Pepper Farm and Heat transfer between rooms

Hi!

Ive been playing ONI a lot since the rocketry update and im loving it. The Temparature management seems to be much more straightforward than in earlier releases. Im at cycle ~250, meaning im nearing the lategame. Ive got a steady supply of power (NG and 32 hatches for emergency coal power). My base cooling could use some improvement tho and im planning to do it via cold Oil in radiant pipes through my base. Ive been feeding my dupes only fried mushrooms for a long time now, so i figured its time to upgrade it to Stuffed berries/Pepper Bread.

Ive build a Pepper Plant farm with hot oil temparuture regulation, which works perfectly. The only problem is that the fertilization of the farm/the farming itself  needs dupes to enter the 45 C room, allowing heat to escape to the rest of my base. altho i could just cool it down again, this seems very power inefficient. I wonder: is there a good way to prevent or at least minimize the heat transfer betweeen rooms? I use a double airlock (6 tiles wide) but this just prolongs the heating instead of preventing it. 

In the real world i would access the farm from below, as heat does travel up, but i dont think that applies in ONI. Are there any clever setups you guys use? or should i just put the farm away from the rest of my base?

Vacuum doesent transfer heat at all for example, but how do i achieve an accessable room with vacuum?

Any Tips would be appriciated :)

happy duping

grossbeer

If you want to completly isolate an area of your map while being accassible, you could use a double waterlock to do this:

image.thumb.png.5c1a06ecd2fba1b7bae45194606fb4f5.png

image.thumb.png.2657b5fc09dc464a61a6f2adf4939b51.png

I made the isolated tiles out of abyssalite. For the normal tiles you can use the material you want. You could do this with the smaller waterlocks, too.

This is very stable when the waterpools on both sides have the temperature of their rooms. But remember, that vacuum is not fartprove. Don't let flaturlent dupes into it. One door will help you here to block these guys.

You can create the vacuum in multiple ways. For example, use a gas pump after filling both waterlocks. Or you could build tiles and remove them again to destroy the gases inside the middle room.

This might be overkill but I built a greenhouse that is temp friendly to the farmers.  The farm is complete with auto temperature and atmosphere control that makes a comfortable neutral zone for the farmers to work

1.thumb.png.957b869ad81fdffa2540d60721ebbb5d.png2.thumb.png.6d70ccbeef421034995820d07f8c3cb6.png

water (or any liquid will do) is kept warm in the top with tepidizers controlled with thermal switches

4.thumb.png.f1e9719884fbcd0249eb2431b66236cc.png

cold oxygen and cold P water is pumped in below controlled by atmosphere sensors 

5.thumb.png.5bd75be8e7fa1d505b427e0500be9659.png

As you can see in this picture the thermal comfort zone (grey) were the dupe is located so the farmer never gets too hot or too cold

7.thumb.png.fbba8033ed0fe54f46ed93f307cbf111.png

As an alternative you can make a chlorine or co2 airlock. Here's a sketch I whipped up real fast because I'm not at my desk. 

5ba550e0982ed_airlo.thumb.png.419835d082a6f2a1c7a67c81c47bc3d6.png

Just like a liquid airlock. Just make it 3 or 4 tiles deep. I use two doors(yellow). The left is the one that goes to the farm. The right one leads back to the base. The two deoxidizer (blue) I automate to keep the same pressure. That's important so the co2 or chlorine won't "spill" 

Chlorine is the better insulator. But could be displaced with co2 dupes breath out. I would go for co2

Just use abyssalite wall, and feed your peeper farm with 40 degree C polluted water from carbon skimmer. Your farm will never be too hot for your farmers to enter. You can see that my steel refinery is right next to my farm but the temperature in my farm is around 38 degree

2018-09-24_125057.JPG

I think advice from @camelot is good and practical.

I'll share my experience and opinion. My second point is only remotely relevant to this topic

1. Polluted water temperature is much more important than room temperature. Cold Pwater temperature will bring down the temperature of farm tile, which will eventually pull down pepper's body temperature directly no matter how hot the room currently is. The opposite is true too. So it's much more important, and it's easier to feed it with hot Pwater.

2. Airlock door is a fraud. I don't think anyone really talks about it, but Oxygen and most gas is good at insolation. When everyone wants to wall their rooms, I suggest you leave it open. I'll give you some numbers as below.

Spoiler

resources   thermal conductivity (the number represents heat spread speed)

raw metal >2 mostly >4

tiles of common materials >2

abyssalite 0.00001

plastic 0.15

common gas <0.05

insulation tile made of ceramic 0.0062

insulation tile made of none abyssalite 0.02

So if you walls a room with normal tiles, heat spread speed up by at least 40 times in that tiles than in gas, most insulation tiles can only cut the travel speed in half. However, ceramic insulation and abyssalite (insulation) are true insulation heroes. If you ask me why I can't see that crazy heat spread thru tiles in game, it's because the gas around them prevent them from heating up too quickly.

Airlock door is a fraud.

Not quite. Is good for separate different gases while allowing dupe access. Not good for keeping the heat out for to much. But if you use isolated tile (minimum igneous, then ceramic or ideal abyssalite) the water lock.. the heat from the air is transfer much harder to the liquid of the water lock.

If you use airlock (bottom co2) for separate gases.. if the pressure rise to much you risk to lose it...

11 hours ago, tzionut said:

Not quite. Is good for separate different gases while allowing dupe access. Not good for keeping the heat out for to much. But if you use isolated tile (minimum igneous, then ceramic or ideal abyssalite) the water lock.. the heat from the air is transfer much harder to the liquid of the water lock.

If you use airlock (bottom co2) for separate gases.. if the pressure rise to much you risk to lose it...

I mean airlock door is a game building, not airlock methods. And I assumed we are discussing heat here.

4 hours ago, bleeter6 said:

Just use three doors, two weight plates, and and and gate.

You  know what, I tried that to preserve a dying freezing biome. It sped it up just because my dupes went in there for wheat regularly. When the middle door closes, the heats transfer is quite fast between doors. I would say it’s great way for separating gases, but it can separate heat only when the doors aren’t used often.

Wow interesting Setups! Thx for all the tips!
The Water Lock looks promising. I was wondering tho if the ittigation temp really matters that much. I read that if i use insolated pipes the temparature of the Irrigation water doesent matter at all. Is that still true? Because for sleet wheat  it pretty difficult to cool water down without freezing it.

Also i was thinking: Wouldnt the perfect airlock be the Tubes? Make a completely seald off room, cool it and have the only entrance be a tube Station. Ingame it says the building doesent produce heat (like for example batteries)

Peppers are much easier than sleet wheat since you can reach their target temperature with their own pwater supply without it changing state. I\ve done several designs, and it never ever seems to matter how i treat the atmosphere around the pepper plants as long as i feed their hydroponic tiles with ca 40C+ Pwater. There's a few ways to achieve this, but just hooking up an aquatuner to a cooling loop with temperature detector and shutoff seems to be the easiest to ensure the proper flow (I like to dump heat into my pwater tanks so it's always a bit too hot to use straight away).
The significantly higher thermal capacity of the water entering the tiles simply override anything else the gas around the plant can do (barring extreme cases, of course)

As a side note, Sleet Wheet is a slightly different story, but also uses fluid temperature to override the atmosphere. Feed their hydroponic tiles with water in the range of 0-14C using insulated abyssalite pipes. Have a row of metal tiles (gold works fine) in contact underneath them and run a radiant liquid pipe through that with -20C petroleum.
This way, the water will never freeze as it's in insulated abyssalite piping, and the hydroponic tiles will get cooled down to sleet wheat temperature by the sub-zero metal tiles underneath.

In my last base (no screenshots, sorry) I actually had my pepper farm right above my sleet wheat farm and had their temperature differences cancel each other out to make a neutral zone for the farmers, just like how Neotuck did in his post above.

3 hours ago, grossbeer said:

Wow interesting Setups! Thx for all the tips!
The Water Lock looks promising. I was wondering tho if the ittigation temp really matters that much. I read that if i use insolated pipes the temparature of the Irrigation water doesent matter at all. Is that still true? Because for sleet wheat  it pretty difficult to cool water down without freezing it.

Also i was thinking: Wouldnt the perfect airlock be the Tubes? Make a completely seald off room, cool it and have the only entrance be a tube Station. Ingame it says the building doesent produce heat (like for example batteries)

Tubes are great lol. But i don't think they are very practical in my exp cuz of big power bill.

I'm not completely sure, but i think plants' body temperature gets affected by water used on them. My observation was that insulation pipes didn't help prevent temperature drop in a super hot pepper farm for me

5 minutes ago, goatt said:

I'm not completely sure, but i think plants' body temperature gets affected by water used on them. My observation was that insulation pipes didn't help prevent temperature drop in a super hot pepper farm for me

It's a side effect of the Hydroponic Tiles being made from Raw Metals.  They have an internal storage, that the plant takes from over time.  The liquid that is held in that storage is constantly interacting with the Hydroponic Tile, and does so relatively rapidly due to the general Conductivity of Metals.  The Hydroponic Tile then interacts with everything it is touching -- the atmosphere around it, any other Tiles directly above or below it, and the plant that is in it.  Not to mention any Tempshift Plates you might have in the area for temperature stabilization purposes.  It doesn't take long for liquids that are too hot to start causing problems.

22 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

It's a side effect of the Hydroponic Tiles being made from Raw Metals.  They have an internal storage, that the plant takes from over time.  The liquid that is held in that storage is constantly interacting with the Hydroponic Tile, and does so relatively rapidly due to the general Conductivity of Metals.  The Hydroponic Tile then interacts with everything it is touching -- the atmosphere around it, any other Tiles directly above or below it, and the plant that is in it.  Not to mention any Tempshift Plates you might have in the area for temperature stabilization purposes.  It doesn't take long for liquids that are too hot to start causing problems.

Thx, that's what I thought.

Archived