Feedback after playing and failing 3 games

First impressions were that it's brutally hard but getting easier as you start to understand the mechanics. 

In the first game I didn't understand the priority system. It was quite hard to adapt my playstyle once I found the screen. 

I didn't understand rooms, I played the majority of time without rooms thinking I would research them at some point. Doh. 

For the third game I had to look up how morale works, understanding this made a huge difference. Especially avoiding assinging jobs when morale is low. 

The negative spiral you can get into with either stress or slimelung can be very hard to escape from. Especially when you're still learning the mechanics. The duplicants basically stop doing labor. 

Tantrums destroying my deoxidizers cost me my first 2 games. Plus its repair requiring storage priority which seems a bug. Even then it was impossible to repair them faster than they were getting destroyed. 

Plumbing could use some usability improvements. Algae terrarium would benefit from higher capacity pipes/intersections. Also more flexible routing would be convenient. Because currently you can't mix suppliers and consumers in a network, they need to have separate sides. Maybe copy it from Factorio. 

I think mouth breather should be nerfed, I'll never pick a mouth breather because of the high extra upkeep. 

Contradictory personality traits are weird. A gastrophobe with cooking skill? Also at first it was unclear to me if the modifier numbers include the traits (they do). Maybe put the traits first and then the tital modifier numbers? 

My duplicants are always grimy but they don't take a shower. 

Every tooltip/description should display the relevant priority types!!!! I can't stress enough how important this is!!!!

I'm still confused sometimes why certain jobs don't get done. Especially bottle emptier. Maybe we can generate a duplicants "todo-list" to get some insight into this? 

I needed to reconstruct a pitcher pump when water got mixed up to get it working again. Also some construction or dig jobs I think I had to cancel and re-assign. 

I think deodorizer is OP and should not be in the game. If you stick it next to a storage compactor with slime or polluted dirt you get free oxygen. That's too easy compared to the other ways of generating oxygen which require precious algae. I haven't tried electrolyzer yet, maybe I'll think that's OP too. 

I think suits are maybe too far in the tech tree. It's annoying when you can't reach a resource because of Cl2 or CO2. Or maybe I'm not prioritizing research enough. 

Oops wrong forum. 

46 minutes ago, Erikvv said:

Every tooltip/description should display the relevant priority types!!!! I can't stress enough how important this is!!!!

Select Dupe... hover mouse over building... profit...

5bb99405cbc81_ScreenShot2018-10-07at07_03_43.png.14949bfdb2971c77849c5c204b4b557e.png

p.s. your feedback pretty clearly shows lack of understanding the game...

4 hours ago, thejams said:

Select Dupe... hover mouse over building... profit...

5bb99405cbc81_ScreenShot2018-10-07at07_03_43.png.14949bfdb2971c77849c5c204b4b557e.png

p.s. your feedback pretty clearly shows lack of understanding the game...

I think thejams is correct. A lot of your mentions show lack of game knowledge. Just keep playing and learning the game, that's the fun part anyway.

everyone here has gone through the same thing time and again, failure will always be an option

be wary of the negatives you choose before you dive into a colony such as destructive or mouth breather as they can be problematic in the early game but once you achieve stability you can probably bring in more dupes who can cover those negatives as a bonus to cater to your needs, it's a game of thinking outside the box to solve problems

As for bottle emptiers try making more than one. Especially if you base your oxygen production on terrariums. One just doesn`t empty bottles fast enough and you get a lot of bottles laying around.

Exosuits aren`t mandatory untill you want to go to the surface or to the oil biome. In other areas you can survive easily without them. Slimelung can be controlled with the "op deodorizer" and storing slimelung under water. You can put a single terrarium in areas with no oxygen so you can access them easier (especially good in CO2 areas but works in clorine too).

You might find the electrolizer oo as well. The thing uses little power and produces enough hydrogen to sustain iteslf using a hydrogen generator which makes no sense when you think about it. It`s used commonly as a self sustaining system taking water and outputting power and oxygen. Usually called the SPOM.

It is a "catastrophe" game, where while you deal with one thing, the next killer creeps up in the background. The whole idea is to fail and fail again until you make it and the best game experience is to figure it all out by yourself. 

21 hours ago, Mayveena said:

Not everyone is up to that, and since they paid for the game they'd like to be able to play it their way. That's why I did the doc, so that people could at least get started.

Sure, I have no problem with that. In fact, the more people like this game, the more of this type we are going to see! 

4 hours ago, JukedByLife said:

This is great information for beginners, wish I had this when I started playing. Great job!

Thanks I worked at making sure I wasn't telling people how to play. I've considered doing a casual walkthrough (which is how I play) but I don't want to again tell people how to play or make them feel as if they miss one little thing they've screwed up.

A very good initial post. Since a while I play in debug mode, I call it "Assisted God Mode". Too often I played a few thousand cycles and then was stuck in a dead end with this game and had to restart. Especially with populations of a few hundred dupes. I first believed it would break the immersion for me, but I enjoy the game in a much greater way now. It feels more like Populous back then.

Well it kinda proves mine - all errands are shown on the priority popups.

5bbd9a13b82e8_ScreenShot2018-10-10at08_16_31.thumb.png.e131aab7d25427a686e1e20ccc214988.png

You do get a fairly decent explanation too, which (kinda) makes it clear why multiple priorities have the Deliver errand :) 

Now true, this is not perfect, but do bear in mind that UI polish usually comes pretty late in Early Access dev cycles.

ONI is a complex game, so do ask questions.  I'm pretty sure the forum would be happy to help you.

I agree, failing is how most of us learned the game.  However tips to consider, very very carefully select your first three dupes and the next ten as well. The only bad trait you want to see is ugly crier and vomiter maybe small bladder - extra water from all three -  never ever pick mouth breather, bottomless stomach or destructive no matter how nice their other traits look.  Never take more dupes until you have plenty of extra food and oxygen to support them.  I stick with my original three for at least 10 to 15 cycles, then stick with five to six for at least 50 cycles and I play into the hundreds of cycles with just 11 to 12.  That alone makes life on the asteroid so much easier! Next - spam sinks.  You want sinks before their bedrooms, before the food storage, before food prep and definitely in front of any doors leading out of your main base. The game doesn't really say this, but Vitamin Chews are critical if you venture into the slime before you have exo-suits, they help the dupes immune system so if they are exposed to slime lung or food poison there is less of a chance they actually get sick.    Fourth, stay out of the jungle until you have deodorizers and a med bay built and then click on the "germ" overlay and avoid digging up the slime lung blocks.  If you really have to, in one of the polluted water pools build a storage container under water and store the slime there so it does not off gas.  If you have sent dupes into the jungle, keep an eye on the # of germs on their individual health screen, if it gets high, use door permissions to lock them out of the jungle so they do not breathe more slimelung and tip them over into disease.   To help with food and morale, build some bristle blossom planters around the printer, use the "light" overlay and you can see where to build them, you can fit six in without any trouble.  Honestly though, the biggest thing is trying and failing - the above are what I wish I had known first, but if you play "slow" as in keep your dupe count way down until you have an overabundance of food and your oxygen is set, you can absorb most issues early game.  Good luck!!  EDIT  I forgot one of the other things I wish had been better explained in early game spam decor!!  You can keep stress down much better when you keep the base decor super high. Use the "Decor" overlay and make sure your whole base is bright green.

At world creation everything can be set to easy, "No sweat" or similar. For beginners it's hard enough on the easy setting. I often play on easy, having a total of 20000 cycles or so played with lots of maps. Good luck :)

2 hours ago, babba said:

At world creation everything can be set to easy, "No sweat" or similar. For beginners it's hard enough on the easy setting. I often play on easy, having a total of 20000 cycles or so played with lots of maps. Good luck :)

Indeed. Get to know things on easy mode, that will be challenging enough for a beginner and allows you to learn how things work. Then do it again on survival. My first 3 colonies or so were utter disasters, with everybody suffocating in CO2, dying from overheating or from illness. That is quite normal.

I 100% agree about the tooltips. I've had the game since steel was just a rumour, am currently past cycle 800 on a Rocketry Upgrade base, using petroleum, heat deletion, and plenty of esoteric shenanigans, and I had never seen the tooltips combo that people are talking about. Priority designations are straight up unintuitive, and that's on the devs, not player knowledge.

Archived