Don't Die

what was the last time you died from Starvation ?
i would say your first and 2nd time only.
considering you can make a full on meal with a dead spider meat and Ice, well that is just beautiful, isn't it ?
the game isn't Hard/Challenging anymore, i always have 100 monster meat laying in my fridge or bundles.
and the hunger isn't really taken into consideration when i'm doing anything
the game has just turned into How To Kite simulator and who can be the first to find an exploit to kill that boss.
this is honestly worrying me, every boss is fought with an exploit either you defeat an after life reanimated skeleton with a plant or become Jesus with a dresser.
the game became a strategy game not that it's a bad thing but, i'm pretty sure we expected a survival game, where food is actually hard to get not just kill anything in sight and know where food is all the time, what's even the point of playing after a 100 days of playing ?
building a base ? well, i will just go play Minecraft then.
i need a challenge. i need to play and be scared to not find food. i need to Starve. Once... Just once..
**( i have knowledge of the upcoming " updates " to DST after the forge and i hope it's promising unlike other Updates we got [ Winona ] aka [ Wilson 2.0 ] )**

beeeeeeef.png

2 hours ago, CrimXane said:

i need a challenge. i need to play and be scared to not find food. i need to Starve. Once... Just once..

There are world gen options. Set the food all to "less". If you just roll a default world and then complain about it you're doing something wrong.

Well actually no, not my first and second deaths...more like my first time playing Wolfgang once I unlocked him in singleplayer, and then my first time playing Wigfrid on a spring start.  It took me a while to figure out that crock pot meals CONTAINING meat were also acceptable for her, and I didn't have to eat nothing but plain meat all the time.  Once I got that down she started starving a lot less.  : P

Anyway.  Here's a world-gen idea:  More of winter and/or summer.  If things are all withered or not growing back--and possibly also ON FIRE--tada!  Less food!  In fact, since in winter you can do the monster meat + ice thing, how 'bout just summer for a while.  A bit of spring to set up perhaps so you can get a science machine and not insta-die from heat before you're able to even make an endo fire, and then see how long you can live in a world that is BAKING TO DEATH.  >:D

You might not even have to turn things down to less!  Leave things unpicked on bushes and go nomadic?  Good luck finding those bushes even still _alive_ once you get there!  Need grass for fires so you don't die in the dark or overheat to death, and everything's wilted?  Too bad!  Tumbleweeds and grass geckoes can help, but you gotta find 'em first...

I dunno, sounds worth a try.  But if you're planning to play this possibly not-alone, you might wanna put a warning in the description.  : P

...Notorious

One of my Wigfrid starving-to-death early attempts at her, I did, in fact, go out BEATING A TREEGUARD TO DEATH.  In fact, _three_ of them spawned all at once and, ironically, I warrior-chicked them all to oblivion one after the other.

THEN starved about five seconds later.  XD

My very first death was actually due to (sighs) darkness...but on Night 35 rather than Night 1, and it's because I was in such a dense forest I couldn't figure out where to put my campfire down in time.  (Did I think to make a torch?  OF COURSE NOT! : P)

...Notorious

Hardcore much? Good! Set from worldgenoverride a cave-only server. Set regular spiders to none. Set cave-spiders to few. Set mushrooms to none. Set worms waves to none. Set all plants to few. Set monkeys and Ruins worms to few. Set world to perpetual night. Set short seasons. Pick Wes. Enjoy your searching for those elusive berry bushes in the dark. You're welcome!

You don't have world presets for nothing you know.

Also go on Klei official servers and see the wonder of how people die from starvation left and right - you know... the vast majority of them casuals. Or from catcoon - love those, mmmhm!

If you need to spice up your game try the "Eat Your Veggies!" Mod from Joeshmocoolstuff in which you are resticted what you can eat.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=882272724

5 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Also go on Klei official servers and see the wonder of how people die from starvation left and right - you know... the vast majority of them casuals. Or from catcoon - love those, mmmhm!

A classical one is a Webber which was killed by a spider. Also things that happen pretty often on Klei official servers is killed by Monster Meat.

And there's also the Food Allergies one.  And...what is it actually called, just "Hardmode"?  The one where hound waves get faster and hit harder over time, for just one example, and the picture for it has a gravestone that says "Here lies Crybaby Peepants".  The mod ITSELF freaking _bullies_ you, right on the opening screen.  Good times.

But if we're talking no mods, just with vanilla gameplay options...well, what Xy said, pretty much.  Good things on less, dangerous things on more, mess with the seasons and/or night and day lengths...that kind of thing.  (shrug)

...Notorious

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

And...what is it actually called, just "Hardmode"?  The one where hound waves get faster and hit harder over time, for just one example, and the picture for it has a gravestone that says "Here lies Crybaby Peepants".  The mod ITSELF freaking _bullies_ you, right on the opening screen.  Good times.

It is indeed just called Hard Mode.

Ah, I got it right then.  Good.

While we're mentioning make-things-harder mods....it's not HUNGER, exactly, but if you'd like to worry even more about constantly-going-down basic survival stats that you have to watch all the time, why not try New and Improved Thirst!  (Actually this kinda IS the "new and improved" version; this is Thirsty for Tea; apparently the original just-named-Thirst one is out of date and now crashes sometimes.)  

While you're at it, are fires too easy to start (shut up, Willow)?  Then try Kindling!  Both are available at your local pain-market.

(I've played with Thirst extensively (it was in my March of Civilization Challenge), so I can vouch for that one.  Kindling I haven't tried yet.)

...Notorious

If the game's too easy then ur just not challenging yourself enough.

While I'd love to see them create more new content for DST, you can make the game as hard or easy on urself as u like. Set personal goals like never picking carrots or berries for food, or never reviving from the portal in endless, or never playing that OP character that removes all the challenge... Also, having the self-discipline to not use EXPLOITS which are called exploits for a reason (exploiting a game mechanic for NON-INTENDED results) would also benefit you. Using the world gen options to make resources more scarce is also an option. Set the bar higher for urself and then adjust accordingly to find the right balance of challenge to frustration. GLHF out there.

23 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

i have a friend that can easily die from hunger literally in the grown berry bush field (he actually did it, as well as other hunger deaths), he's good player nonetheless

his name ironically contains words "wild" and "solo"

That reminds me of times I've seen Sims do the "I'M HUUNNNGRRRYYY!!" (point at mouth, rub stomach, whine) animation...right in front of a table full of food.  One guy actually dropped dead in front of a full turkey dinner.  XD

...Notorious

Oh, it's even better than that.  He was right in front of the damn thing.  (And yes there's also turkey, it's just out of the shot.  Even so, the salad right there would've kept him ALIVE!)

1475hungrystupid.png.1d59f59fd00e63e5b36a660104cdc86d.png    

I should mention here that this was part of an aptly-named "I'm Surrounded by Idiots" challenge, which is why everyone was randomly running around in their underwear, starving, slapping, arguing, letting the toddler fall asleep on the floor (shame on you!) etc.  When I actually _play_ my Sims properly, this doesn't usually happen.  Also I don't usually have something like 43 people (with a mod obviously), many of them small children (and a cat) all in the same house.  XD 

I'm actually kind of amazed it took THIS long for somebody to do the "starve in front of food" thing, because the more artificial unintelligence you stuff into one area, the stupider and stupider things get.  Kinda like real people that way.  ;) 

Anyway.  : P

...Notorious

Archived