Birds no longer accept food at night

bird update poll  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of birds not accepting food at night?

• It's a good feature
    • I don't like it

I really dislike this feature. I used to cook and use the birds during the nighttime when there isn't much else to do, and now I just stand around doing nothing but waiting until daylight to exchange/replenish food and cook when I'd normally be utilizing daylight doing stuff away from the base. I love a challenge. I say make the game as hard as possible. But this, in my opinion, is one of those game features that is just plain annoying rather than challenging. 

I am interested to see other opinions though. What are your thoughts on this change?

It's like the pig king, it sleeps during night and doesn't accept items for gold.

I don't mind it, I take half a day to process all my monster meat, so I always have eggs ready by my ice box.

And just before eggs spoil after like what, 10 days, you can cook them to make them last like 3 days more.

I don't like it too. But I accept that it kinda makes sense to let the redbirds, etc rest.

I wish they introduce a bird that's active at night. An owl? That one only comes out dusk and night. And you can catch it and feed it stuff only during those times.

I would like a bird that's awake at night, too. It would encourage the building of more than one cage.

Or maybe the bird can only eat so many things per period of time, then a short cooldown (2 items per bird and then the ability to eat one item restores with each clock segment?)

At night is the main time I feed it, so this is irritating to me. I also don't like encouraging people to hang around the base during the day even more. Day is for explore, night is for build and maintenance, that's how I loved things...

I would rather be encouraged to build more cages or such, even if it's resource-heavy to do so. It would make a good late game goal.

I don't like it too. But I accept that it kinda makes sense to let the redbirds, etc rest.

I wish they introduce a bird that's active at night. An owl? That one only comes out dusk and night. And you can catch it and feed it stuff only during those times.

How about an Owllynx (animal mix of an Owl and a Lynx) >_>

Look, in all honesty getting food was never the problem.

Especially in multiplayer since..... The problem comes from so many people dying stupid deaths that cause you to have a constant sanity drain.

You won't be able to have enough green caps, flowers, cactuses cooked or jerky to keep yourself up as well as others when that happens.

I am a fan of small little features like animals sleeping and I think birds being able to sleep is a nice addition. 10/10 would be ignored by bird again.

However if the backlash proves too strong then I would recommend possibly allowing players to feed a sleeping bird but it has a chance to produce something like a rotten egg instead of a fresh egg. And maybe in the case of seeds it could give you a different seed type or just normal seeds instead of plant specific. 

I'm all for Klei revamping little features like this. 

its okay but there is a glitch, you can take the bird from the cage and bput in it again, then feed it before they go back to sleep, I hope you fix it somehow, ist fine and gives more realism and seriousness to the cage as a mechanic but this detail feels like a easy way or a glitch even if it doesn't is.

I loved the idea of the owl but could be dangerous not? when I think of owls and Don't starve I think in this guy

Skreecher.PNG

its okay but there is a glitch, you can take the bird from the cage and bput in it again, then feed it before they go back to sleep

This might actually be intended.. It makes sense that forcing the bird out of the cage and back in would wake it up right? I just feel like if it were intended it would be something new.. Like a RMB to "Rattle the cage" or something. Intended or not I do like being able to wake it up, possibly in a slightly more sadistic way than I should...  

Proceeds to play "Red light, Green light: Snowbird Edition"   

This might actually be intended.. It makes sense that forcing the bird out of the cage and back in would wake it up right? I just feel like if it were intended it would be something new.. Like a RMB to "Rattle the cage" or something. Intended or not I do like being able to wake it up, possibly in a slightly more sadistic way than I should...  

Proceeds to play "Red light, Green light: Snowbird Edition"   

That could be better, just hit the cage to scare the bird right? the way to wake up the bird can be simple or sadistic like you say but is necessary anyway:     "Hey wake up you lazy eggs-machine!!!, eat this!!!"

when I think of owls and Don't starve I think in this guy

*PictureOfBigBird*

BEGONE DEMON! 

Actually, I always toyed with the idea of a mod that puts these guys in as a fake hallucination ( actually fake, not like those other "hallucinations") but only in very sneaky and secretive place. Which would be at the end of the pointless dead end paths in the caves. Spice things up a bit. :grin:

I also wanted to make the normal treeguards become spooky. Like trying to swipe at people who are cutting down trees before getting up first, meaning you would have to keep a look out for any trees that might be raising a giant claw to slash at you.

Archived