Simple polluted oxygen factory

Is nobody interested in polluted oxygen? I've always considered a pretty valuable resource. Especially now that ceramic is so much more useful. You get slightly more oxygen from water -> polluted water(shower) -> polluted oxygen -> oxygen+clay than you do from water -> oxygen+hydrogen. Moreover, it's pretty useful if you want to start some mid-game oxylite production with Dense Pufts - you need the polluted oxygen to kick your prince puft + puft production into high gear. I always thought using mass morbs to be dumb and finicky.

Here's my easy mid-game setup that has enough surface area for polluted water to give off 500 g/s of polluted oxygen. Enough for 5 deodorizers to run non-stop. Tip: Building something like this is a good way to learn all about how to avoid dupes get their head stuck in a building ;).

5bf0748f74a7f_Screenshot(16).thumb.png.90255fff5f94a24351546dd06f75af61.png

This uses a bit of automation to try to keep the pressure coming out of my O2 tunnel reasonable. I wanted a bit of the O2 to seep into my base and compete with other O2 sources. If I were to build it again, I'd put the gas pump to the left, since that's where you want the lowest pressure area to be.

Obviously - this could be completely automated for the delivery of sand/regolith and output of clay - so that dupes don't have to run in and pop their ears every so often. In fact, it's a pretty good way into turning regolith into a useful building component - albeit slowly.

Less obviously - you can use pressure hacks to make this build super small. You use some of techniques I see Lifegrow is so fond of to make a 1 tile high, 5 tile wide layer of polluted water that is super pressurized. Polluted oxygen offgassing is done as a percentage of the quantity in the tile. If the tile has 20t of polluted water, you get 800kg of polluted oxygen at a go. That said, this isn't really that big a thing to put somewhere off to the side of your base.

Screenshot (17).png

Screenshot (18).png

Screenshot (19).png

If you bottle the PW first it emits Polluted Oxygen much faster

Just now, ChickenMadness said:

Does polluted water ever run out when it emits PO2? or is it infinite?

no it's a 1:1 ratio

12 minutes ago, Nickerooni said:

Is nobody interested in polluted oxygen?

have you tried searching the forums first before asking that? 

I find the easiest source of getting extra oxygen from polluted oxygen is placing deodorizers next to algae terrariums

I build setups like this that maximize the efficiency of terrariums by turning them off when pressure gets too high

This pic was taken during the 700s cycles of my base and I still have over 60 tons of algae in storage

Haven't needed to build an electrolyzer yet! 

20181117160749_1.thumb.jpg.ff7047cfc406cdb7069827d4be137d0e.jpg

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

I find the easiest source of getting extra oxygen from polluted oxygen is placing deodorizers next to algae terrariums

I build setups like this that maximize the efficiency of terrariums by turning them off when pressure gets too high

This pic was taken during the 700s cycles of my base and I still have over 60 tons of algae in storage

Haven't needed to build an electrolyzer yet! 

20181117160749_1.thumb.jpg.ff7047cfc406cdb7069827d4be137d0e.jpg

What is the water usage compared to an electrolyzer?

8 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

on average It uses 1.8kg/s water and emits 600g/s oxygen

compared to an electrolyzer that uses 1kg/s and emits 888g/s oxygen

when it comes to water an electrolyzer is more effective however my setup doen't require power and can be built by cycle 50 if you rush the research and it doesn't require power 

If I had to rate it I would say this build is more effective than a deoxydizer but less effective than an electrolyzer

also you get a bonus of removing excess CO2 from your base early on

20 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

An electrolyzer "uses" 1000g water to make 888 g O2 and 112g H2.

terrariums "use" 10g of water to make 44g of O2. They also convert 290g/s of water to PH20 (just sieve it back to clean water and get some dirt in trade, also, the bottle on the ground will gas off if you never even deliver it anywhere, meaning that other 290g of water turns into 290g of PH2O that you deodorize in place to clean O2)

Overall, they produce 5x more O2 per H2O as an electrolyzer does (if you're cleaning the PH2O), and also, compared to deoxidizers, 61% more oxygen per algae.

The only downside is dupe labor. Making terrariums a mainstay for oxygen eats up a few extra errands per cycle.

1 minute ago, avc15 said:

terrariums "use" 10g of water to make 44g of O2. They also convert 290g/s of water to PH20 (just sieve it back to clean water and get some dirt in trade)

I just leave it on the ground for deoderizers to make more oxygen

Just now, Neotuck said:

I just leave it on the ground for deoderizers to make more oxygen

I forgot to mention that at first, yeah, I edited something back in as you replied.

Of course my figures are off in that approach but still it's pretty good.

Just now, avc15 said:

I forgot to mention that at first, yeah, I edited something back in as you replied.

Of course my figures are off in that approach but still it's pretty good.

the main problem I have had is filtration medium

I have had to turn igneous rock into sand to keep up with the deoderizers

Of course this won't be a problem once you break out onto the surface and use regolith

I saw your post on the algae terrariums. It’s neat. I’m surprised you haven’t automated it yet after so many cycles! Although, I guess at some point you’ll need electrolyzers for dat hydrogen.

paired with pufts and algae distillers, algae terrariums are sustainable. No running out of algae.

How do you keep the pressure around the polluted water bottles low enough that they’ll continue to off-gas?

4 minutes ago, Nickerooni said:

How do you keep the pressure around the polluted water bottles low enough that they’ll continue to off-gas?

the atmo sensor is set to 1500g and after 200s on the filter gate the doors open and turn off the terrariums

I have yet to see the pressure exceed 1800g so they are always off-gassing 

It is a bit sick that one algae terrarium can support 3 dupes nowadays. I take back my automation comment. It’s a bit unnecessary. Unless, you want to shunt the polluted gas off to pufts. Or, if you want to ensure that regolith is used instead of sand.

I built your terrarium PO2 oxygen farm Neotuck, I nearly lost my colony due to slimelung and depression.  Several of my dupes developed slimelung, while the rest were all nearly tipped over the edge and threatened to destroy the base with golden showers and busting stuff up.

This was my own fault though, I had failed to build a bottle emptier for the Polluted water generated, as a result, there was too much bottle water for the deoderizers to handle and caused every dupe to get popped ear drums and increase stress from living in a sewer farm.

2 minutes ago, Nickerooni said:

It is a bit sick that one algae terrarium can support 3 dupes nowadays.

in my build, 2 terrariums support 1 dupe

3 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

I had failed to build a bottle emptier for the Polluted water generated, as a result, there was too much bottle water for the deoderizers to handle

I never used a bottle emptier, you sure you just didn't run out of sand? that's the problem I always had

4 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

caused every dupe to get popped ear drums and increase stress from living in a sewer farm.

what was your atmo sensor set to? if the pressure exceeds 1800 then the bottles won't off-gas and that's way below the pressure needed to pop ear drums

Do the closed doors stop the bottles from off gassing?  I didn't have room to let the drop completely through the doors, so I let them get shuffled up and down when the doors open/closed.  This might be why my base started to resemble a sewer.

4 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Do the closed doors stop the bottles from off gassing?  I didn't have room to let the drop completely through the doors, so I let them get shuffled up and down when the doors open/closed.  This might be why my base started to resemble a sewer.

possible the pressure just builds up in the 1 tile gap slowing down the off-gassing

Also in my experience you need one deoderizer per terrarium and if you count them up in my picture I have 12 of each

I don't think I had a 1:1 ratio, probably more like 1:2 deoderizer to terrariums.  Initially it was enough to convert the PO2, however, after about 100 cycles, I guess it was too much extra to convert.  Possibly, due to there being 2 different gases present, the pressure sensor couldn't do their jobs correctly and started opening the doors more than they should have, leading to runaway hysteresis.

I shall follow your design much closer next time...

Mine (patterned after Neotuck's) uses a 10 second filter then a 10 second buffer (maybe the other way around?) on an atmosphere sensor set at 1600 and placed at the same height, but off to the extreme left of the room. Around cycle 120 the terrariums were off more than they were on and I was getting enough O2 for 9 dupes and a pump constantly filling 8 exosuit docks. 

Like Neotuck has mentioned, the only problem has been enough sand. This was the first game I had to actively dig out sand deposits. 

Thanks again Neotuck for making me play with Terrariums again!

I was starting to get concerned about the sand requirements, however, due to the complete and total collapse in my dupes colony, I had to find an alternative asap, which forced me to build a couple of SPOM's from a water vent.  It took a long time for my dupes to clear away the PW.

I'm going to combine this posts design with neotucks for my puft farm, these 2 designs look simpler to build than the bottle emptier pressure pad design.  Of course, no dupes will be harmed this time, it's going to be dupe friendly :D

30 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

I'm going to combine this posts design with neotucks for my puft farm, these 2 designs look simpler to build than the bottle emptier pressure pad design.  Of course, no dupes will be harmed this time, it's going to be dupe friendly :D

interesting, I wonder if the pufts can provide enough slime for distilling to keep the terrariums supplied?

now I wanna design a puft sable too! 

.......If Pufts making Slime for Distillers to make Algae for Terrariums into P-H2O back to P-O2 for the Pufts becomes sustainable, we might be onto a new infinite resource loop.

Which, if the numbers work out, would end up being Dirt positive when the Distiller's P-H2O gets Sieved to clean to be fed back to the Terrariums.  So Filtration Medium (Sieve, back-up Deodorizers) and Power (Sieve, Distiller, lights over Terrariums) go in, and Dirt (Sieve -> Compost), Meat (Puft remains) and Eggs (Pufts) come out.

Archived