Shove Vole's Diet

So, first off, I'm pretty sure most of us love the idea of the Shove Vole.  As it is, there's so much Regolith in the in-game world, but so little to do with it, after all.  I personally also love the promise of something that can reasonably produce extra Dirt for our bases.  Of course, in its [edit: initial] state, things are a little funny...

Preview-shove-vole-diet.png.93816f5bf012c3842ca4d87ffb228542.png

[Edit:  Fortunately, they've already changed the 'production' mass ratio, but nothing else.]  It's also interesting how the Shove Vole's stated to eat two things it will never have access to on the surface, which makes me wonder if its diet isn't fully implemented yet.  Given the Shove Vole's nature as a surface-dwelling critter, maybe something more like the following would be reasonable?

----

The main suggestion:

Diet:  Regolith, Mafic Rock
Excretion:  Dirt, Iron Ore

This critter will "produce" the following materials:

Dirt:  25% of consumed mass
Iron Ore:  25% of consumed mass

(Or 40% / 10% - it's less simple but is possibly more 'realistic'.  Or whatever might be good for balance.  BOTH are output, whatever is eaten.)

----

[Edit:  this paragraph's outdated.] First off, Regolith masses on the surface are a little crazy at the moment, so if I may, could we please keep their "production" mass to a limit of 50%, whatever the product ratios?

Secondly, note the suggestion regarding Mafic Rock.  It's been bugging me for a while that Stone Hatches can't eat it.  What's also been bugging me is the Encyclopedia entry for Mafic Rock:

mafic-rock-codex.png.d0a2ede62add61e88cf21a639b2ddaf3.png

We can't even use the Rock Crusher on it, but the Rock Crusher can handle Igneous just fine!  (But I digress.)

Since Mafic Rock's been explicitly stated to be Iron-rich, it should probably be consumed by something that can produce that Iron in return.  As the current direction for the Shove Vole produces Iron, and Mafic Rock's a surface material, why not allow the Shove Vole to eat it as well?  That'll at least make the "iron -rich" thing relevant, even if it's never allowed to be rock-crushed.

Given that Mafic Rock and Regolith are the two primary surface materials, I think it's a reasonable stretch of Lore to say that Regolith is basically equivalent to "Mafic Rock sand," which would help explain why they can return Iron from Regolith.  It's also worth noting that we get a strong analogy to the base Hatch, which can consume Sandstone and Sand to return Coal.  This new buddy's just not so great at the Coal thing, leaving Dirt behind instead.  (But that's okay - Sage Hatches are a thing.)  Finally, this proposal for a modified diet keeps things simple - no matter what it eats, it outputs the same materials at the same mass ratios.

Agreed...I am pissed...shove vole need a big nerf

I understand if eat 100kg of regolith and excrete 50 kg...

I am happy if eat 100 kg of regolith and excrete 5 kg....

I have 9200 TONES in my current play ( utopia.. almost 800 cycle) and 12000 tones only dig from a 15 tiles portion of the map in my old save game (partariada 1370 cycle)...I attached both too see yourself what i am dealing whit.

So i am telling you NO MORE REGOLITH

The game need balance,

Utopia.sav

Partariada.sav

3 hours ago, tzionut said:

Agreed...I am pissed...shove vole need a big nerf

You need reminding that this is an early access game, and this is a PREVIEW of a scheduled update, and the shove vole hasn't even been completed yet.

Stop complaining, the devs are actively working on balancing the specific solution to the problem at hand, as we requested. If you think something is wrong, file a bug report, and keep it on topic.

I agree with @JahwsUF that the shove vole input/output material types seems odd. It should be regolith/mafic rock in, and iron ore, dirt, and regolith out. Mafic rock should be a consumable material that can be used for sand or fed to hatches. Have you tested to see if stone hatches can eat mafic rock?

1 hour ago, Bizzum22 said:

the shove vole might be made to eat the surface material and rebuild the surface so by the time you make it up there, there still is a surface

This seems to be the main goal of the shove vole, to keep the asteroid from being cored out before the player even has the chance to marshal a defense and get the steel bunkers in place.

I do wonder how the shove voles survive on the surface, and if they can extricate themselves when buried by regolith meteors. Can they survive direct hits from meteors?

Last thought: is it just me, or do these little critters seem like a ludicrous exploit for creating dirt and iron ore at no cost? 500% output of consumed mass is a ridiculous amount of fresh material for free. I do appreciate a renewable means of getting dirt and raw ore, both of which are non-renewable, but this seems... overpowered.

2 hours ago, Yunru said:

Anything above a certain mass becomes a tile

Since when does this happen? Isn`t it just happening when certain solids change into others? Like slime/algae into dirt? I had that happen with really low masses too. Liquids form tiles if they fill the whole tile so maybe that`s mass dependant but nothing like forming a tile out of debris.

I think that might actually be intentional. Lets say this thing eats the debris from the surface created by asteroid hits. then it forms new tiles that absorb more hits. Makes sense given that the meteors destroy the surface over time. With enough of those things we can get a perfect equlibrium of the surface getting damaged and rebuild and the overall amount of regolith staying in check (some getting absorbed by the critter and some destroyed by the meteor hits).

3 hours ago, Yunru said:

I doubt they intentionally poop tiles.

Anything above a certain mass becomes a tile, combine that with a typo adding an extra 0 to the amount produced and bam, instant tile.

You're mostly correct. Anything above a certain mass becomes a tile, when it changes state. This is why dirt cookers (pre-rocketry) had a net loss of mass, due to when the fertilizer cooked down into dirt it would usually become a dirt tile.

It's good to see that they've dropped the Shove Vole's output ratio to 50% mass, though I still feel like there are some further dietary adjustments to be made.  It's weird how the Shove Vole currently eats Dirt and Iron Ore when it has no exposure to either.  I can't help but feel like the diet implementation is incomplete still.

1 hour ago, JahwsUF said:

It's weird how the Shove Vole currently eats Dirt and Iron Ore when it has no exposure to either.

Maybe morphs. You most likely can wrangle the guys and feed them dirt and iron ore. Maybe you can reporduce them as different morphs that do more useful things.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, Bizzum22 said:

the shove vole might be made to eat the surface material and rebuild the surface so by the time you make it up there, there still is a surface

I feel like it would be better if they just changed it so meteor storms do not start until there is a surface breach.

I would be interested to see how much of a difference shove moles make in keeping the meteors at bay.  Critters stay in stasis until discovered, so I feel like it wouldn't effect anything until it's too late.  Unless they made these critters exempt from this behavior?

Archived