Oxygen from Morbs (new design!)

I recently discovered you can sterilize any gas or liquids by placing their storage in a chlorine filled room.  

With this new ability I revised my old Morb to breathable oxygen build and created this:

1.thumb.png.4fa7c3ec1fd3983def1dd74f623099b7.png

The design is simple Morbs produce polluted oxygen with slimelung germs

the PO2 passes though deodorizers supplied by a sweeper to turn the gas into oxygen 

2.thumb.png.7476860dba03ccd29cd3546ee297ba04.png

The oxygen gets pumped into one of the gas storage tanks sealed in a chlorine room that kills any remaining slimelung germs

The other tank pumps clean germ free O2 to the coloney

3.thumb.png.028b9acbab6f78e4ee44c5dfab96f3af.png

The automation is setup so during half the cycle one tank gets filled while the other is emptied 

10 minutes ago, BadlyBurned said:

God I really hope that modern science in the real world is more complicated than in this game. My tap water has a funny smell.

As a plumber in real life I can confirm modern plumbing is more complicated

Unfortunately what the IPC considers "potable" water can still contain small amounts of lead and other dissolved solids

I suggest filtering your tap water to remove that funny smell

To test this design I placed a germ sensor on the output pipe leading to the colony

if just one germ gets though the door will open and drop the gold

I have been running it nonstop for 50 cycles and the gold still hasn't moved :D

20180829232914_1.thumb.jpg.5a8437318320db3bbe03983731fd0897.jpg

1 hour ago, hostagesaverfuz said:

i believe the first block of oxygen right out of the gas tank may contain germs, wonder how the germs in that block died?

they do but it's usually under 100 germ count and they do die in oxygen just slowly, the count reaches 0 by the time it reaches the sensor

25 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Possibly the germ went through the sensor so the door open closed too fast for the gold to drop? But the principle is sound and I think its a great idea

no, this was in debug mode and one time I forgot to resupply the sand causing PO2 to leak into the tanks, this managed to carry germs past the germ sensor and the gold dropped 

as long as the deodorizers are working properly germs always died off long before reaching the colony

16 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

no, this was in debug mode and one time I forgot to resupply the sand causing PO2 to leak into the tanks, this managed to carry germs past the germ sensor and the gold dropped 

Put an edge detector on the sensor to make sure.

Build it like this. The filter output enters standby for filter set amount of time when there's any change in the sensor input no matter how short. Even works flawlessly at ultra speed.

image.thumb.png.d63e52ff53657b4947e8f2c3a56344ee.png

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Put an edge detector on the sensor to make sure.

Build it like this. The filter output enters standby for filter set amount of time when there's any change in the sensor input no matter how short. Even works flawlessly at ultra speed.

image.thumb.png.d63e52ff53657b4947e8f2c3a56344ee.png

Not sure I get this one. Looks like the output signal will be always be true since the xor gate is generating a true signal either way.

24 minutes ago, Djoums said:

Not sure I get this one. Looks like the output signal will be always be true since the xor gate is generating a true signal either way.

Try it ;)

If the sensor input changes either way, from true to false or from false to true doesn't matter. And even if that change is less than 0.1s from for example a dupe with Athletics 20 or more running over a weight plate. The output of the XOR will for 0.1s be false which is enough time for the filter gate to pick it up.

I should probably mention there's a positive edge detector variant as well. Replace the XOR with an AND, and the FILTER with a BUFFER, and it will detect any change on the sensor that goes from false to true but not the reverse.

image.thumb.png.a394a2bf838b94130896dbd83b6a963a.png

Combine the two and you have a toggle switch that change state every time the input is TRUE. The basic building block of an asynchronous bit counter.

image.thumb.png.ed7a3664dc71b3380cdc5724a034f487.png

1 hour ago, BlueLance said:

They work the same way compactors do, so unlikely that its a bug, but the devs will hammer it out if it is.

Except the stuff compactors store gets disinfected if put in chlorine enviroment. Liquids and gasses don`t behave that way when surrounded by chlorine.

26 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Except the stuff compactors store gets disinfected if put in chlorine enviroment. Liquids and gasses don`t behave that way when surrounded by chlorine.

It's been true for all other storage buildings so far so it's logical to assume gas/liquid storages will behave the same.

And in fact you are incorrect. Put chlorine gas tile in a room with infected polluted oxygen and you can see the germs die off much much faster than a control without a tile of chlorine gas.

I thought the latest update would break this build but it still seems to work

20180830211620_1.thumb.jpg.d10da5b8eaf3b2be228600475edcacba.jpg

Just to make sure I cleared out the chlorine in one tank to see if it made a difference, and it DID!

slimelung started building up in the left tank while it died off in the right tank :D

20180830212722_1.thumb.jpg.e97326665c601ee0709cf68c0db7142f.jpg

4.thumb.png.914b9e7f6151b872fa56b713d4253d1a.png5.thumb.png.5a5d8f1e72644e319e64996790136d02.png

Would be great if it still works, perhaps with then updated tank graphics - Showing some connection to the outside of the tank :) Didnt they write in the patch notes they wanted to seal the tanks of to the outside ? Havent used tanks yet myself...Thanks for sharing your work, its good inspirations.

7 minutes ago, babba said:

Would be great if it still works, perhaps with then updated tank graphics - Showing some connection to the outside of the tank :) Didnt they write in the patch notes they wanted to seal the tanks of to the outside ? Havent used tanks yet myself...Thanks for sharing your work, its good inspirations.

that's what I thought but it seems they did't elaborate on the update notes as germs still die off in chlorine 

Archived