Let's talk about "Idlers"

P O S E I D O N

36 minutes ago, P O S E I D O N said:

It feels a little "cheaty" that players can idle and get high levels just from doing nothing.

Am i the only one who's bothered about this? It's not fair for people who actually grind everyday.

1 minute ago, CrazyMoeMew said:

Because the exp from time bonus is so great that the exp from 20min run is far more less than from 40min run. 

it's 30 mins btw, and yes it's considered kinda cheaty 
when i tried 
one of them and finished the game i was surprised i just got 8K from that only
normal games are like 10-12 K depending on who u play and how much u contribute
but in those " wilson farms " case it's really not bad you get good amount of XP 

KLEI should either:
1- have a bot that notices the actions and kick the players instantly
2- give us more XP for actually playing forge, not to the fact that it's becoming harder over time only, but the fact that it's becoming really boring.
thanks both for addressing the problem. :) 

5 hours ago, CrimXane said:

1- have a bot that notices the actions and kick the players instantly
2- give us more XP for actually playing forge, not to the fact that it's becoming harder over time only, but the fact that it's becoming really boring.
thanks both for addressing the problem. :) 

Bots suck.

You get 400+ mor exp for winning than for dying to rhinos

There is really no reason to play normal forge instead of idling because you spend 50% of a time on a searching for a lobby with no braindeads. On Idle server, well you really often meet someone afk in the lobby but still it takes waaaay less time. You just go on that server, start game, do anything you need for that 30 minutes and you keep doing it until you go sleep. I think a lot of people do that because drop rate of a good stuff in chests is literally 0 so people wants to get these spools to wave what they want.

Disregarding the possible reasons you want to idle or not. There isn't a way to fix this other than potentially remove the ability to use mods in the forge, even then, that won't stop it because macros exist. Unlike anim-cancelling which was an exploit, theres no exploit here other than people using scripts for running around in a circle (or 6 player willows just holding space to revive each other with one pig alive, which players can do with no scripts at all). They could rebalance EXP gains to be more in favor of winning the game, but then that causes any players who have difficulty finding a good team or any team at all to not get EXP. The current EXP system is good because it just rewards you for trying and giving a little bonus if you win, it can be abused sure. But I'm not sure if Klei can do anything without potentially making it worse for other users who don't idle.

i personally don't think it really hurts anyone, same for afk skin farming.

they bought the game, it's their choice what to do with it. the only thing they really gain is skins that aren't even marketable, so it's kinda pointless to be upset about it.

Klei made three terrible decisions for the Forge this year: time locking quests, experience gain being increased by time spent in game and not increasing the amount of exp for victory with the release of the new bosses.

At present there is almost zero incentive to play Forge normally. You spend a significant amount of time looking for a decent server, sorting out what role you'll all have and coordinating between each other. For what?

Victory bonus is what, 200 exp? That's provided your team is competent enough to navigate through Rhinocebros and the Swineclops. Lots more effort than it was in the beginning of the Forge, even if it's combated by new items. Let's say your team is pretty good and you take around 20 mins, so that's 4.8k exp for time. If you're playing a character that's out of line of fire or you're particularly coordinated or lucky, you get another 750 exp bonus for not dying. Add that on top of the no doubles bonus which I can't recall exactly but I think is 500 exp. And let's assume that you've also got the friend bonus, which would be 960 in this case.

So for that one run of 20 minutes, you've made 7210 exp. 

Whereas if you AFKed, you'd have instead made 8640 exp with significantly less effort for only 33% more time spent in game. Unless you deeply enjoy the Forge (which, at this late stage is probably not many people, new items and boss or not) or consider that extra 33% time saved worth the effort, why on earth would you bother to actually play?

It's just not efficient to not idle any more. Klei made many interesting and good gameplay choices, but wholly screwed up beyond that with the re-implementation. Before a player could actively focus on playing the Forge and try to get all achievements because they were worthwhile, but now they're not equal. They can rely heavily on other players for a laughably measly reward. Often they're either a side benefit people won't really go out of their way for, or just outright ignored and irrelevant.

Idling is not cheating, it's just logical. Bad implementation makes it almost a necessity. You can spend a few hours trying to claim victory with mixed results and eventually burn out or you can just sit in a server with a few other people for hours on end and rake in the chests. That to me smacks of design flaw.

3 hours ago, Lium said:

Victory bonus is what, 200 exp?

The victory bonus did increase with the new monsters. It is now 1000 xp, and we get the same amount for defeating a given round as back then as they were the last ones. For example: defeating the boarrior is now 400 (correct me if I'm mistaken), while victory was also 400 as the boarrior was the last boss. But still, victory isn't a much reward for all the effort. I believe the reason for that is to reduce toxicity in the community. Imagine that a player screws up a match: if that would mean the team loses a significant amount of xp, others would be more likely to flame that player. 

Maybe they could award chests for the late game rounds i.e Boarrior and Rhinoes and like exclusive unravel-able but unweavable Distinguished items for beating the Swineclops*?

The lack of incentive is what messes a lot of Forge up rn i.e playing other characters or the achievement system. This implementation would make farming pale in comparison for those who play for chests and reward those who take time to play and have gotten good enough to win consistently than just 1 chest or none for all that effort.

With the Reforged skins, very large array of Elegants to try get (I don't even try getting item skins at this point..) additional non-Elegant items and absence of the old bulk of achievements for xp, there really should be nothing against awarding a few chests and spools anyways - it's nigh impossible to get all the skins you want unless you have that much time and energy or bought them from the shop.... That's why farming is so popular now.

Well, maybe Klei wanted to try to squeeze in a bit more profit from the shop, which is understandable but still equally frustrating.

(*For the Swineclops thing, it could just be like 1 from an exclusive set of armor skins to look like the Swineclops... Or just 1 from an exclusive pool of 3 vignettes or something like that. The variance is to make players feel like they're getting something new and special each time, and the Distinguished part makes it a guaranteed 150(?) spools obtained for winning the fight each time)

Even if you pipe in the argument that those who bought everything from the shop already could then farm more spools - it's not like they can't do that now with the farming thing, except they'd at least need to actually play the Forge to get more. The Swineclops' exclusive skin pool could give them something to work towards even after buying everything else, too.

Archived