items off of the steam market, but sadly for this game I can't.

The problem right now is that there is no set value, or no way to see a value for the items, we're all left in the dark of what other people pay, this encourages sharking very much, as new players will get an item that is moderately rare (even as their first drop, I'M NOT MAD I'M IMPRESSED) and they'll trade it for like 10 common dropping items, while the person who paid 10 common items knows that he can sell that GoH for $25 to some other sucker who's willing to overpay by a lot.

people who take advantage of others works out very well on a no information trade only system. If klei is trying to avoid the steam market they should at least have the trade inn, not only be a trade-up clone (as most of us probably assume it's going to be) but it should also be some sort of trading center, where everyone can see what a high value item is being bought and sold for.

or the game could just allow the items on the market :D

or the game could just allow the items on the market

Personally, I think that would take away from their value and special-ness, because if they'd cost anything similar to steam trading cards, someone could buy all skins with 2-3 bucks. Also they'd have no real value since if you play long enough you'd get a ton of skins anyway. 

the last comment is really a joke because I get why they aren't doing the market, but either way, an item thats worth 3 cents to someone should be able to be bought for 3 cents, not 4 keys and your left leg.

Let the community decide the prices.

Personally I don't even like that you can trade steam marketable items for DST items, because in a roundabout way it lets you pay to get skins. I'd rather they can only be traded for other DST items. Disposable income on the internet is just a bad can of worms.

That being said Klei do seem to have a general policy regarding money and their games which is less capitalisty than "other" game developers. I respect their approach to DLCs and skins etc.

In regards to value Klei did do a good job in adding the "spiffy, distinguished, elegant" etc. to try and avoid scamming. Obviously sooner or later supply and demand will affect values somewhat, but they're a good guide.

If you get scammed with in-game items too bad, just play more to get more, but I understand where you're coming from in that it's a lot more worrying when money-value items are involved. That being said, as far as I can tell trading non-DST, marketable items for DST items is sort of against Klei's intent with skins. Whilst it's perfectly ok to trade that way, I think it's your choice to take the risk with your own money. For Klei to implement anything in regards to real-money values of the items would go against their policy with skins.

I guess most of you are new to Steam OR you play only DS/DST on Steam but let me tell you. Market or no market there will be people to overpay for items anyway and also if Klei add new batch of skins and someone get NEW head first he will put it on market for like 100€ and there will always be someone that will buy it only to have it first lol. And most of players don't even know about market anyway. How is it different from now? Also IDK how many GOH skins are in world right now but i BET if they are marketable they will be gone in seconds OR cost 100€ for one aaaand we don't want that right?

You need to realise that these items are free for you and people like some skins NOT BECAUSE of their rarity but because they like them. Not everyone is greedy and want only Wigi head but they are cool with some commons and black shoes.

ALSO i don't know if you saw those GOH and distinguished skins in game but most of them look really bad AND they will have ZERO value when Klei adds new head skins in game. SO you don't like someone overpaying $ for their skins? Let them and also ... welcome to steam since day 1 :) Market will change nothing and after that if i see someone with full inventory of heads i will think it is some small kid with tons of money to spend for free items :D

Klei will never add marketable items because that is not their style. I am also concerned about Trading INN but i hope they know what they are doing. If everyone had Wigfrid GOH what would be the point really? Again everyone looking them same? I like how it is now because when i enter server i see people checking their outfits and not because searching for rare items but to see what people did with different items ... i saw lot better common sets that people created than that flat ugly valkyrie armor (was really disappointed by that one) and if you see in server someone with GOH you get excited. 

I think Klei doesn't add this so that the community would have to work hard and play a long time for the good items. It seems much like their nature and the nature of the game, so I think it makes sense.

I have 915 hours logged in.

I got all batches of 4 skins since they were in the beta.

I won a grand total of 0 elegants and 0 distinguisheds.

I also saw people getting a distinguished on their first skin batch.

Personally, I think that would take away from their value and special-ness, because if they'd cost anything similar to steam trading cards, someone could buy all skins with 2-3 bucks. Also they'd have no real value since if you play long enough you'd get a ton of skins anyway.

They wouldn't cost 2-3 bucks.

I also play a lot, where are my skins?

the last comment is really a joke because I get why they aren't doing the market, but either way, an item thats worth 3 cents to someone should be able to be bought for 3 cents, not 4 keys and your left leg. Let the community decide the prices.

That's not how it works.

If a cellphone is worth 1 cent to me because I already have 4 of them, it won't cost 1 cent.

They wouldn't cost 2-3 bucks. I also play a lot, where are my skins?

That's not what I meant, I meant one skin would cost around 8-10 cents if their value becomes anything similar to steam trading cards, so with a couple bucks someone could get any skin they want.

As for your skins, I'm pretty sure you're aware of the 4 skins per week maximum, so if you do play enough, you will definitely get a skin by the end of the week. The rarity of that skin however, is up to chance, but if all things were common, they wouldn't feel so special, eh?

if their value becomes anything similar to steam trading cards

It won't.

As for your skins, I'm pretty sure you're aware of the 4 skins per week maximum, so if you do play enough, you will definitely get a skin by the end of the week. The rarity of that skin however, is up to chance, but if all things were common, they wouldn't feel so special, eh?

I already got the 4 skins of this week.

Two common shirts, one common pants, one classy sweater.

I am going to repeat myself.

I have played for hundreds of hours.

I have got all batches of skins since they were introduced on the caves beta, not the main branch.

I could have gotten even ONE elegant, like the beefalo carryall.

WHERE ARE MY RARE SKINS?

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TRADE FOR THE RARE I WANT IF I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO GIVE FOR IT?

Or do you want me to scam people, shark people?

Or do you want me to pay $100 in TF2/CSGO keys to a chinese guy who has multiple accounts farming skins?

Or do you want me to pay $100 in TF2/CSGO keys to a chinese guy who has multiple accounts farming skins?

lol why'd you specify Chinese? 

I feel ya man. You're always on the forums helping people with their mods and/or dumb questions, so you especially deserve a little love, but unfortunately the rng gods are an impartial bunch. unless... *dons tinfoil fedora* somebody sneaked in a clause condemning you to only the crappiest of common drops. m'conspiracy. 

Seriously though, I have high hopes for the trade inn. Hopefully it will alleviate some of your concerns, and allow you to cash in on your commons. 

I have 915 hours logged in.

I got all batches of 4 skins since they were in the beta.

I won a grand total of 0 elegants and 0 distinguisheds.

I also saw people getting a distinguished on their first skin batch.

I play a lot too and i have all the drops too and my best skins are 2x spiffy and 1x wes head

i won a grand total of 1 elegant - where are my other elegants???

i saw people getting 2 heads in one week or 3 distinguished in first 4 drops, also saw 1 new guy that was new to DS/DST and he get 2nd drop elegant head and he asked "what is this and how can i use it" so - where are my 2 heads??? where are my 3 distinguished??? :/

I saw your posts where you helping people and answering tons of questions and it is super cool from you but you are not special in any way dude you have just bad luck and there is tons of other players with bad luck probably but dont worry you get something too eventually ... i saw one of your posts that you want distinguished tuxedo and nothing else and you will be happy forever ... well first of all this will change really quickly when klei adds new items BUT add me and i will get you that tuxedo .)

i won a grand total of 1 elegant - where are my other elegants??? i saw people getting 2 heads in one week or 3 distinguished in first 4 drops, also saw 1 new guy that was new to DS/DST and he get 2nd drop elegant head and he asked "what is this and how can i use it" so - where are my 2 heads??? where are my 3 distinguished??? :/

You at least got one.

With one elegant you can trade 1:1 to get what you want.

If everybody got at least a guaranteed elegant then the situation would be a lot more fair.

BUT add me and i will get you that tuxedo .)

I appreciate the gesture, it gives some light to your profile.

I would refuse it, however, because it would appear like I would be forcing your hand, which wasn't the point behind my rants at all.

However, I already got that tuxedo, and it wasn't a drop, mind you. It was a gift, and I'm eternally grateful.

Now, you might be asking:

OMG WHAT THEN YOU JUST COMPLAIN FOR COMPLAIN YOU GREEDY?

I think about the people that won't have it gifted to them. The system is unfair.

The huge issue I have is:

you have just bad luck and there is tons of other players with bad luck probably but dont worry you get something too eventually ...

This "bad luck" system encourages people scamming, people sharking, people getting stuck with a lot of garbage items.

This system allows people to get ripped off in the bartering process.

This system has a quadrillion items from which people pick some and toss the rest away because they suck.

This system has people spending money in the form of keys and gifts, that won't go to Klei.

Is it wrong? Well, no. It is what it is, it's intended.

But the system can be so much better than this, so I am not OK with this at all.

You know what I did with all the commons, classy, spiffy items I didn't want? I gave them away.

My friends said "if you don't want it, then why not give it?", so I did.

"What a nice skirt." "You want it? You can have it."

I didn't even want them for the Trade Inn.

You know what is sitting on my inventory right now? The tuxedo.

And the 4 skins of this week, that I will give away later.

That's it.

I just think that as awareness raises, the probability of a economic shitstorm will increase.

And I don't want that for Don't Starve.

I just want to play videogames.

A market for 100% free items sounds like a totally safe and not at all horrible accident waiting to happen. Let people trade for what they want to, and even then, if you believe the 2=1 rule, then 10 common items would be an overpayment for an elegant. But hey, who cares about fair trades when you can sell things for $0.03!!??!!?!?!? At the rate items drop, after a while pretty much everything would be $0.03 on the market, because, ITS ALL ENTIRELY FREE AND YOU GET 4 A WEEK. This would make people not want to trade for anything, the items wouldn't be regarded as special or rare at all, and those with the big bucks (like... $4.) could have every item they wanted after a while of snaking around the market. And God, please, no Max Co. Crate like deals. Just keep it all as it is, if anything, make it so they can only be traded for other DST items to end any and essentially all economic issues.

I just want to play videogames.

So do and stop caring about drops!

1. first of all we were testing skins and we have much more that people not in beta beta so not that skins are free but we have like 2 moths of free free skins

2. we are only starting with skins and much more is coming so you will be swimming in elegant skins after a while don't worry

3. there is no game in world that is dropping items with rarity and you have BEST ITEM IN GAME as sure drop dude. Try getting good drops in CSGO for example and OH since they are marketable (as some people here want) and you want best item in game you need to pay around 1-2000€ (probably lot more)

But the system can be so much better than this, so I am not OK with this at all.

All right, so you don't like the current system. But then how do you suggest it be changed so it becomes better? Guaranteed to get at least one elegant a month? I don't know how they'd figure out the maths for that, and having guaranteed drops devalues the rarer drops, both aesthetically and monetarily. As that bad guy from the Incredibles said about selling his super-power inventions, "once everyone is super, no one will be."

And if there's one thing fun thing about Don't Starve, it's that it NEVER HOLDS YOUR HAND. This is the same in trading. In the end trading is a risk and anyone who takes it had to be aware that they might get scammed. Just suck it up and prepare for next time. Isn't that exactly what you'd do when actually playing the game and dying to something new?

I always had the impression that the point of the skin system was to make players on a server look as different as possible. When the skins were barely in concept phase I was thinking that on release we would get an entire batch of full body skins (basically the GoH character avatars) that would be unique and, well, really cool. And they would be available from day one to everyone, no luck or randomness involved.

The way things are at the moment Guest of Honor heads coupled with certain distinguished items have the biggest visual impact, and since only a handful of players have them, the initial point of skins, which is variety in character appearance, is achieved on very rare occasions. Having skin pieces for different body parts does indeed offer variety as far as outfits go, but it's a rather poor one that is limited by the common items (exception when the piece stands out due to the color, electrolytic blue & downright neighborly yellow).

At the same time I believe that it would have been somewhat wiser to focus on having variety for items that are used most extensively in the game. The backpacks skins are a good example of this. Log Armor, Football Helmet, Walking Cane, Spear, Beefalo Hat, Tam o Shanter, Lantern; these are some of the things that a player is wearing during the biggest part of the game and compose his "outfit" during the seasons. Wilson can have the weirdest haircut in the world but if it won't be visible for the biggest part of the game due to a Football Helmet or an Eyebrella it's a waste of a skin concept.

how sales of rare items work vcckx9uquc.png

rare items that are old and no longer distributed 1eip9upcxt.png

not rare items vhcyuqsc70.png

What I'm saying is that the prices for these items will go really high at first because thats how people work, but over time people won't pay 50$ for a GoH they'll pay closer to what the community as a whole puts the value on it, what the steam market does is maintain a common value for an item based solely on what people want to pay for an item vs what people want to sell it for, Supply and demand, right now theres all sorts of demand, and no supply, and the worst part, no information. We can't make educated guesses at prices and we are at the mercy of the seller to pay 50$ for a GoH (example prices)

This is a problem for everyone who wants to trade or buy with money, and if you don't like to trade then don't, I wish you luck to getting your drops, and if you don't have money to pay for items, then I wish you luck in your drops as well, but if you have money and you want to pay for someone who waited a long time, or more common as it seems a very short time, there should be nothing wrong with that, everyone benefits. the person who paid money gets a silly skin in game, the person who waited for a drop got enough money to buy a game, or whatever they want, and the people on the server don't care at all.

The skin system right now seems like they're working toward value of some sort with the Trade Inn thing. I hope in the future they also allow a market to regulate the prices, or allow an in game market with in game tokens that allow for finite value. I don't care if I can't pay for a random drop with money, I at least want to have the gap in value bridged between trashy common drops and distinguished/Goh items, so that even people who are never lucky can work their way to getting what they want.

I guess most of you are new to Steam OR you play only DS/DST on Steam but let me tell you. Market or no market there will be people to overpay for items anyway and also if Klei add new batch of skins and someone get NEW head first he will put it on market for like 100€ and there will always be someone that will buy it only to have it first lol. And most of players don't even know about market anyway. How is it different from now? Also IDK how many GOH skins are in world right now but i BET if they are marketable they will be gone in seconds OR cost 100€ for one aaaand we don't want that right?

You need to realise that these items are free for you and people like some skins NOT BECAUSE of their rarity but because they like them. Not everyone is greedy and want only Wigi head but they are cool with some commons and black shoes.

ALSO i don't know if you saw those GOH and distinguished skins in game but most of them look really bad AND they will have ZERO value when Klei adds new head skins in game. SO you don't like someone overpaying $ for their skins? Let them and also ... welcome to steam since day 1 :-) Market will change nothing and after that if i see someone with full inventory of heads i will think it is some small kid with tons of money to spend for free items :grin:

Klei will never add marketable items because that is not their style. I am also concerned about Trading INN but i hope they know what they are doing. If everyone had Wigfrid GOH what would be the point really? Again everyone looking them same? I like how it is now because when i enter server i see people checking their outfits and not because searching for rare items but to see what people did with different items ... i saw lot better common sets that people created than that flat ugly valkyrie armor (was really disappointed by that one) and if you see in server someone with GOH you get excited. 

you're just claiming that the items look bad when really it's all based on the buyers taste, for one I love the party frock and everyone I keep talking to says they hate it, its all a matter of opinion. 

In response to the thing about the market, look at the graphs in the above post, yes that will be what happens right away, but over time the price will stabilize. 

That's not how it works.

If a cellphone is worth 1 cent to me because I already have 4 of them, it won't cost 1 cent.

If everyone values that very common dropping cellphone at a worthless price then that is what will happen.

And besides that but even if you are the only person with 4 and you hate it, go ahead and sell it because someone else will like it. good on you.

That's not what I meant, I meant one skin would cost around 8-10 cents if their value becomes anything similar to steam trading cards, so with a couple bucks someone could get any skin they want.

You're assuming that they will follow the trading card route which is based on badges that only certain people on steam enjoy, and a set drop ammount for a game when you buy it, this is a completely different system in regards to nearly everyone liking skins or having a use for them, and the fact that they will continue to drop week after week. It would be better to compare it to Csgo because you get a single weekly drop there, and you have to pay to play the game.

WHERE ARE MY RARE SKINS?

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TRADE FOR THE RARE I WANT IF I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO GIVE FOR IT?

Or do you want me to scam people, shark people?

this, so much of this, without getting a single rare drop you are left in a situation where you are overpaying or being cruel.

A market for 100% free items sounds like a totally safe and not at all horrible accident waiting to happen. Let people trade for what they want to, and even then, if you believe the 2=1 rule, then 10 common items would be an overpayment for an elegant. But hey, who cares about fair trades when you can sell things for $0.03!!??!!?!?!? At the rate items drop, after a while pretty much everything would be $0.03 on the market, because, ITS ALL ENTIRELY FREE AND YOU GET 4 A WEEK. This would make people not want to trade for anything, the items wouldn't be regarded as special or rare at all, and those with the big bucks (like... $4.) could have every item they wanted after a while of snaking around the market. And God, please, no Max Co. Crate like deals. Just keep it all as it is, if anything, make it so they can only be traded for other DST items to end any and essentially all economic issues.

I would be fine having some sort of in game free currency, it doesn't have to be real money. But just having a way to value ??? commons to 1 GoH is good enough.

I want to state, I'm not looking for the steam market to rule over this, I'm looking for market that klei can implement where everything is still free. it will generally follow market practices though because this is how trading in real life works, it worked with the steam market over time, it works in real life, and it will work here.

The issue is how money isn't supposed to play a part in it at all (they are free drops after all), and to get around this people trade steam items that hold value. Bartering may be inefficient, but if both parties are willing to make the transaction that's the end of that (at least it should be). When you start tossing in $ then we get this sense of "was I ripped off" because it was no longer just a free item that was exchanged.

I can only hope that the Trading Inn will resolve this predicament. 

Archived