So... What is it about ghosts?

My whole base got destroyed by one dead kid talking about "the winter is coming, time for a wipe" in survival mod on a dedicated server without admin at the moment. He destroyed my freezers and chests, crock pot and other stuff, then just burned a bush near by and pulled some of items into it for chain reaction. And I wasnt able to do anything about it... Is anything coming to solve this problem soon? Because Im not really up to endless mod or to the wilderness and survival mod I found now unacceptable to play on dedicated servers...

My whole base got destroyed by one dead kid talking about "the winter is coming, time for a wipe" in survival mod on a dedicated server without admin at the moment. He destroyed my freezers and chests, crock pot and other stuff, then just burned a bush near by and pulled some of items into it for chain reaction. And I wasnt able to do anything about it... Is anything coming to solve this problem soon? Because Im not really up to endless mod or to the wilderness and survival mod I found now unacceptable to play on dedicated servers...

1. Play in Wilderness.

2. Make multiple camps.

3. Don't share camp with others.

I wouldn't mind if ghosts would lose 1 of their abilities: start fires. Or at least make it a setting at the world creation screen. I don't think a single ghost should be able to change the fate of a dozen other players just because he decides to go full retard and doesn't want to disconnect but instead start haunting stuff like crazy even after given notice what the consequences might be.

Of course, we are talking about public servers over here...

Ghost griefers.  Who ya gonna call?

If only there was some kind of containment unit you could store malevolent spirits in.  Or even friendly ones, with the trade-off of the resource cost of the structure and the loss of any assistance from the ghosts in exchange for not losing sanity while you hunt around for materials to revive them.  Could also be useful if it could store Abigail to prevent her from following along on trips to the swamp.  It'd need the machine component for an on/off switch, plus a trap for catching ghosts...

(Obviously if there's enough people aware of the problem you could just vote-kick the griefer, but this would be a more viable alternative for a quick response by a single player.)

Ghost griefers.  Who ya gonna call?
Hey, I was going to say that. 

If only there was some kind of containment unit you could store malevolent spirits in
nah. Can you imagine the frustration of being killed then forced into a jar so you can't make anything in a developed world? Heck, even in the best situation(cooperative players locking another to prevent sanity drain) it would still be bad for gameplay, as one player would simply be locked out of the game.

Well, I dont really want to spend a while for quoting so just eat what I think:

Most of DST players are newbs which wont make it through the 1st chapter of adventure mod, which makes a lot of ppl to ragequit.

Making multiple camps sucks, noone should claim what is mine since I dont want to coop with those who are not worthy.

I build in swamp to avoid meetings with ppl, noobs arent getting there, but ghosts... They like this place. Annoying the heck out of me.

Ghosts can not only set fires, but destroy structures :(

What would I like to see is some ghosts having energy as their action points and health, it can be drained by taking damage/doing any action/some anti - ghost building which will drain it or make ghosts any vulnerable(or way more vulnerable).(which can also be usefull to make some waves of ghosts going for the player like when you dig all the graves at the interlude of adventure mode in Dont Starve). If this energy would regenerate slowly normally and by loosing all of it ghost will be respawned at the spawn then with some speed decrease for player ghosts it will be pretty fair and fun for both, dead and alive players. But passive sanity drain should be at least reduced to some aura - range, instead of being global -_-

How about these:

• A structure functioning as a ghost repellent. Maybe a tree with a house similar to the one in the following image:

Mqb8t3X.png

• An item that makes ghosts unable to haunt stuff in a radius similar to how flingo range works, such as a horseshoe. (beefaloeshoe? voltgoatshoe? deerclopshoe?)

Y9cFKvd.png

• Wind chimes are believed to scare away the bad spirits. Maybe add another trinket consisting of a piece of wind chime? The horseshoe mentioned earlier could also be a trinket that has a chance to be dug from a grave or found in tumbleweeds.

@ailailou, Hey you know how someone made a mod which made turkeys run away from gnomes what if there was a item called "Salt" and you can put it on the ground so there were invisible walls keeping dead players from getting pass the "Salty barriers" and give it to a ghost to teleport them away, also make it so there map works like they are in chapter 6 in adventure mode in don't starve single player until they revive and get there map back.

I'm gonna be right up front here, but most times I have died, nine out o ten on multiplayer, isn't due to my lack of ability to how to play the game.

It's either because ghosts simply drain sanity away to the point where all the mushrooms I have picked in the world won't mean much, or my jerky supply and my nice top hat.... Since there are either multiple ghosts of people who have died in surplus or, much more infuriatingly, just one asshat who won't get off the server and decides to stay on to be a jerk to everyone else... Hopefully they won't set whatever structures you have on fire, but good luck with that.

Ghost griefing is even worse then the supposed firestarter willow, which was silly because anyone can pick up a torch, though she was just better with fires. Ghosts not only destroy and burn things, but they also drain sanity. Yay.....

It likely says something when I go on a modded server to find out many people have been playing Maxwell for his sanity boost, only to die due to how little health he has.

I would hate it if they removed survival mode sanity drain from ghosts cause there would be no reason to revive someone also ghosts are sometimes useful turning flowers into evil flower, spawning tree guards (or setting the trees on fire ;-;), or making pigs into werepigs without using monster meat but I've never played with anyone long enough to do these.

How about these:

• A structure functioning as a ghost repellent. Maybe a tree with a house similar to the one in the following image:

Mqb8t3X.png

• An item that makes ghosts unable to haunt stuff in a radius similar to how flingo range works, such as a horseshoe. (beefaloeshoe? voltgoatshoe? deerclopshoe?)

Y9cFKvd.png

• Wind chimes are believed to scare away the bad spirits. Maybe add another trinket consisting of a piece of wind chime? The horseshoe mentioned earlier could also be a trinket that has a chance to be dug from a grave or found in tumbleweeds.

A very clever solution, really, this or something with the same concept should be in the game, I know how problematic can be a boring noob child

How about these:

Mqb8t3X.png

Y9cFKvd.png

I think these would be great. Though instead of warding the Ghost Player out completely, I think they should have a radius like the Flingomatics, and within that radius things can't be haunted. However, in the case of Endless, they should have a no build zone near the Portal. 

This way you dispel the griefing type, but friendly Ghosts can still hang around to plan things with you. 

Archived