Cannibalism (not a joke this time)

Cannibalism (not a joke this time)   

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannibalism be a thing in the game?

• Yes. Embrace the dark side!
    • No. You psycho...

Please read before voting: 

The reason I want this is because I don´t want players to just die, like for example:

- Fall down and despawn in front of you like if it was nothing and their death was completely meaningless. 

- Dying and having their inventory explode on to the ground. Too much like Minecraft.

- Turning into skeleton right after death. Stupid. Unless they are resurrected, which is fine, because that involves magic.

My idea would be that once someone dies, their corpse falls on the ground and then after a couple of days, it would turn into a skeleton. During that time you can either:

- Harvest the meat with an axe. Eating human meat would hurt player´s sanity.

- When a player dies, instead of eating them, you can actually do the decent human thing and bury them. This will add sanity to the player. Maybe a craft-able grave can be implemented (2x cut stone/showel) which has a tomb stone where you can write the player´s name on. This adds a moral choice to the game, as player´s will have to decide to either keep whatever is left of their humanity intact or do the unthinkable and descend into savagery to survive. 

- You can steal their inventory.

Other details:

- When a player reaches a certain level of hunger, all other players will look like Gobblers. 

- Wendy and Maxwell, because of their personalities, have a much bigger negative impact on their sanity if they eat human meat.

- A dead corpse acts similar to an Evil Flower, sanity decreases when close.

- Human meat also ads Krampus points. 

Also, with this, the game would be perma-death. So killing a person would be a big deal.

So apparently people like the idea of eating other people...Me too.

To be honest, this started off as a joke, but the more I was thinking about it, the more it makes sense.

With this type of genre, cannibalism is a common theme (e.g Alive, The Road) and I think Don´t Starve is dark enough to handle it. So I made a poll, to see if people think this should be part of the game or not.

On the other hand, maybe it is a bit too disturbing. Everything I´ve been watching recently, has had pretty much cannibalism in one way or another: Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Hannibal. So maybe I´m a bit jaded by it now. Also, the game´s ratings would be problematic. 

The ratings wouldn't be affected. It's not much different than murdering pig people and eating them.

I think this would be along the lines of, kill another player, that player drops meat.

The ratings wouldn't be affected. It's not much different than murdering pig people and eating them.

I think this would be along the lines of, kill another player, that player drops meat.

I would be happy if the player dropped meat.

Otherwise, i still don't want this.

4 against 4... That's disturbing. Really disturbing... But probably it make sense.After all game's name is don't starve. What are you ready to do for your own life?

Exactly. More realistic. Do you survive by doing the unthinkable or do you preserve what´s left of your humanity? 

Don´t worry though, I´m not expecting the devs to take any notice of any of this. It´s more of an experiment than anything else, I´m interested to see the results...

One, to avoid a Rust situation where players try to starve out other players so they can get more meat from the player's corpse.

Two, Because human flesh is something you eat in a worst case scenario. Monster Meat is also something you'd eat if there was no other option. They fit together with the madness involved in cannibalism.

One, to avoid a Rust situation where players try to starve out other players so they can get more meat from the player's corpse.

Two, Because human flesh is something you eat in a worst case scenario. Monster Meat is also something you'd eat if there was no other option. They fit together with the madness involved in cannibalism.

1. I´ve never played Rust, but that sounds interesting.  

2. Well, I thought eating it would really drain down your sanity instead. 

That'd require a special meat prefab. Monster meat would fulfill that purpose just as easily.

But it won´t make sense:

- Players aren´t monsters.

- Human meat wouldn´t hurt your health.

Anyway, none of this matter, there is no way this is being implemented in the game, so you can stay calm.

Archived