Not Enough Food

So in most of the Don't Starve DLCs, "Don't Starve" is trivial advice. But in Hamlet, you can very easily die from starving. There is next to nothing in terms of SAFE renewable food that doesn't require spending Oincs. The only source of food in the early game is the Asparagus, Aloe and Radishes on the ground. Once they run out, they don't come back. And if you are completely BROKE in terms of Oincs, you are pretty much screwed. Yeah, there are Flytraps for Leafy Meat, but I don't want to risk losing HP just for some food. What Hamlet needs is maybe a Jungle variety of the Berry Bush, or something that can at least sustain you if you have no Oincs. Because as it currently stands, Hamlet is SEVERELY lacking in food.

13 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

There is next to nothing in terms of SAFE renewable food that doesn't require spending Oincs.
[...]
Hamlet is SEVERELY lacking in food.

I never managed to die by starvation in any "Don't Starve" version. If you're lacking food:

• Get some butterfly wings, they restore +8 Health & +9.375 Hunger and are a pretty nice early game food source
  • Eat the seeds dropped by birds, even if they restore only +4.6875 Hunger, they need 40 days to turn into rot and are completly free
  • Get or steal a berry bush farm, place traps near the tea trees and make meatballs
  • Steal the food in the farms around the city, the pig guards attack can be dodged without any problems
  • Play as WX-78 and eat the tuber in the Iron-biome, cooked tuber restores +18.5 Hunger and reduces your hunger drain by 20%, if you're low on health, just walk towards a thunderbird
  • Get yourself some Shears and cut the hedges in the town, you'll get up to 40 Clippings and each one restores 4.7 Hunger => +188 Hunger, +40 Health restored with 2x Iron + 2x Twigs (They can also be traded for ice or any other 1 Oinc food in the 1st town so you'll get 40 non-spoiling Fillers for the Crock Pot)

On the other hand: Money is meant to be spent in DS: Hamlet and there's a reason why this game is called "Don't Starve"

I have to agree with Viktor, there are plenty of ways to get food. As far as leafy meat goes, Snaptooth Seedlings are super easy to kill without getting hurt, and Flytraps usually don't get more than one hit off on me. Tubers will poison everyone but WX-78, but blooming tubers harvested in lush season (hay fever) are not poisonous and can be eaten raw or cooked for 12.5 and 18.5 hunger respectively. Seed pods from tea trees can be eaten raw or cooked for 9 and 10 hunger respectively. Lotus flowers can be eaten raw or cooked for 12 and 13 hunger respectively. Eating clippings is like eating money so I'd save that as a last resort, but if you don't have iron for shears you can trim bushes with a razor blade for 1 clipping instead of two. Steal from the farming pigs and run from the guard pigs, or buy berry bushes for 2 oincs each. Use a bird cage with an imprisoned bird to recycle spoiling eggs and salvage spoiled food before it rots. When you get cans of Ballphin Free Tuna (from masked pig loot) save them for when you can cook them with 2 monster meat for surf 'n turf. If you find a gummy slug or bean bugs under stone slabs by golly DO NOT give them to a mob. Get some honey from a mant hill real quick (you don't even have to fight mants, just mine a lamp or find a honey chest), cook 1 honey, 1 gummy slug and 2 twigs and you've got a Gummy Cake with the hunger equivalent of a meaty stew that even Wigfrid is willing to eat! Cook 1 meat or monster meat and 3 bean bugs to make Feijoada for 75 hunger. After you kill Pugalisk, 2 monster meat and 2 snake bones makes Snake Bone Soup which is not so good for hunger but turns monster meat into positive health and sanity. And when it comes down to worrying about spending money to get food, this is Hamlet, homie. If you ain't makin' dollas you ain't makin' sense!

On 25/11/2018 at 4:29 AM, SpoonyBardIV said:

So in most of the Don't Starve DLCs, "Don't Starve" is trivial advice. But in Hamlet, you can very easily die from starving. There is next to nothing in terms of SAFE renewable food that doesn't require spending Oincs. The only source of food in the early game is the Asparagus, Aloe and Radishes on the ground. Once they run out, they don't come back. And if you are completely BROKE in terms of Oincs, you are pretty much screwed. Yeah, there are Flytraps for Leafy Meat, but I don't want to risk losing HP just for some food. What Hamlet needs is maybe a Jungle variety of the Berry Bush, or something that can at least sustain you if you have no Oincs. Because as it currently stands, Hamlet is SEVERELY lacking in food.

I think its the variety that's lacking rather than the quantity.

1 hour ago, ansuman said:

I think its the variety that's lacking rather than the quantity.

yeah, the only way to get food seem to be:

1. stealing
  2. buying from shop
  3. hedges (inefficient if its the only way you get food)
  4. spider monkeys (you'd need a lot)
  5. flytraps
  6. hippotatomooses
  7. lotus (pink flowers in lily pond biome)
  8. dung beetles
  9. more, dont have time right now

7 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

1. stealing
  2. buying from shop
  5. flytraps
  6. hippotatomooses
  8. dung beetles

1,2,3 seems only one way to me....that is from the shops

4 - Is it practical ? I think they will be driven to extinction within days & also locked in a biome, depends on your map generation.

6 - same as 4

7- They have 5 days grow time, seems reasonalable

8- seems reasonable

Is there any food in caves/ruins, is there any vegetable/ fruit plant ?why there are so many aloe,radish and aspharagus.I miss the wilderness survival part.

• tea trees (tea pods and pikos)
  • pigs (kill them and eat bacon)
  • mants (combine with flytraps, and you can get honney as well as meat)
  • birds (pigeons, kingfishers and parrots)
  • pogs (will go extinct pretty fast)
  • spiders (only webber can do this)
  • bats

and it seem like they want us to settle in town, this dlc dont seem to be about the wilderness :( 

• "the sty" oddities emperoin (mandrakes and gears (gears only as wx78))
  • poison frogs
  • tuber
  • thunderburds (only if they respawn)
  • berriebushes (berries and gobblers)
  • farms (grow seeds into edible plants)
  • moleworms

20 minutes ago, Sasuga said:

My problem with Hamlet is food spoiling, although I do feed what I can to the villagers before it spoils if it produce poo.

WX-78 and Warly are probably the best characters to handle spoiled food. WX-78 doesn't get any penalties by spoiled food and Warly has a Backpack which halves spoiling & he always has a crockpot available, which halves spoiling once again.

Otherwise:

• Drying Racks & Ice Box can help
  • Cooking food above a Campfire/Fire Pit halves spoilage, same goes to Crockpot
  • Wet food or food on the ground spoils faster than normal, Backpack slows wetness: Try to keep your food in your Backpack

On 11/28/2018 at 6:15 AM, Viktor234 said:

WX-78 and Warly are probably the best characters to handle spoiled food. WX-78 doesn't get any penalties by spoiled food and Warly has a Backpack which halves spoiling & he always has a crockpot available, which halves spoiling once again.

Otherwise:

• Drying Racks & Ice Box can help
  • Cooking food above a Campfire/Fire Pit halves spoilage, same goes to Crockpot
  • Wet food or food on the ground spoils faster than normal, Backpack slows wetness: Try to keep your food in your Backpack

Thanks, I'm aware of ways to preserve food. But if I don't feed it to the pigs, it ends up as rot with me fully-full. The original poster said there isn't enough food, I've got more food than I know what to do with most of the time. - They just need to experiment, learn, or I guess now take advantage of the information int his thread.

1 minute ago, Sasuga said:

Thanks, I'm aware of ways to preserve food. But if I don't feed it to the pigs, it ends up as rot with me fully-full. The original poster said there isn't enough food, I've got more food than I know what to do with most of the time. - They just need to experiment, learn, or I guess now take advantage of the information int his thread.

Feeding it to the pigs isn't a bad idea because you can still get 1 oinc for picking up the poop, which can be used for other food. Otherwise you can use the food to increase your health/sanity by standing next to the flower or sleeping in the tent (right before the next day starts to save some time or when night comes to get rid of the hay fever season).

17 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Feeding it to the pigs isn't a bad idea because you can still get 1 oinc for picking up the poop, which can be used for other food. Otherwise you can use the food to increase your health/sanity by standing next to the flower or sleeping in the tent (right before the next day starts to save some time or when night comes to get rid of the hay fever season).

Right, but the pigs don't give poo for meats, seeds, and other things so I don't bother giving those things to the pigs. If I can get poo from it, I give it to 'em.

On 11/27/2018 at 12:21 PM, metallichydra said:

1. stealing
  2. buying from shop
  5. flytraps
  6. hippotatomooses
  8. dung beetles

On 11/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, metallichydra said:
  • tea trees (tea pods and pikos)
  • pigs (kill them and eat bacon)
  • mants (combine with flytraps, and you can get honney as well as meat)
  • birds (pigeons, kingfishers and parrots)
  • pogs (will go extinct pretty fast)
  • spiders (only webber can do this)
  • bats

and it seem like they want us to settle in town, this dlc dont seem to be about the wilderness :( 

• "the sty" oddities emperoin (mandrakes and gears (gears only as wx78))
  • poison frogs
  • tuber
  • thunderburds (only if they respawn)
  • berriebushes (berries and gobblers)
  • farms (grow seeds into edible plants)
  • moleworms

* tall birds (if you get the spawn)

* mushrooms

* cracking vases (won't last forever)

* asperigas

* raddishes

* peaguaks

* butterflies

* fish from kingfishers

* connect to another world and get all their food and bring it back

On 12/1/2018 at 2:02 AM, metallichydra said:

give your meat to the snaptooth's

Fair, but that requires more effort than I care to, since the leafy meat will just rot eventually too. :D

12 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

feed the leafy meat to snaptooths to get even more snaptooths.
let the snaptooths take over the world!

I think these are quite a good source of food and is sustaintainable.

Pogs/Spidermonkey/hippo : all of them have a very low pop growth.

Yeah, I've always wished that in all the Don't Starves the leafy-meat could be dried and/or cooked in the crock-pot. I could see not making meatballs with them, but perhaps they could count as a meat for a meaty-stew if only one is used in the recipe with other meats, or perhaps two of them and two twigs could make a ratatouille, instead of requiring four vegies. Maybe special recopies could be/could have been made for 'em.

And as for drying them, they shouldn't by any means be as awesome as meat-jerky, but they could survive a long time and feed ya pretty well, probably... Kinda like seaweed in SW... though dried seaweed in SW isn't that great.

Collard Greens anyone?

Archived