Introduce Ghost Warding Options To Combat Ghost Griefers

Currently on public servers(dedicated/player-hosted) when a player dies and decide to haunt because they have nothing else to do, you have no way to combat against that unless you are the server host. If you were host, and a ghost deliberately ruins everyone's base you can just kick/ban the player and rollback the server. But on dedicated servers, in survival or endless modes you really have no way to retaliate against such assaults. I will also discuss PvP and non-PvP servers later.

SUGGESTION:
So this is where I'd like to suggest a few options to help combat against unruly player ghosts:
  • Ghost Warding Talisman - Recipe: Papyrus + Nightmare Fuel + Charcoal
    • If a ghost haunts a player that has this item in their inventory, the ghost will be instantly teleported elsewhere on the map with a distance that would more or less take them one whole game day (daylight+dusk+night) to return to the same spot where they first haunted the player. The player would not be haunted and no item will pop out of their inventory. A ghost warding talisman can only ward off ghosts FIVE times before it gets destroyed.
    • If a container has a Ghost Warding Talisman in it, no ghost can haunt the chest indefinitely unless a player removes the talisman from the chest. 
    • A player will be allowed to use the talisman on a ghost IF and only IF the ghost has deliberately/unintentionally set ONE flammable object in-game on fire. The animation would be much like giving the ghost a telltale heart, but instead of the ghost being resurrected, they would lose the ability to haunt for the rest of the talisman's durability. Duration is up to debate, maybe just enough that the person will just end up asking for help or leave the server. Ghosts will not be able to tell how long before the talisman wears off. Although this wouldn't stop a ghost-made forest fire, but will hopefully deter future ghost-made forest fires intentional or not. Optional: Ghosts will now have a piece of papyrus covering their faces.
    • Suggested by The Letter W - "Alternatively, the Talisman should also be able to summon Ghosts to you so you can revive them."
  • Blessed Turf - Recipe: Any turf + Ghost Warding Talisman
    • Example: Forest Turf + Ghost Warding Talisman = Blessed Forest Turf
    • Ghosts can't cross over these turfs.
    • Optional: Ghost will see the turf differently than how other players that are alive see it. Maybe something visual as just to differentiate Blessed Turfs from normal turfs.
  • WardingTotem - Recipe: Logs + Ghost Warding Talisman + Nightmare Fuel NEW!
    • Instead of Blessed Turfs, Warding Totems has been suggested.
    • Warding Totems will ONLY disable any player ghost from haunting or interacting with anything nearby. At a distance of either a lightning rod or as wide as one player screen. Distance is up for debate.
    • Warding Totem will NOT restrict movement into the area, only disable haunting as long as the Warding Totem is lit.
    • A Warding Totem will not disable ghosts from haunting or interacting with the Jury-Rigged Portal on Endless Mode servers so they can revive themselves.
    • Fueled by nightmare fuel. Max amount of fuel and max Ghost Warding duration is up to debate.
    • Suggested by Redpineavilmask.

On dedicated endless PvP servers, items mentioned above will give living players a way to combat ghosts, if another player decides to stay as a ghost just to mess with people. Nobody would want to stay as ghosts for too long if we had these items or versions of such.

On dedicated survival PvP servers, these items will help deter ghosts from pestering other players but still be able to haunt productively to help the server for as short time as possible. Since currently any player ghost on a survival server, gives a sanity penalty to other living players on the server so they either have to work together to get them to resurrected as soon as possible.

EXPLOIT OR ISSUES:
Some exploit, if a person uses Blessed Turfs around the spawn portal in a public or dedicated endless server. Ghosts, even the ones that haven't done anything that would harm other players will have no way to respawn with the Jury-Rigged Portal. To make sure this isn't done, nobody should be able to fully enclose the Jury-Rigged Portal with Blessed Turfs. No matter how large the circle of Blessed Turfs is. Or sectioning the Jury-Rigged Portal off from other parts of the island can not be completed to fully block off ghosts from getting to the Jury-Rigged Portal.

And issue I've figured out is if a player dies in his/her own camp enclosed in Blessed Turfs, they wouldn't be able to get out. On the next paragraph I'll be suggesting a way to counter this situation.

The way for servers to know whether someone is closing the Jury-Rigged Portal off with Blessed Turfs may take a lot of work to implement, unless there would be a Go To Jury-Rigged Portal button for ghosts that would ignore all Blessed Turfs but the ghost player should NOT be able to cancel the automated action to go back to the Jury-Rigged Portal so that they wouldn't use this to pass through another player's camp that is enclosed in blessed turfs then cancel the action and wreck havoc in that camp.

CLOSING REMARKS:
And that's the gist of my suggestions. If anyone has anything more to add or have figured out a loop or other exploits to these suggestions, let me know down below. Cheers!

Notes:
  • Item names, recipes, uses, durability are all up to debate.
  • All numbers in caps, bold and are in the courier new font style are variables. i.e. ONE, FIVE
  • I'm sorry, I have no pictures for these suggestions. 

I like these ideas. However, I think a major problem that needs to be fixed first is the ghosts themselves. Ghosts are very unbalanced, with no detriments at all if you just want to wander around invincible. They're currently on par or worse than a giant (Deerclops/Dragonfly) in terms of destructive potential, except we have no way to stop them. Something will probably change, and might make anti-ghost items unnecessary.

We're also missing some tools that would help. The ice-flinger and ice will help reduce ghost-fire damage. Maybe the dragonfly chest could be non-ghost destructible. Lots of potential new items could help, but the ghosts themselves need adjusting.

Well, I dont have much to say, you pretty much put your suggestion and its own problems out there, but I do have something to say about this:

"nobody should be able to fully enclose the Jury-Rigged Portal with Blessed Turfs. No matter how large the circle of Blessed Turfs is."

Uhmmm...I'd say this is still a problem :S. As you said it would be really hard for the server to know when this is being done AND imagine if the person doing this were to make biiiiiig circle around the portal... It could still be used to grief ghosts :/ You could be searching for that ONE passing through to get to the portal ...Could take you forever.

Its a nice idea in my opinion...But I really would feel bad for the ghosts :/

@Redpine, that's a good idea for ghost warding. It wouldn't ward off ghosts indefinitely. Any ghosts caught in a just relit warding totem's area of effect, get's pushed out. The range could be as large as a lightning rod? or smaller. The totem should only affect a ghost player if they can see it on their screen. The refueling aspect is great so it wouldn't be used to grief and block off other ghosts from reviving themselves with the portal in Endless Mode. Either way, thanks for sharing.

About blessed turf.

Maybe better to make a totem, that protect certain area around it? And doesn't prevent ghosts from ENTERING an area, but prevent them from INTERACTION with items in it (except portal of course). And maybe make it refuelable to maintain.

@avilmask, Redpine also suggested Totems. And your idea of ONLY restricting interaction is good too. The Blessed Totem will hinder ghosts from haunting anything nearby except for ghosts that will interact with the Jury-Rigged Portal in Endless Mode.

Thanks for the idea. I'll add both your suggestions to OP.

Currently on public servers(dedicated/player-hosted) when a player dies and decide to haunt because they have nothing else to do, you have no way to combat against that unless you are the server host

Then its better to have no ghosts?? First at all its an interesting idea, but on the other hand, player, playing ghosts, will be even more restricted and that in an automatic way just by building some stuff. This cannot be a solution, since isolating others, you don't want see or have around simply reflects you own bad character. Instead there can be a cheaper teleporter stuff, which teleports ghosts randomly away, but 1. you ve to craft it, which should not be cheap at all, 2. you have to manually cast that spell on a player and 3. the ghost player can come back again ;-)

@werlpolf, I'd like to properly give you a reply but your post seems a little to convoluted to a point that I don't fully understand what you are trying to get at. Reasons for the confusion are as follows. First you say "instead there can be a cheaper teleporter stuff..." and then later say "you've to craft it, which should not be cheap at all". You are contradicting yourself. 

This thread is a little dated(notice when it was posted) but still somewhat relevant since ghost griefers are still prevalent in todays DST public server gaming sessions. 

On the other points you mentioned:
Then its better to have no ghosts?
That isn't the goal here, the purpose is to have a way for players on public dedicated servers with no admins present during a ghost griefer's attack to be able to retaliate and handle a ghost griefer accordingly.

• If the ghost griefer is messing with your stuff, you can put up a Totem and they won't be able to hunt your chests and structures. 
  • If they are simply messing around your camp and attempting to burn your resources(forests,farms) that aren't covered by Totems, then using a Ghost Warding Talisman will reduce their effectiveness in messing with stuff around your camp.

...isolating others, you don't want see or have around simply reflects you own bad character...
Again to reiterate my point here, these things are for players to have a better way to handle ghost griefers. Any other ghost player be it an ally or an actual friend, wouldn't be restricted if any of these features were added cause you can simply revive them. The point of the game is to survive after all, not be ghosties floating around wandering aimlessly.

@Zillvr,

sorry for the confusion, I tried to keep it short. With crafting stuff I meant just introducing something you can craft, which teleports ghosts away. I am also not intending to offent someone here of course, but

thing is, even if people behave bad like these ghost-grievers, we should not make their life even more worse, since they have also feelings. Giving them a simple understanding and try to understand them, is much more worth then crafting such barriers <- my oppinion

@Zillvr,

sorry for the confusion, I tried to keep it short. With crafting stuff I meant just introducing something you can craft, which teleports ghosts away. I am also not intending to offent someone here of course, but

thing is, even if people behave bad like these ghost-grievers, we should not make their life even more worse, since they have also feelings. Giving them a simple understanding and try to understand them, is much more worth then crafting such barriers <- my oppinion

I don't think trolls have any feelings

Archived