Please implement A "Pause" Button

Dear Devs,

you are really doing a great job!

I dont know if this matter has been brought up yet so I will:

in the Single-player game the game stops if you press ESC or open the map. You probably dont want that in DST. However please consider adding a "Pause" Button to i. e. then ESC-Menu. So people can go to the Toilet or have tactical discussions if there is a Deerclops attack.

This is especially important since I have convinced 2 or maybe 4 Friends to start playing DST that are new to the game. We want to play coop (more or less) and I would appreciate it if I could stop the game to i. e. explain what they should do to not die of a cold.

Thank you very much!

Dear Devs,

you are really doing a great job!

I dont know if this matter has been brought up yet so I will:

in the Single-player game the game stops if you press ESC or open the map. You probably dont want that in DST. However please consider adding a "Pause" Button to i. e. then ESC-Menu. So people can go to the Toilet or have tactical discussions if there is a Deerclops attack.

This is especially important since I have convinced 2 or maybe 4 Friends to start playing DST that are new to the game. We want to play coop (more or less) and I would appreciate it if I could stop the game to i. e. explain what they should do to not die of a cold.

Thank you very much!

Or just have them in a skype/steam call and deal with not being able to pause it. If there is a deerclops attack, then simply say: "We're screwed" or "Abandon Ship!" or "Let's all just kite this thing and get it over with".

There is no need for a pause button aside from administrator use. This would allow admins to stop griefing in its tracks and kick/ban problem players the moment they begin to misbehave. If you host, perhaps this could be a feature for you and your friends to use.

Everyone else would have to suffer. (Noone wants a Wes who constantly pauses the game.)

If you have to use the bathroom, or be right back just disconnect from the world - and reconnect. That way everyone keeps on playing but your characters stats and inventory dont change till you return. Thinking on that.

If you ever ran into a problem, couldn't you just tell your friends to leave the game; then you the experienced player deal with the problem and have them rejoin? It's about the same as pausing or telling them what to do, and they remain safe until you give them the all-clear to come back.

Skype/Voice Call is really... your best bet here though. I would not tell my friends to do that though, they would have to die and learn like I did the hard way (Especially if I was shouting in their ear there's hounds coming equip your spear and log suit!) Then we could have fun resurrecting one another! Yay!

Though I don't see this feature being a problem if you were playing locally. (My aforementioned solution of disconnect/reconnect remains however.)

Thanks for your responses.

I know many other games that dont have a pause button (i. e. Risk of Rain) and IMO the experience suffers If you are not able to pause for lets say a Dinner/Doorbell.

Also I dont know why Wes players (which should be more hardcore than others) should be more prone to pausing than other players.

I dont know exactly how the hosting will work, but in other games if the host leaves (i. e. to go to the toilet) the game crashes and disconnects the rest. If there will be Servers running the game non-stop then no problem ofc. I also like the idea of only the admin pausing.

DIsconnecting and reconnecting can also be a problem: when you disconnect during the day and then recconect in the night you would have some kind of a problem (If you are not fast enough with light; I am talking about making this game fun for new players too). Also why would i ever spend a sanity reducing night in DST when I can just disconnect at dusk then reconnect at morning? (i. e. I have to go to the toilet, lets wait for nightfall then set a timer to know when day breaks and get back then)

For me this doesnt sound good. This is only my opinion.

Edit: I don't want my friends learning DS to be as hard as it was for me especially since I want them to be good and helpfull soon. I do not want to risk them dying for stupid reasons over and over and losing interest in this great game before they can appreciate it.

Thanks for your responses.

I know many other games that dont have a pause button (i. e. Risk of Rain) and IMO the experience suffers If you are not able to pause for lets say a Dinner/Doorbell.

Also I dont know why Wes players (which should be more hardcore than others) should be more prone to pausing than other players.

I dont know exactly how the hosting will work, but in other games if the host leaves (i. e. to go to the toilet) the game crashes and disconnects the rest. If there will be Servers running the game non-stop then no problem ofc. I also like the idea of only the admin pausing.

DIsconnecting and reconnecting can also be a problem: when you disconnect during the day and then recconect in the night you would have some kind of a problem (If you are not fast enough with light; I am talking about making this game fun for new players too). Also why would i ever spend a sanity reducing night in DST when I can just disconnect at dusk then reconnect at morning? (i. e. I have to go to the toilet, lets wait for nightfall then set a timer to know when day breaks and get back then)

For me this doesnt sound good. This is only my opinion.

Edit: I don't want my friends learning DS to be as hard as it was for me especially since I want them to be good and helpfull soon. I do not want to risk them dying for stupid reasons over and over and losing interest in this great game before they can appreciate it.

Well, you never beat the game, and you never live forever. Eventually you take a wormhole right into a dragonfly.

You never win, you just do a little bit better each time.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go ahead and let myself out. 

RMORHFj.gif

Well, you never beat the game, and you never live forever. Eventually you take a wormhole right into a dragonfly.

You never win, you just do a little bit better each time.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go ahead and let myself out. 

ofc you are correct but I dont think a pause button would change that. IMO its funnier, if someone lands in front of the dragonfly presses pause and screams for help. What you can do during a pause is get some sort of coordinated strategy going, or explain to a newb that he has to go to the Fire to not die from cold, or that below 30 sanity tha crawling horrors attack and try to kill him

ofc you are correct but I dont think a pause button would change that. IMO its funnier, if someone lands in front of the dragonfly presses pause and screams for help. What you can do during a pause is get some sort of coordinated strategy going, or explain to a newb that he has to go to the Fire to not die from cold, or that below 30 sanity tha crawling horrors attack and try to kill him

"coordinated strategy"

Firing blow darts until you run out

strategy failed

abort

as for talking to noobs, simply give the noob the link to the wiki.

"coordinated strategy"

Firing blow darts until you run out

strategy failed

abort

as for talking to noobs, simply give the noob the link to the wiki.

Coordinated strategy: I attack the deerclops to lead it away from our base with the 100 drying racks etc. while you make a corridor of traps in the rocky terrain to the south of our base.

noobs =/= newbs

as for good manners and not trying to ridicule every argument with a poor example here is the link to the wiki:

http://www.wikihow.com/Have-Good-Manners

(Sorry for that I don't want to offend you or fight with you; I just found it funny right now)

There is no way to stop an exploit unless everybody is paused, and even so, those in "trouble" can pause unfairly even if done for "administrative" reasons. No other MP/MMO PvP has a pause. this won't either. Either log out or risk the consequences. if you want bathroom breaks, go old school sitting at a table with books dice and paper games. 

There is no way to stop an exploit unless everybody is paused, and even so, those in "trouble" can pause unfairly even if done for "administrative" reasons. No other MP/MMO PvP has a pause. this won't either. Either log out or risk the consequences. if you want bathroom breaks, go old school sitting at a table with books dice and paper games. 

Thats a good point, but how about Dota 2 for a MP/MMO PvP game? There is a pause and it works great.

Also I am wondering wether Klei really wants DST to become a MP PvP game. I thought it would be more like a MP game with some PvP aspects than dont have to be used. What I mean is that a coop DST would not suffer from Pausing.

Edit: I was intending to have a global Pause, not an individual pause for eacht player, if that was not clear from my post

Thats a good point, but how about Dota 2 for a MP/MMO PvP game? There is a pause and it works great.

Also I am wondering wether Klei really wants DST to become a MP PvP game. I thought it would be more like a MP game with some PvP aspects than dont have to be used. What I mean is that a coop DST would not suffer from Pausing.

Edit: I was intending to have a global Pause, not an individual pause for eacht player, if that was not clear from my post

Player goes on

Pauses

Never stops pausing

Troll level: Downright asshat

Player goes on

Pauses

Never stops pausing

Troll level: Downright asshat

Thats true, but in Dota2 every players can only pause once every 5 minutes or so. But I think you are right that it would be annoying on a public server.

Don't Starve genuinely shouldn't have it just for the reason your saying it should be in. If you paused the game and told people "Hey, come to my base and get some armor! It's bout' to go down!" because a Deerclops is coming then in theory you are cheating.

Don't Starve uses these bosses and natural events to surprise you and get the upper hand on you therefore you meet a conflict in the game and have to allocate your time accordingly. If you pause and say "Guys, Deerclops is coming and I need help. So lets make a plan." then pause the game, it makes everyone aware of: where to go, what to do, and how to get it done. That's too simple. It allows you to make a devastating part of the game really quick and simple by having 4 guys beat the crap out of Deerclops instead of hearing the noise and thinking who will it spawn onto. If you don't think you'll be the one then it would lead you to carry on in your own way and not prepare for a fight 1v1 against a Deerclops. 

Also, saying it works in Dota2 just doesn't work here. That's like comparing Dota2 to DayZ like it's not relevant. Also, I've played 2.3k hours into Dota2 and I can confirm that the pausing system sucks in all honesty. People will pause to create tactics which is heavily frowned upon, people will unpause when you need the pause most, people can pause just to taunt your death and add a unpleasantness into the game.

I like how the Saints Row series handle this -- map doesn't pause, but escape/main menu does, and any player can pause. Of course, this only really works in small co-op games with friends, where you know who you're playing with and most likely maintaining communication outside the game. (But in this scenario it works very, very well.) In contrast, pausing shouldn't be a thing on a "public" server.

Probably best to simply make it a serverside option; on by default for locally hosted games, off by default for dedicated servers..

If you have nothing left to lose. (Playing as Wes) You have everything to gain. Meaning if a Wes Player is in your server, they're either legitimately hardcore, or just trying to give you trouble.

Also I just use Wes as a scapegoat for my own insecurities. YOU HEAR THAT WES!? I DIED BECAUSE OF YOU!!!

(I'd never talk to another player this way though, only referring to the character.)

I like how the Saints Row series handle this -- map doesn't pause, but escape/main menu does, and any player can pause. Of course, this only really works in small co-op games with friends, where you know who you're playing with and most likely maintaining communication outside the game. (But in this scenario it works very, very well.) In contrast, pausing shouldn't be a thing on a "public" server.

Probably best to simply make it a serverside option; on by default for locally hosted games, off by default for dedicated servers..

If you're playing locally, or in a private match - I can see the pause feature being a fine implement. Perhaps give other players a certain number of times they can pause (2-3) that refills as days go by (Other players can unpause at any time) - with the Host ALWAYS being able to pause. Though... This would only be if it ever occurs in the first place.

I'm kind of with @WeepoWaWeomancer here. Don't Starve is a game about learning your environment through play. If nothing catches you off-guard the game will stay to safe, but if you want to nurture new players stay on voice chat and let them know the seriousness of what's going on or is about to happen. Preface the game with this, "You are probably going to die. I'm going to do everything I can to help you, but you are probably going to die." and if they do - it is NOT your fault. It was theirs.

I feel this level of personal responsibility for your own well-being is what makes Don't Starve such a fabulous experience in the first place, and though you may be able to work and coordinate together if a mistakes blows are softened by say being able to pause when things dont go according to plan. (Hounds hounds hounds hounds hounds hounds everyone get back to base oh sweet baby jesus.) It takes away a small piece of what makes the games learning curve fun in the first place.

I hope your friends remain interested with or without this feature.

The only way I can think of it working is that it's decided by poll, but even that would be annoying. Once the game gets paused (every player must vote yes, not majority) one guy could just decide to not vote for the unpause. 

I think though, you should be able to construct a "safehouse" if the game must be running at all times. The safehouse as expected, keeps your character safe should you suddenly have to go afk, but it will be a one-use item and not restore any health/hunger/sanity. A pause without actually pausing the game. Your character will not be affected by Charlie, monsters, etc. and maybe have the drains halved? I'm just trying to think of a way so people wouldn't just spend the first 20 days in it while their servermates slave over making a base. 

Eh  I don't think its needed, if you need to go to the bathroom or leave for a second wait until its night as usually you will be standing in the same place anyway. And if you need to leave for longer just exit the server :wilson_curious:

Here, if you disconnect, and reconnect in the night, it's a simple answer. JUST EXIT AND WAIT FOR DAY. A pause button should not be added, as it would be unrealistically annoying, joining a game while it's on pause. Not even owners should be able to pause, it's just a fact of life. Deal with it. 

How annoying would it be if you could pause reality?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I really don't get this attitude. What is different about multiplayer that pausing somehow upsets the balance and makes the game "too easy" but the same idea isn't applied to single player? Any restrictions on pausing should be purely to prevent negative effects on other players' experiences -- period. The game is already specifically balanced with the mechanic that the player can just hit Esc and take a minute to think about what's going on, and in a game where TIME is your single most valuable resource, that's a HUGE deal. Unlimited pausing -- by *anyone* -- should be an option, because that's how the game was made.

But at the same time, you don't want pausing to be abused. Hence why I suggested the ability to construct one-use safehouses - It "pauses" (read: sets your character off to the side without affecting the other players) should you need to suddenly get up. I understand there is the option of disconnecting/reconnecting but that seems like a bit more of a hassle if you just need to relieve yourself. 

Archived