The Termitian, Terror from below.

A while ago around when I first became active on the forums I had an idea for a cave giant that could come to the surface. This idea quickly died, however with the new RoG I've decided to bring the idea back to life. here's a very old picture I drew of it for visual purposes:

post-17183-13764597134931_thumb.png

The Termitian (a tongue in cheek portmanteau of termite and titan) would be a giant titan like termite monster that can attack you both in the caves and the surface. Like the other giants the Termitian would come out and try to destroy everything you love and hold dear. Now the Termitian will spawn have a low chance of spawning after day 10, the more the player stays in the caves, the more likely it will spawn, like the hounds it will growl when it's about to spawn, also like the hounds the player will make a remark about this:

Wilson: That doesn't sound friendly.

Willow: Uh oh.

Wolfgang: Earthquake maybe?

Wigfrid: Is that Hel?

Wendy: the sound of snapping mandibles is coming..

Webber: Sounds like a really big friend.

Maxwell: The sent of wood is waking it up..

Wes: (just mimes)

Wickerbottom: It doesn't take a librarian to know that's not good sounding.

Woodie: That's definitely not a subterranean Goose.

WX-78: LARGE WOOD EATING ARTHROPOD DETECTED.

Here are it's stats:

- 2000 health.

- Normal giant monster speed.

-Like most of the giants it starts out neutral, however being part termite makes it have a ravenous craving for wood, anything made of of wood it will attack (This includes the player wearing a log suit)

-Like the ancient guardian it would have two attacks, one for farther range and another for up close. Ir's primary attack is to smash it's claws on the ground like the deerclops, this attack only does 50 damage (termites aren't renowned for there arm strength). However the real danger is it's close up attack, which the termitian very quickly snaps it's jaws, dealing 150 damage to the player and 350 in a small area to any monster, to add insult to injury this attack is so quick, make kiting pretty much ineffective and tanking hard to do unless you have a good amount of armor.

When the player encounters it:

Wilson: That's one big bug thing.

Willow: I'm going to need a lot of fire for this..

Wolfgang: Scary bug beast!

Wendy: It's gluttony for wood can not be satisfied.

Wigfrid: You're definitely not Hel.

Maxwell: That long nap hasn't helped his mood.

Webber: That's the biggest bug I've ever seen!

WX-78: THIS MIGHT BE HARD TO SQUASH UNDER MY FOOT.

Woodie: You love chopping trees down too hu?

Wickerbttom: I have no idea what class that thing is in.

Wes: (Just mimes)

However unlike those other sissy giants, the Termitian is a boss that you truly punishes you, and here's why:

-The Termitian can attack in any season.

- It drops 8 monster meat..and that's it. even when the player kills the Termitian there's no reward for killing it, making the player felt like they've accomplished nothing in an unforgiving environment (Just like DS is suppose to be)

-if you think it's safe to go back to the surface you were wrong. The Termitian (if nothing agro's it in the caves) will immediately go to the surface to eat all the wood it can. If you go on the surface before it can, it will merely make a huge hole and pop out of the ground. IThe Termitian will only appear however if you opena  sinkhole.

And..that's about it for this boring wall of text. Constructive feedback is appreciated.

Ahh, awesome! I kind of would want it to be a semi-boss like the horned guardian. It seems having it be bipedial would make the caves seem more free-ish? IDK, it seems that giants are don't with but making it a creature like the Warg could make things more plausible?

- It drops 8 monster meat..and that's it. even when the player kills the Termitian there's no reward for killing it, making the player felt like they've accomplished nothing in an unforgiving environment (Just like DS is suppose to be)

I was literally just arguing about this a few days ago somewhere in the RoG subforum, this is exactly what I was saying. Fully behind this. +1

I really just love it's design to death.

My opinion, the boss seems a bit too unforgiving, and it would seem like a real bother. Perhaps nerf that pincher attack a bit. (100 or 75 damage?)

Archived