Pro Tip: How to ensure you always have a light source

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I thought I'd share this little trick I realized the other day:The new research system allows you to 'bank' structures. If you build a structure you can right click to cancel the build. The materials are still consumed, but the 'Build' button changes to 'Place', and placing the structure will cost no additional resources. Doing this with a campfire will ensure that you have a light source in an emergency situation when you may have no other light source or the materials to build one.'Banking' structures can also help to lighten your inventory while travelling, or to get all your basic structures built and ready to place before you find the sweet spot for your base.My apologies if this was common knowledge :)

• Like 1

The most amazing tip I saw here was the straw roll taking half of your hunger and not a fixed value. After that I always skip the night and feed on the next day. Since then its only one meal a day.I just figured out one that could have saved me a lot of trips: If you "give" something to the wormhole, it will appear on the other end.

I just figured out one that could have saved me a lot of trips: If you "give" something to the wormhole, it will appear on the other end.

This is really handy, but unfortunately it only works for items that have the "tradable" attribute, which is limited to food, hats, and gravedigger items.I discovered this attribute while messing with the game files. I was able to make it so you can give armor/backpacks to pigs. It's a little too buggy for me to release it as a mod, but its a pretty simple hack.

This is really handy, but unfortunately it only works for items that have the "tradable" attribute, which is limited to food, hats, and gravedigger items.I discovered this attribute while messing with the game files. I was able to make it so you can give armor/backpacks to pigs. It's a little too buggy for me to release it as a mod, but its a pretty simple hack.

It'd be nice to have a pig follow you around carrying all your stuff like chester, except a pig helps you out with certain things. =P

It'd be nice to have a pig follow you around carrying all your stuff like chester, except a pig helps you out with certain things. =P

Yes. But unfortunately the pigs seem reluctant to give you back your backpack until you kill them. Normally, if you give a pig a new hat he will drop his old hat. In the case of body items, while the pigs WILL equip the armor (tested it), but they wont drop it when you give them something new, they will just continue to hoard body equip items until you kill them, or not give you back the backpack if you try to swap it with a different backpack.

Yes. But unfortunately the pigs seem reluctant to give you back your backpack until you kill them. Normally, if you give a pig a new hat he will drop his old hat. In the case of body items, while the pigs WILL equip the armor (tested it), but they wont drop it when you give them something new, they will just continue to hoard body equip items until you kill them, or not give you back the backpack if you try to swap it with a different backpack.

Couldn't you add an option to "Open"/"Store" the pig like Chester once he has a backpack?

Couldn't you add an option to "Open"/"Store" the pig like Chester once he has a backpack?

Beyond my abilities, I think. Or at least, I can't really dedicate the time right now to figure it out. I think I will post the work I have done right now as a WiP in the mods forum, see if anyone else more talented/industrious than me can work out the kinks.edit: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?10439-Equipping-pigs-with-armor-backpacks-tools-amp-weapons&p=87851#post87851 Edited by helointernet

I've been using this trick to store resources. Like when I get too much grass, I just hit that campfire and then I can pick up a few more pieces. Or when I have enough resources to make my second effigy, but don't want to lose more max HP, so I store it until I can so the meat doesn't spoil.

Carry plenty of grass, strawrolls are op to easily skip nights.fireflies work in a pinch, you'll need to run back and forth between 2+ firefly'sif you can beat a pig back to his home during dusk, right as it turns night, you can hang out outside his home and get the lightcarry 2 torches! one to see and one to burn the trees, then you can mine/chop wood/kill stuff during the night