How To Set Up A DST Big Portrait (including the name) - SIMPLE TUTORIAL/TEMPLATE

Hello everyone!

My name is Fidooop, and I'm here to show you how to make a nice lovely DST big portrait base!

First you'll want the big portrait template:

post-306905-0-08693700-1434859858_thumb.

CREDIT TO THIS THREAD: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/48968-dont-starve-together-mod-character-select-bigportrait-backgrounds/

(scroll to Kzisor's post for the 4 different versions WITH a slight glow on them!)

Then you'll want the template for the letters:

post-306905-0-20825100-1434859905_thumb.

HUGE CREDIT to my friend Erik Debawse! (Known on the forums as DudeDude... I think...)

He and I had the idea to do this to make it a million times easier and he threw together all the letters! (Because he's a million times better with art/image editing than I am.)

Now for the tutorial half of this post!

Your first step will be to copy each of the letters of your character's name and paste them into a new TRANSPARENT image as different layers. (For step two to be easier on you.)

EXAMPLE:

post-306905-0-56762300-1434859860_thumb.

(I kinda... Cheated and grabbed the Q for the 3rd O and just erased the tail...)

Step two is to grab your deform tool. (Most image editing programs have it.)

Deform, resize, rotate, move up/down etc. each of the letters to get a nice randomly placed un-even font size to get that ransom letter look!

EXAMPLE:

post-306905-0-97163200-1434859861_thumb.

Now for step three! merge the layers together, copy the image, and paste as a new layer. Take said layer, put it underneath the first, move it in position for a "shadow", and make it ever so slightly larger! (With the deform tool)

EXAMPLE:

post-306905-0-34253000-1434859864_thumb.

Step four is here! Your next step is to color the background layer of letters black. But how do you do it? Well my solution was to use the select tool, select the name, grab the fill in bucket tool, make sure I'm using black, and fill in each of the letters! But you can do it your own way if you feel it's better or faster.

EXAMPLE:

post-306905-0-48351100-1434859866_thumb.

Now let's do step five. What we want to do is blur the background layer. (Most image editing software can accomplish this you just have to find out where the option is located.) Then go ahead and crop the image and merge the layers once more! (Make sure it's still transparent with no background when you finish!)

EXAMPLE:

post-306905-0-29228100-1434859868_thumb.

Finally, we are here... The final step! Copy your newly created name and paste it as a new layer on the big portrait template. Next, use the deform tool and place it in what you think is the perfect spot! (You may have to squish it a little.)

EXAMPLE:

post-306905-0-12023000-1434859875_thumb.

From this point on it's just placing your character's image over the top of both the template and the name in order for it to match the style of the other big portraits! (Make sure you get that nice lovely paper cut out effect by making a new layer underneath and putting grey around the edges!)

EXAMPLE OF PAPER CUT OUT:

post-306905-0-08590800-1434865960_thumb.

Darkiplier big portrait art by Psychohog! http://xpsychohogx.tumblr.com/

We really do wish there was a template for numbers! (0-9) Because... yknow... There are mod characters that use numbers in their names... If someone makes a number template for this I'll throw it in here and give you credit though! :grin:

Want this tutorial all wrapped up in a nice little zip for you? Here ya go!

DST BIG PORTRAIT TEMPLATE TURORIAL.zip

Thanks to anyone to uses this! I hope your big portraits come out perfectly! ^-^

By following these steps look at what I was able to create!

post-306905-0-70230000-1434882262_thumb.

(I DID NOT MAKE THE ART! I merely ported it to DST versions!)

Wilford was drawn by monodes http://monodes.tumblr.com/

Muyskerm was drawn by Psychohog http://xpsychohogx.tumblr.com/

Markiplier was drawn by The Letter W http://theletterwsartflap.tumblr.com/

Edited by Fidooop

@Fidooop, alternatively you could ask PeterA for the fonts. I don't know if he wants them to be public, but he will give them to those which ask for them. 

I did ask... but the link he gave wasn't of much use at all because everything was far too small and it was all solid black... D:

I ended up giving up on updating big portraits until just yesterday when my friend Erik and I came up with the idea of making our own template for everyone's lives to be 10x easier! :D

@Fidooop, the link he gave you is to a .ttf file which you download and install in your fonts folder which can then be used by any program which accesses the installed fonts on your computer, such as Gimp or Photoshop. Inside Gimp and Photoshop you're able to alter the colors at will to what the font should look like. 

Edited by Kzisor

@Fidooop, the link he gave you is to a .ttf file which you download and install in your fonts folder which can then be used by any program which accesses the installed fonts on your computer, such as Gimp or Photoshop. Inside Gimp and Photoshop you're able to alter the colors at will to what the font should look like. 

Too late now... What can you do?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT:

Thanks for telling me though... I would have never thought that the otf (Yeah, I just checked and it's not a ttf) could be used as a font!

Edited by Fidooop

Too late now... What can you do?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT:

Thanks for telling me though... I would have never thought that the otf (Yeah, I just checked and it's not a ttf) could be used as a font!

It's not too late, it's never too late to add an alternative method that is faster and simpler than the original method.

All you need to do is literally add the link, add a step by step guide (which is really only three steps) and you're done.

Guide:

Download font file.

Close applications and open font file.

Install font.

Launch applications.

• Developer

It's not too late, it's never too late to add an alternative method that is faster and simpler than the original method.

All you need to do is literally add the link, add a step by step guide (which is really only three steps) and you're done.

Guide:

Download font file.

Close applications and open font file.

Install font.

Launch applications.

Well, this font already comes white and with noise, resembling the original one, also, this is only a matter of copying and pasting, which is actually easier than the font stuff.

Edited by ImDaMisterL

• Developer

@ImDaMisterL, no it has never been released to my knowledge, it isn't finished to my knowledge and is the main reason why they haven't released it. E.G. it's missing lower case characters.

It is missing the lower case letters, yes, but it has been released!

I actually have it installed in my PC.

It is missing the lower case letters, yes, but it has been released!

I actually have it installed in my PC.

Based on this post:

I have a rough draft of the font (it's not quite in a share-able state). Send me a PM if you'd like it.

It wasn't in a share-able state as of Jan 12 and that is the last time a discussion has been brought up about it. So if you have the font installed you either got it from PeterA himself or someone who got it from him, as he stated in the same topic that the font used in the big portraits are all hand drawn.

Link to original post which requested the font: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/48046-font/

• Developer

Based on this post:

It wasn't in a share-able state as of Jan 12 and that is the last time a discussion has been brought up about it. So if you have the font installed you either got it from PeterA himself or someone who got it from him, as he stated in the same topic that the font used in the big portraits are all hand drawn.

Link to original post which requested the font: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/48046-font/

It's the rough draft he made, yes. That's the one I have.

Here is the unofficial Don't Starve Big Portrait font.

Download here.

LEGAL INFORMATION:

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR

IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

Enjoy!

P.S. PeterA you can remove the warranty information if needed.

Edited by Kzisor