PC Memory Performance

Hello

Before posting here I found out that the problem I am experiencing is not unique to me, most people call this Memory Leak, but is that really the case?

While playing a New Base, keeping it small, not upgrading it even after 400 cycles, the game still runs buttery smooth. So, what's the cause?

My own thoughts on the matter are these:

1) Plumbing System: After long hours of playing and upgrading, you start "spaghetting" your base with tubes of all kinds, if you haven't done that, then you havent really played ON. The water systems are always running in your background, you can literately see the water move even if you are not in the plumbing overlay, it's a beautiful effect if you have notice it. 

2) Ventilation System: Same as with 1.

3) Oxygen Overlay: Tell me you haven't noticed a rich oxygen environment or any other kind of gas and see it "flow" move about, as if it has a life of it's own. 

4) The discovered world around you. This game is alive, most things function without you having to touch it, the sparks on the Power Transformer, the Leaking of the Natural Gas Generator, even the flora and fauna around you, and plenty of little things that add life to this world. Heck, you can even see Ice MELT.

As you continue to discover more and more things around you the game starts to use MORE AND MORE ram, which you eventually will hit a point where the game lags so much that you cant really play it, Now, i never noticed such things before, i used to have my computer with 32 GB of ram and great processor to go with it, but after my PC's sadly death, i been downgraded to Work-potato-pc and that is when i started to notice the high consumption of ram of this game. 

Solution: (or so i think that will lower the burden on the pc)

A graphical OPTION where you can eliminate this beautiful little things, to ONLY see the water flow when you are in the Plumbing overlay, or the Gas flow in the Ventilation overlay, in a sense less information running in the background that DO NOT take away from the beauty of the game. I swear i have opened the plumbing tabs on some of my runs and the game literately lags a little. There is simply too much information there. 

(maybe i have no idea what i am talking about, but if you have a solution, please feel free to let me know)

Water flow.jpg

ON turn off.png

big size base 2 rockets.png

Its not about the ram usage. Its about the number of simulated tiles and stuff in the game.

The heat spread you see in the game happens every second or so (maybe continuously, idk). So everything you explore is just something more for the simulation to render.

When you've the whole map explored, you have a hell lot of stuff to simulate.

On top of that, the aggregation of piping, ventilation, transport system etc etc draws up most of the PC resources, leaving us to experience very low fps.

Atleast, that's my understanding of the game's problem.

or maybe I'm just woefully wrong and that there's no CPU that can accurately run this game at good fps in this decade.

Take a look at your CPU. 

Now keep in mind, ONI is a singlecore game. (yes it is)

Your Windows will spread the load to different cores, so it seems to use all cores availlable. But it does not. Yeah it does in a way, but its only like "harry do 2+2, now tina add 4 to it, and now ben divide by 3". Its not parallel its serial. 

Core 1 does a thing, then windows relays to core 2, to give core 1 time to cool down. And so on and on.

So, knowing this, its no wonder, one comes to a state, the game lags. Every bit of gas, liquid, dupe-pathing, critter-pathing.... its sums up.

Most fps reducing things in the game atm are:

1. Jetsuits - the pathing calculations for dupes especially in space can half your fps.

2. Critters - Once you discover all the wild critters and start breeding new ones there`s a ton of extra calculations for their pathing. Keeping multiple ranches can reduce fps significantly.

3. Debris - the longer the game lasts the more stuff is laying on the ground. All the debris are simulated and interact with gas in the tile they`re in and the tile on top of which they are. To increase fps you need to sweep all that ore (from what i heard it`s best to have 1 compator per element).

He talking about RAM overusage, not about CPU.

This is also problem in game, once i've seen game consumes 12gb of ram, i never seen before that some single .exe eats so much ram. And all i did was on new map in sandbox mode i fill abyssalite layers(borders between all biomes) with carbon at 9999K and 25000kg(per tile), so all map start melting and boiling, in 50-100 cycles i look at ram usage and it was ~12gb. Was no pipes/conveyors/creatures/devices nothing, just temperature/mass exchange across all map.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:12 AM, ArunPrasath said:

Its not about the ram usage. Its about the number of simulated tiles and stuff in the game.

The heat spread you see in the game happens every second or so (maybe continuously, idk). So everything you explore is just something more for the simulation to render.

This is my point. If they could simplify the things not in "view" it could definitely lower the Ram requirement. 

As for those talking about CPU... what? I dont see a problem there. 

22 hours ago, babba said:

Maybe same developer of Chrome is working on ON?

On 11/19/2018 at 8:46 AM, Copy3ms said:

This is my point. If they could simplify the things not in "view" it could definitely lower the Ram requirement.

The problem is once you simplify things not in the view, the physics of the game would change when you aren't looking at it.  That would be hellish to figure out.

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

The problem is once you simplify things not in the view, the physics of the game would change when you aren't looking at it.

This reminds me of the bunker door bug that makes them open slower when off screen. Maybe there`s already some sort of "off screen" system in the game.

Archived