WX78 Theories and Discussion

(note: I hope this is the right place to talk about this)

If there is one character that I love more than anyone else on the roster, it's WX-78.

He has so much that can be talked about!

What I'd like to do, is start a thread sharing my theories, and to hear others theories!

I'd like to hear it all, why do you think WX acts the way he does?

Who do you think built WX-78?

Why is he on the island?

I'd like to post what I think, and then see if anyone else has some theories they'd like to share.

Alright! To get started, I want to talk about something I honestly haven't heard much discussion on. (if any of you guys have a link to a thread about this, feel free to link me to it! :D)

What I'd like to talk about first is WX's skeleton.

tumblr_n84lq4RgOz1tu916ko1_250.png

tumblr_n84lq4RgOz1tu916ko3_400.png

WX's skeleton can be seen when he's struck by lightning and after he's died.

If you look closely, you can see in the lightning strike that the bolts on WX's head are screwed directly into the skull.

Now see, WX-78's skeleton calls into question if WX is a pure robot. He insists that he is a robot, but then when he dies, he produces a skeleton like the rest of the survivors.

You can tell he does not expect this, and flat out denies it's existence by saying " DOES NOT COMPUTE"

I love this, because up until WX dies, a WX player will assume that WX is a robot without question.

They accept the things he has to say about how he feels about living things and machines.

When we see the skeleton however, that throws into question everything else WX says.

If he has a skeleton when he is supposed to be a 100% robot, what else about him is not true?

WX's skeleton in short, leads me to believe that WX is not a robot, but a cyborg. A mix of machine and man.

WX still has the strengths and weaknesses of a robot, with his overcharge and short circuiting in rain, but he possesses a human skeleton (and perhaps a human body) underneath his chassis.

I'd also like to share a few theories about how WX was made.

One theory I have, is WX was made by some unknown scientist, using a machine similar to the science machine. I do not have much to support it, but that is my theory without incorporating any other characters into WX's background.

Another theory I have is more lengthy, and involves a couple of characters.

tumblr_n84lq4RgOz1tu916ko2_400.png

This line by Webber caught my attention the instant I saw it.

Why would Webber say this? In his origin, it is hinted that he was eaten by a spider, so how could he have been a robot?

My theory here is Webber was given a choice by Maxwell. Webber hints that he was tricked, so there is a chance that Maxwell talked with Webber first before he was fused with the spider.

I believe that Maxwell offered Webber a choice, to be a spider or a robot (or any other thing). I would think that Maxwell offered it almost like it would be a costume to Webber, but instead it was the real thing.

A theory of mine is that while Webber chose spider, someone else could have chosen robot.

It’s a bit of a stretch to say that WX could have made a deal with Maxwell that made him into a robot, but it would make some sense. It would explain why WX is part human. Webber is half human, because of Maxwell's spell. If he did that with a human and a robot, the results would be similar. Maxwell could have used a machine similar to the science machine to create WX, since the science machine is one of Maxwell's inventions.

It's not a perfect theory, but I believe Webber's line still has some significance. Even if not related to WX, the line itself is intriguing and I look forward to seeing if it is explained.

(I’m putting this in another post to separate subjects)

I’d like to also give some analysis to WX’s personality and physiology.

I’ll address his body first.

One detail I will mention right off the bat is:  WX is solar powered, at least partially so.

When he observes the rope to climb out he will say: "SOLAR ARRAY NEED REFUELING."

A solar array is a solar panel. That means he can get power from the sun. Why would a robot that uses food as fuel also have solar power?

My theory is that the food WX eats is not to explicitly power his body.

I believe that the food WX eats is to keep something inside him alive.

I believe that WX has a living human brain, and that the food he eats is to keep it functioning.

To me, that would explain why he needs food specifically and why he has sanity.

That would also explain why he does not act like a perfect robot. He might think he is a robot, but he still has that bit of humanity that makes him different.

On the rest of WX’s body, I believe that he does indeed have a chemical engine, since it can convert even spoiled nutrients into useful fuel.

On WX’s body as a whole,

I believe that either the people who created WX-78 basically bolted the plates into his body. The bolts that can be seen in WX’s head are directly screwed in. There’s a good chance that it was not a pleasant experience when WX became a cyborg/robot.

(an extra fact is that WX has said that he has a smelling module(when attached to by slurpers)  but has also said that he can’t smell when inspecting other things (such as the smelly durian) . My own theory on that is that WX can turn his sense of smell on and off when he pleases. )

Now, on WX’s personality.

While some might say he is an irredeemable evil character, I believe he is much more deeper than that.

WX for one, seems to hold a grudge against living things (specifically humans).

For instance, when inspecting a morsal, WX will say “ TASTES LIKE REVENGE”.  While a morsal is usually from a small animal, what animals share with humans is they are both made out of meat.

Whenever WX mentions meat, I think he is also thinking of humans when he commenting on them. (Unless WX simply has a grudge against rabbits and birds.) 

A clearer instance of WX expressing hatred of humans is when he says to evil flowers. “"HEY THERE, FLOWERS. WANNA... KILL ALL HUMANS?”

WX seems to believe that humans have enslaved machines and he holds a grudge against them because of it. He believes he should get revenge for it.  WX’s assumption that humans are slave drivers can be seen when he inspects the phonograph (a human made machine) and says, “"IT IS A MUSICAL SLAVE".

WX acts mostly like a stereotypical robot, but he has a slight bit of humanity that takes him slightly off the trope.

He still says things like “ DOES NOT COMPUTE”, but he is also very expressive and emotive.

A clear example of WX showing emotions is when he inspects guano and says: "MORE POOP. SIGH."

The sigh one would think is unneeded, since WX is not supposed to have lungs, but the sigh is not used to breathe. It is used to express frustration and a bit of sadness.

His emotions are one clear example that he is not as an unfeeling machine as he insists he is.

WX’s relationship with other machines is one of projection and denial.

WX sees all machines as his family. He gives every machine either a family role, or he calls them his friends.

• Science Machine- "MOTHER?"
  • Alchemy Engine- "HELLO, FRIEND"
  • Winterometer- "HELLO, FRIEND"
  • Rainometer- "WELCOME, BROTHER.
  • Ice Box- "CARRY ON, MY FRIGID BROTHER"
  • Electrical Doodad “ WELCOME, SISTER”

He feels very strongly for machines, saying when he inspects the gears of chess pieces (that are violent towards him): “OH NO, WHAT HAVE I DONE TO YOU?”

These are a few of the things he says to the various machines that can be built.

The reason I say WX is using projection and denial is,

WX projects intelligence on these machines. He believes that they can talk, and that the only reason they do not is because they don’t want to .

This can be seen when WX inspects Maxwell’s Door.

WX says: "HE IS NOT MUCH OF A CONVERSATIONALIST"

That says that WX has been talking to the machines, and that he is denying that they do not speak by rationalizing that they simply do not want to talk.

On the rest of WX’s personality…

WX likes to label and announce himself as evil, which can be seen when he inspects the lureplant: "AWW, IT'S JUST AS EVIL AS I AM."

Now, this is mostly my own opinion, but I believe that WX thinks he MUST be evil, because whenever robots go against humans they are deemed evil. I believe that he thinks he must have the evil label to go against humans.

An interesting thing to note about WX is, that the only trinket he gives any attention to is the Lying Robot, which WX comments: "HIS NAME IS HAL. HE IS MY FRIEND."

I find it interesting that WX is closely associated with an item called the lying robot when he also has several inconsistencies about him that he is not truthful about. (his skeleton and lying to himself about the other machines are two examples).

Another thing I would like to note is that it seems like WX has some memory problems.

When he inspects a medium fire, he says: "IT REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING"

How does a robot who is supposed to have an orderly mind, and be equipped with many precise sensors to view the world, ONLY be reminded of something when he sees a fire?

The way he says it sounds as if he is trying to recall something but cannot.

I believe that WX doesn’t remember his human life because of something traumatic. Perhaps even his transformation into WX-78 is why he can only be reminded of a memory, and why he flat out denies his skeleton when he is faced with it.

On a last note, I would like to address WX’s gender.

My headcanon is because WX has no qualms about giving labels and pronouns to other machines, he would have no qualms about assigning himself his own gender.

I believe WX is more masculine in his nature, so I believe he is a he. He is a brother to all machines.

It can be argued that WX could be a she as well, and that is an acceptable headcanon as well.

It can also be said that WX is simply an it, as the epilogue states.

I believe however, that WX is called an it in the epilogue so that the players can be spurred to look more closely at WX when his skeleton is revealed. The contradictions encourage analyzation of the character.

If you want to dispute any of the theories I have said, feel free. Please kindly provide textual  proof so I can understand where you are coming from.

And if you guys want me to elaborate more on my theories, feel free to ask me!

And if you want me to analyze other characters, you are more than welcome to ask me. C:

I hope to hear what you guys think and I hope you have some rad theories to share! :D

This is really interesting, you talked a bit about how WX seems to think that he must claim revenge on humans (or any organic matter really) for some reason. Maybe because he's not actually too happy about having turned into a robot/cyborg? Or that he was simply built for some slavery reasons, which is never fun.

The fire could have something to do with his origins, melting iron, casting his plates or something. Getting metals poured over his skeleton parts.

Mmm...

MMM...

Perhaps even his transformation into WX-78 is why he can only be reminded of a memory, and why he flat out denies his skeleton when he is faced with it.

This is just speculation, but what if Wx-78 was a human but his body got burned in accident?

What I'm saying is something similiar to what happened to Darth Vader in Star Wars: his body might have been burned causing irreparably damages. To save him, a scientist (or the medics) put the burned body inside a robot, making him Wx-78.

It's just an idea, but it's something.

Mmm...

MMM...

Perhaps even his transformation into WX-78 is why he can only be reminded of a memory, and why he flat out denies his skeleton when he is faced with it.

This is just speculation, but what if Wx-78 was a human but his body got burned in accident?

What I'm saying is something similiar to what happened to Darth Vader in Star Wars: his body might have been burned causing irreparably damages. To save him, a scientist (or the medics) put the burned body inside a robot, making him Wx-78.

It's just an idea, but it's something.

:o! You make a good point!

It could be he's vaguely remembering an accident instead of being reminded of something else.

Thank you for your addition! :D

I'm very happy to hear what others think about WX~

I prefer Dark Helmet. I did not see him playing with his dolls again, sir.

ANYways, this thread is so amazing. I can agree with every one of these points.

^U^ hehe! Thanks! I appreciate the compliment.

I've been playing as WX for a long time and these are some of the theories I've made playing as and writing for him.

I'm glad you like my theories :>.

I don't have any theories to contribute as I haven't played as WX-78 enough, but I am gonna say that your theories are entertaining! :grin:

Ahhh, thank you W! I'm glad you find my theories entertaining! ^U^

Maybe I'll make some other theories pertaining to other characters. :>c

I really enjoy analyzing characters and trying to figure out things about them through clues given.

This is really interesting, you talked a bit about how WX seems to think that he must claim revenge on humans (or any organic matter really) for some reason. Maybe because he's not actually too happy about having turned into a robot/cyborg? Or that he was simply built for some slavery reasons, which is never fun.

The fire could have something to do with his origins, melting iron, casting his plates or something. Getting metals poured over his skeleton parts.

Yes! :D

That was a point I never really addressed in my original post, so thanks a bunch for bringing that up!

My theories on why WX was built (without incorporating Maxwell or anyone else into his background)

Would be WX was either built to be some sort of slave like you said, and he built his opinions on humans from those experiences.

OR

WX was built to be perhaps like an augmented human. Having enhanced senses and being upgradable. He could have gotten his opinion on humans there from simply observing them using machines, and looking at his own body and identifying with the machines.

I will be honest and say that I would not be bothered by it if Maxwell ended up being directly responsible for why WX is the way he is, but I also like the idea that WX was a failed human experiment with a multitude of reasons for existing. Just the idea of a lab existing like that and making experiments is fun to think about.

and yes! The fire might be related to his being created.

I don't think WX was happy at all about becoming a cyborg. As you can see, the metal is grafted directly onto his body. It very well could have been a painful procedure.

I think WX tried to forget that he was ever human to forget about what happened to him.

So he could have an identity of some sort, since he wasn't completely human anymore, WX associates himself with machinery. He places himself as the enemy of humans to further distance himself.

There's no need to be troubled about yourself when you can blame all of your problems on a complete group.

Thank you very much for your contribution! I'm very happy to hear about what you have to say! :D

I believe that Maxwell offered Webber a choice, to be a spider or a robot (or any other thing). I would think that Maxwell offered it almost like it would be a costume to Webber, but instead it was the real thing.

A theory of mine is that while Webber chose spider, someone else could have chosen robot.

Great theory.

I love it. =D

To me, WX-78 seems like such a "haunting" character, it seems so strange when he makes that frightened expression in the dark.

THEORIES WX-78 WAS FORMERLY KNOWN AS VICTOR STONE ARE ILLOGICAL!

UNIT'S STOMACH IS CONFIRMED CHEMICAL ENGINE.

UNIT'S EYES ARE CONFIRMED OPTICAL SENSORS.

BRAIN CONFIRMED AS CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT. 

THEORIES THAT WILSON CREATED WX-78 ARE HIGHLY ILLOGICAL! EMPATHY CHIP...RE-DISABLED!

SKELETAL STRUCTURE IS MADE OF THULECITE-ADAMANTIUM COMPOSITE. 

SUPPOSITION CONCUSSIVE FORCE FROM MEDIUM HAMMER CREATES BONE SHARDS...DOES NOT COMPUTE..ERROR...ENTITIES INTRODUCING CORRUPT PROCEDURES ARE FLAWED. THEY WILL BE UPGRADED....

REMOVAL OF EXCESS FOLLICLES NECESSARY BEFORE UPGRADES....EXFOLLIATE...EXFOLLIATE!

ERROR...SECONDARY ERROR...SUBROUTINE HACKING ATTEMPT DETECTED FROM DA'LEK "HUMOR" REFERENCES, THE HUMANS ARE NOT PRIME UPGRADE STOCK...

DELETE...DELETE DELETE!  

(Couldn't resist one of my favorite DS characters in a little role-playing cross-genre bit

Wx-78 is attributed to being built by Wilson, but there is no proof how/if he actually  was. Maxell of course due to the clockworks he "upgraded" from the Ruin's designs, is still in the running for Wx's creator. 

For a "Soulless automaton," with a "malfunctioning empathy chip" he certainly has a lot of anger/humor,

He has inconsistancies with punctuations, and animals able to "feed' from him and his blood.

the wiki entry is here)  

Wx-78 is attributed to being built by Wilson, but there is no proof how/if he actually  was. Maxell of course due to the clockworks he "upgraded" from the Ruin's designs, is still in the running for Wx's creator. 

The theory that Wx-78 was created by Wilson is total bonkers. Let me remind everyone that Wilson was a great-scientist-wannabe. He failed to create anything of scientific value, he had nothing but doomed aspiration. So a wannabe-scientist (who's not a mechanist) is responsible for the creation of an automation with consciousness and a sense of survival?? I don't think so.

Maxwell on the other hand, seems far more likely. He was the one who granted Wilson's wish, and he's also the one responsible for trapping the players inside the world. Maxwell probably found another vulnerable victim, and granted his/her wish by upgrading his/her body through mechanical functions.

The theory that Wx-78 was created by Wilson is total bonkers. Let me remind everyone that Wilson was a great-scientist-wannabe. He failed to create anything of scientific value, he had nothing but doomed aspiration. So a wannabe-scientist (who's not a mechanist) is responsible for the creation of an automation with consciousness and a sense of survival?? I don't think so.

I would say Wickerbottom. When I think of her I just think of her like a mechanist. When we get the quotes by examining different players, In Dst, We will definitely see more backstory to see If characters are connected/related somehow.

By the way, Great Theory. I agree completely. Also the fact that when Wx examines graves he doesn't talk in full capitals like he usually does. It could be him streaming the dead survivors voice from the grave. (Thank Maximum for that idea. He made a thread about it quite some time ago.)

Maxwell on the other hand, seems far more likely. He was the one who granted Wilson's wish, and he's also the one responsible for trapping the players inside the world. Maxwell probably found another vulnerable victim, and granted his/her wish by upgrading his/her body through mechanical functions.

I would say Wickerbottom. When I think of her I just think of her like a mechanist. When we get the quotes by examining different players, In Dst, We will definitely see more backstory to see If characters are connected/related somehow.

By the way, Great Theory. I agree completely. Also the fact that when Wx examines graves he doesn't talk in full capitals like he usually does. It could be him streaming the dead survivors voice from the grave. (Thank Maximum for that idea. He made a thread about it quite some time ago.)

Absolutely, wilson was a lousy scientist...then Maxwell gave him...that Forbidden Knowledge. Wilson has been....much much more capable since...allegedly (and I did state it was unconfirmed before) afterwards when he made WX-78. 

The theory that webber could had been a WX-76 is sorta wrong to me because on the DS wiki it says that he is boy inside a spider that ate him long ago. And the fact that when examining gears he says that he could have been a robot makes me thing sorta like the reader reading this could have been a fish or a bird or anything really. Anyone esle?

The theory that webber could had been a WX-76 is sorta wrong to me because on the DS wiki it says that he is boy inside a spider that ate him long ago. And the fact that when examining gears he says that he could have been a robot makes me thing sorta like the reader reading this could have been a fish or a bird or anything really. Anyone esle?

Webber bugs me. A spider ate him, he died and you have his HUMAN skull, so you bury it and he comes back as the spider borg fusion. 

Mind you, love the character's abilities and personality, but not buying the "backstory." 

Maxwell gave his options. I guess Webber chose the spider. Wx-78 chose to be a robot.

That theory gives me mixed feelings. Wx-78 has his own hidden backstory that led him into being a "soulless automation". We don't know much about either of those characters, so it's difficult to tell.

These theories are really interesting! The only problem i have is that I have my doubts  how seriously the skeleton is meant to be taken. I say this because the other characters bones are apparently present in their hair and skirts and what not. I see the skeleton during a lightning strike and the one you can find at the place of your earlier demise more as an… limitation so to speak. As in Klei not willing to make a different model for Wx-78 made out of metal and gears and stuff.  

I'd like to think Wx-78 was made by Maxwell as one of his earliest automatons , but due to an unforeseen high self awareness and  hatred against organics ( including Maxwell, ) Wx-78 quickly went rogue. For his trouble he was punished by being sent into the unforgiving wilderness of Maxwell's world.  The automatons you fight in the game are obviously very simplistic compared to what Wx-78 is capable of, but this also makes them easier to control for Maxwell. 

It's probably one of the more weak theories in this thread, but hey.

I believe WX-78 was created to be a companion of sorts inside a scientists lab. Think Pinocchio and Gepetto. I am not saying Wilson created him, far from it - however perhaps once WX-78 became sapient inside the laboratory with a consciousness; all he had surrounding him were machines. 

Machines that kept him alive. Machines the doctor made alongside him. For all intents and purposes - they would be his family. This helps allude to why he considers the machines family. Curious to his creators origin, perhaps he found a portal similar to the one Wilson built somewhere in the lab; and decided to go through. All of this remains hypothetical - but what would you do if you had a parent in another world? WX-78 could've followed by example once he became hungry to enter the portal much like his creator did.

Perhaps Webber was a young boy dying of a terminal illness, and controversially could've been turned into a robot however instead was spliced with spider genetics to keep him alive. Maybe they came from the same Laboratory only Webber was inside of a different branch - and chose to be a spider willingly if it would save his life. Perhaps his parents did it for him, who knows. I bet they do have a related origin in some way considering what Webber has said.

This chills me partially. Perhaps WX-78 and Webber are related by blood, possibly even being brothers. Both were experimented on, and once discovered by society their father/mother were forced to protect them somehow - possibly by sending them through the portal to the shadow realm.

I would find it very interesting if Maxwell offered their father a way to protect his two boys by putting them through the portal as a last ditch effort to save their lives from a lynch mob of villagers or something like that. Regardless. I want both of them to escape, or maybe even reconnect in the future.

It would be so sad to have Webber recognize WX-78 and call him brother, only to have WX-78 try to chop his face off because he is a Spider.  :wilson_resigned:  My tears are real.

Wickerbottom being the one who made WX78?

Interesting theory. If Klei adds info to support that, I think it'd be pretty rad to see that. :D

Ah, I saw that theory by Maximum! I thought the topic was too old to answer though, so I did not reply to it.

Since you've mentioned it though, I will give my two cents and say I do not think that theory makes sense. 

All of the characters say the same 4 generic lines, regardless of typing quirk in their speech:

• Headstone (1)- "It says milk. Eggs. Bacon."
  • Headstone (2)- "Here lies some guy. Blah blah blah."
  • Headstone (3)- "Hey, that's my name!"
  • Headstone (4)- "This headstone is blank."

These lines are all Wilson's and every other character says them. I believe they are used for all the characters because Klei simply thought the generic lines were good enough for everyone. 

Giving WX78 a special explanation for his lines won't work because then that means all the other characters would need to be given an explanation for using the same lines too.

It'd be silly to say all of the other survivors heard Wilson and decided to copy what he said word for word, so the theory that WX78 could have recorded the survivors voice holds little merit.

The simplest explanation for that is they are generic lines and Klei thought that they were good enough to be the same for everyone. There's no need to give a deeper explanation than that imo. Trying to say that they're a recording without considering the other characters as well makes that theory not very strong.

Thank you for mentioning that theory though!

I'm happy to hear your theories, thank you! I appreciate that you took the time to give input. ^u^

(Couldn't resist one of my favorite DS characters in a little role-playing cross-genre bit

For a "Soulless automaton," with a "malfunctioning empathy chip" he certainly has a lot of anger/humor,

He has inconsistancies with punctuations, and animals able to "feed' from him and his blood.

the wiki entry is here)  

I will go ahead and say I think that Wilson creating WX78 is unlikely. For one main reason:

tumblr_n8mn5hUQnI1tu916ko1_400.png

When examining the meat effigy, WX78 doesn't recognize the obvious visage of Wilson.

I think that Klei put that line in there because they did not want us to think that WX78 was made by Wilson.

and yes, I love WX78's inconsistencies UVU.

He is too lively to be strictly a robot and the fact that mosquitoes can still get something from WX is interesting.

I seriously think there is a good chance of him being a cyborg in actuality.

Thank you for your addition! ^v^

(p.s.: I think it's awesome that you rp as WX. The little passage that you wrote made me smile, so thank you for that! :> )

Archived