Cannibalism (not a joke this time)

Cannibalism (not a joke this time)   

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannibalism be a thing in the game?

• Yes. Embrace the dark side!
    • No. You psycho...

My reason behind it is sort of ethical. It's morally wrong to do something you know isn't right. Eating the flesh of a dead person to make their death worth something is morally wrong and thinking about it is disturbing. Bringing up morals and ethical issues in a comical game is not the best argument I agree, and I know there are 100s of counter arguments against that, but that's how I feel about it, especially in this game.

Ok so we have an option not to eat someone, but watching others do it, feels just as bad as doing it yourself. Yes it's all for fun and not meant to be taken serious, but seriously Don't Starve isn't some sick, dark, demented 18+ game where things as disturbing as this should happen. I guarantee acts of cannibalism in a game rated for everyone wouldn't go down well with critics.

I would assume that if such an act decreases your sanity by a considerable amount, the hunger boosting effect would have to be relatively high. Does that not seem very broken to you. I'll kill myself, you have a tent ready, eat me, restore a bunch of health, sleep in tent, profit.

I personally can't take this seriously enough to consider it. Maybe the developers have a different opinion, I don't know. I suppose like in Skyrim you can turn into a werehound or something and have the ability to eat human flesh, could maybe justify this in Don't Starve. I'm not sure.

4 against 4... That's disturbing. Really disturbing... But probably it make sense.After all game's name is don't starve. What are you ready to do for your own life?

Wigfrid is not even able to eat vegetables in order not to starve, so I would think that it would not be unrealistic if cannibalism was impossible in the game. By the way, if it was ever implemented (I hope it would not be - for ethical reasons and also without cannibalism the game will be harder and more Don't Starve-ish) there should be a significant health drop when eating player meat, as cannibalism is well known to promote spread of diseases like kuru and similar.

Ok I'm not hating on your idea, so please don't feel as if I am, just because I find this whole concept disturbing in Don't Starve.

The only real benefit I can see from this suggestion is eating someone to regain hunger. Am I right?

No, you do it for fun...Yes, obviously it´s so you can regain hunger!

My reason behind it is sort of ethical. It's morally wrong to do something you know isn't right. Eating the flesh of a dead person to make their death worth something is morally wrong and thinking about it is disturbing. Bringing up morals and ethical issues in a comical game is not the best argument I agree, and I know there are 100s of counter arguments against that, but that's how I feel about it, especially in this game.

Ok so we have an option not to eat someone, but watching others do it, feels just as bad as doing it yourself. Yes it's all for fun and not meant to be taken serious, but seriously Don't Starve isn't some sick, dark, demented 18+ game where things as disturbing as this should happen. I guarantee acts of cannibalism in a game rated for everyone wouldn't go down well with critics.

I would assume that if such an act decreases your sanity by a considerable amount, the hunger boosting effect would have to be relatively high. Does that not seem very broken to you. I'll kill myself, you have a tent ready, eat me, restore a bunch of health, sleep in tent, profit.

I personally can't take this seriously enough to consider it. Maybe the developers have a different opinion, I don't know. I suppose like in Skyrim you can turn into a werehound or something and have the ability to eat human flesh, could maybe justify this in Don't Starve. I'm not sure.

Personally, I like those moral decisions, and if you see people doing it, it´s kind of a hint that you should stay away from them. Just imagine finding an awesome camp and going "Oh wow, people! I can have friends now and we can live together!", but then you find that they have a severed leg hanging from a drying rack and then you go "Oh boy...this is bad...this is very very bad...". The thing is, I don´t think Don´t Starve is a comical game. It´s a game where you are inevitably going to die horribly. I see it as quite dark and depressing, but maybe that´s just me.

I don´t understand why it´s broken? You would have to kill someone and considering that the game is perma-death, that´s a big deal...

it's not supposed to restore a lot of health or hunger, it should be a small amount(and -100sanity in my opnion) so that you would only want to do that when really desperate. It's not supposed to be some life saving or satisfying meat, just something to buy you time until the crops grow or you find a rabbit. Also, you kill antropomorphic pigs and bunnies that seem to be of near human inteligence(and eat them), so killing people for a less satisfying(they're less beefy, not enough meat :( ) and sanity damaging meat doesn't seem to be that much of a jump(maybe you could even eat your own meat)

Yup, I can't take it seriously too. Because if I take it seriously it becomes seriously disturbing. I mean its not Walking Dead game or something. And if it drains nearly all sanity - why need it at all? For that we have easily obtained and wonderfully gross and violet Monster Meat, which drains less and fills enough. So, sorry my vote is a "no", too. Its one thing to eat spiders (yuck) and Pigs (yum, bacon), but this is too much.

Yup, I can't take it seriously too. Because if I take it seriously it becomes seriously disturbing. I mean its not Walking Dead game or something. And if it drains nearly all sanity - why need it at all? For that we have easily obtained and wonderfully gross and violet Monster Meat, which drains less and fills enough. So, sorry my vote is a "no", too. Its one thing to eat spiders (yuck) and Pigs (yum, bacon), but this is too much.

I really don´t understand you guys, how could you think this game is comical? Sure, the art style is charming, but the themes and concepts are so dark and depressing.

I really don´t understand you guys, how could you think this game is comical? Sure, the art style is charming, but the themes and concepts are so dark and depressing.

I never said I thought of DS as comical game. Yeah, sure, its dark and sometimes even crazy. But not twisted. Its one thing to fight insanity demons and another - to eat human flesh. If I think about that seriously - thats just seriously disgusting. So I think about it as a joke. Its just as simple as that - it is a matter of taste. And it seems we are in the minority anyway.

If cannibalism is included, DS will be very similar to gory zombie games. I do not think people want DS to be another zombie game. Can you also imagine how many new players who will want to buy DS will not buy it when they find out about the cannibalism mechanic?

Comical was the wrong choice of word sorry. I wouldn't say Don't Starve is dark and depressing, it's actually far from that. Don't Starve combines both art and sound to create an atmosphere which can be either tense/frantic or energetic/playful. I've never once felt depressed playing Don't Starve. Here, does this sound like a game which is dark, eerie, depressing?

If cannibalism is included, DS will be very similar to gory zombie games. I do not think people want DS to be another zombie game. Can you also imagine how many new players who will want to buy DS will not buy it when they find out about the cannibalism mechanic?

Zombie game? I think that´s the last thing anyone wants. I´m not saying we want this to be Day z or Rust. Also, none of those games have cannibalism. 

Zombie game? I think that´s the last thing anyone wants. I´m not saying we want this to be Day z or Rust. Also, none of those games have cannibalism. 

As far as I know, Rust is no longer a zombie game (but I have never played Rust). But I once heard one reviewer to say that DS is essentially a storytelling game, as you can imagine everything you do as a story of your character. Although this may be controversial, I think that imagining a real act of cannibalism is not something that many physiological people would want to do during playing games.

Moreover, do you really think that the characters in DS would commit an act of cannibalism? They seem to have very strong morals, even though these morals are very different from the morals of current society. Wigfrid for example would never eat vegetables, not even when starving. Therefore I think nobody (maybe except WX-78 and potentially Willow) would really become a cannibal. I cannot for example imagine Woodie, Wickerbottom or Wendy as cannibals.

Furthermore, you do not drop meat when you die in singleplayer. If you also drop some meat when you die in singleplayer and you regenerate, you could become an autocannibal. I do not think many people would like to be autocannibals.

As far as I know, Rust is no longer a zombie game (but I have never played Rust). But I once heard one reviewer to say that DS is essentially a storytelling game, as you can imagine everything you do as a story of your character. Although this may be controversial, I think that imagining a real act of cannibalism is not something that many physiological people would want to do during playing games.

Moreover, do you really think that the characters in DS would commit an act of cannibalism? They seem to have very strong morals, even though these morals are very different from the morals of current society. Wigfrid for example would never eat vegetables, not even when starving. Therefore I think nobody (maybe except WX-78 and potentially Willow) would really become a cannibal. I cannot for example imagine Woodie, Wickerbottom or Wendy as cannibals.

Furthermore, you do not drop meat when you die in singleplayer. If you also drop some meat when you die in singleplayer and you regenerate, you could become an autocannibal. I do not think many people would like to be autocannibals.

I understand your points. Personally, I would never eat a player and I doubt that many people would. Both because of the morals of it and because of the damage it causes to sanity. I just thought that it would add an interesting sense of tension when you encountered a complete psycho or group who have fallen to this level of savagery. I also get your whole point about characters. I think that even characters who are refined and stick true to their principles, still have the potential to descend into the insanity of committing this act.

If you had read the poll, I stated that when you are resurrected, all you leave is a skeleton. This makes sense because it involves magic.  

I voted before I read. Whoops.

You can always delete and vote again if you change your mind.

Comical was the wrong choice of word sorry. I wouldn't say Don't Starve is dark and depressing, it's actually far from that. Don't Starve combines both art and sound to create an atmosphere which can be either tense/frantic or energetic/playful. I've never once felt depressed playing Don't Starve. Here, does this sound like a game which is dark, eerie, depressing?

But you have to agree that themes of death and suicide are a constant in the game. I think there is plenty of dark stuff, like mutilated heads on sticks for example...

I just thought that it would add an interesting sense of tension when you encountered a complete psycho or group who have fallen to this level of savagery.

From my understanding, DST is not going to be a MMORG. Therefore I think the majority of players will play with they friends in order to avoid having complete trolls in their group. So I think there will not be much tension in this respect.

But you have to agree that themes of death and suicide are a constant in the game. I think there is plenty of dark stuff, like mutilated heads on sticks for example...

Well,  suicide is not a part of the game. It is only an exploitation of the game mechanics that some players use to get xp or nightmare fuel.

What @rsrs said. If you're calling suicide whenever you deliberately kill yourself for whatever reason, then every game ever created where you kill your character deliberately is an act of suicide. So I've caused Mario to suicide millions of times in Super Mario Bros. I feel ashamed of myself right now.

So on a serious note, you can't call Don't Starve dark and depressing for those reasons.

From my understanding, DST is not going to be a MMORG. Therefore I think the majority of players will play with they friends in order to avoid having complete trolls in their group. So I think there will not be much tension in this respect.

Well,  suicide is not a part of the game. It is only an exploitation of the game mechanics that some players use to get xp or nightmare fuel.

Suicide in respect of some of the quotes that the characters say. Like "I'm just putting off the inevitable."

I think there is going to be a fare amount of people who play with strangers. Especially me. I don´t know anyone who plays Don´t Starve.

What in the world is MMORG?

What @rsrs said. If you're calling suicide whenever you deliberately kill yourself for whatever reason, then every game ever created where you kill your character deliberately is an act of suicide. So I've caused Mario to suicide millions of times in Super Mario Bros. I feel ashamed of myself right now.

So on a serious note, you can't call Don't Starve dark and depressing for those reasons.

That´s not what I meant.

Suicide in respect of some of the quotes that the characters say. Like "I'm just putting off the inevitable."

I think there is going to be a fare amount of people who play with strangers. Especially me. I don´t know anyone who plays Don´t Starve.

What in the world is MMORG?

That´s not what I meant.

I'm just putting off the inevitable - In my opinion means natural death, not suicide.

MMORG - sorry, my typo - I meant MMORPG/MMOG.

It means that the character understands that death is inevitable, so what´s the point?

Still have no idea what that means.

Everybody should understand that biological death is inevitable. Even in real life, not only in DS. Therefore your question sounds like: What is the point in living when death is inevitable.

MMOG = Massively multiplayer online game

MMORPG = Massively multiplayer online RPG

Everybody should understand that death is inevitable. Even in real life, not only in DS. Therefore your questions sounds like: What is the point in living when death is inevitable.

MMOG = Massively multiplayer online game

MMORPG = Massively multiplayer online RPG

Yeah, that´s exactly what she is saying. Her depressed and pessimistic view of life is allowing her to consider suicide as a more a reasonable option. There´s more that I´ve noticed like that, can´t remember them, you can look them. I think Wendy in particular talks a lot about it. 

Yeah, that´s exactly what she is saying. Her depressed and pessimistic view of life is allowing her to consider suicide as a more a reasonable option. There´s more that I´ve noticed like that, can´t remember them, you can look them. I think Wendy in particular talks a lot about it. 

I don't think that she is really considering suicide as a more reasonable option. When she examines the rope, she says: "That would be the easy way out of this place", so you see that she did not choose the "easy way out of that place" and still has a will to live. I actually think that Wendy is not that depressed given her circumstances. Bereaved people are usually more depressed, but they usually do not commit suicide.

This thread is getting way off hand.

There is a big difference to what you are saying @TheKingofSquirrels.

You're misinterpreting what this means; "I'm just putting off the inevitable."

Death will come eventually, is what that means. My gran says this all the time when she keeps herself active and happy. If I took the meaning you are taking I'll probably have my gran sent to a mental hospital by the amount of times she says that.

Archived