Took me 717 Cycles to get my first Drop of Petroleum + Plastic & Steel

I am fairly new to Oxygen Not Included, started playing the game in May. Been playing it like a crazy men ever since and sucking up all the content I can find and after getting to 500 Cycles last world until I restarted because of the new update, I really wanted to get to late game this time (everything automated & smart, space base, all critters etc).

So I decided screw real life and everything, I am playing at least two hours of this beautiful game every day so I can achieve my goals until the new update probably forces me to restart again. So the grind has been on, started my world the day the update came out, am now closing in on 1000 cycles and have been putting out daily episodes every since. 

In my current "season" I wanted to set up a smart water system with logic for shortages, temperatures and so on (spoiler: I did it, it is awesome but took forever).

Because of that I only got to playing with oil at 700+ cycles in which is kinda crazy. World is going just fine currently and thanks to this amazing forum I even know how to deal with my lime shortage so I can deal with space beating the top of my map down soon. 

Anyways, I was just curious if I anyone got some stories about getting super late into a tech and how it impacted their game. For me the only annoying thing was not having plastic made creating vacuums kinda hard. I would definitely advise getting a crappy plastic production going just for high pressure vents. 

I know I cannot speak English and watching my videos is probably a pain in the ass but I would love some feedback on some of the stuff I am doing late game so if anyone has some spare time, let me know what you think! :p

Shameless plug of my latest let's play episode below (the one in which I finally get petroleum, plastic & steel going) in which I build a smart metal refinery design which keeps cycling oil until it gets to hot - design at 30:20 in action.

2 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

So I decided screw real life and everything, I am playing at least two hours of this beautiful game every day so I can achieve my goals until the new update probably forces me to restart again. So the grind has been on, started my world the day the update came out, am now closing in on 1000 cycles and have been putting out daily episodes every since. 

Anyways, I was just curious if I anyone got some stories about getting super late into a tech and how it impacted their game. For me the only annoying thing was not having plastic made creating vacuums kinda hard. I would definitely advise getting a crappy plastic production going just for high pressure vents. 

I know I cannot speak English and watching my videos is probably a pain in the ass but I would love some feedback on some of the stuff I am doing late game so if anyone has some spare time, let me know what you think! :p

Welcome to the insanity and joy that is ONI.  Enjoy binging.  I do recommend you slow down after a bit to avoid burnout so it remains fun, but it doesn't seem like you're there yet. :)

Late tech is typically described as Oil refinement/petro power, Steel for bunkers, and fully or near complete sustainment for your dupes, which typically involves raiding most of your geysers/vents.  Additionally you'd invest in Polluted water boilers or some other heat deletion techniques to control base temperatures completely.

Super Late Tech basically involves oil boilers these days.

Once you finally get more familiar with the game, you'll find you can raid the oil biome by cycle 50-75.  You won't have everything built before cycle 100, but it's not hard to get the process started.  For plastic, you want to get a ranch or two of the glossy dreckos up, it's a lot easier than the plastic production via petroleum.

Enjoy your time in the asteroid!

6 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Welcome to the insanity and joy that is ONI.  Enjoy binging.  I do recommend you slow down after a bit to avoid burnout so it remains fun, but it doesn't seem like you're there yet. :)

Late tech is typically described as Oil refinement/petro power, Steel for bunkers, and fully or near complete sustainment for your dupes, which typically involves raiding most of your geysers/vents.  Additionally you'd invest in Polluted water boilers or some other heat deletion techniques to control base temperatures completely.

Super Late Tech basically involves oil boilers these days.

Once you finally get more familiar with the game, you'll find you can raid the oil biome by cycle 50-75.  You won't have everything built before cycle 100, but it's not hard to get the process started.  For plastic, you want to get a ranch or two of the glossy dreckos up, it's a lot easier than the plastic production via petroleum.

Enjoy your time in the asteroid!

Thank you for your kind words! :D

I went for oil way earlier last time, I just got stuck this time with playing around with my water system and SPOM and some other stuff. Time passes real quick if you are playing permanently in super speed. Space base and oil boiler design is on my list of stuff I want to work on soon. There is just so much to do still, it is amazing. 

I don't think I could ever burn out of this game. I love logic/automation in games (Minecraft, Factorio etc.) and usually that keeps me entertained forever. 

18 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

I don't think I could ever burn out of this game. I love logic/automation in games (Minecraft, Factorio etc.) and usually that keeps me entertained forever. 

Same here. I went slow this time in EU and had oil only around cycle 500 as well, and a fully self-sustainable colony only at around cycle 2000. About 1200...1500 of these cycles are leaving it running overnight though.

Yeah, I've been working on a water system as well that has slowed down my development.  I decided to try a game without a water sieve or carbon skimmer.  Setting up an efficient boiler has been... tricky.  Everything works, but.. it still needs work.  Anyway, I'm closing in on cycle 100 and haven't really left the starting biome yet.

5 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Yeah, I've been working on a water system as well that has slowed down my development.  I decided to try a game without a water sieve or carbon skimmer.  Setting up an efficient boiler has been... tricky.  Everything works, but.. it still needs work.  Anyway, I'm closing in on cycle 100 and haven't really left the starting biome yet.

No carbon skimmer should be whatever but no sieve is interesting. I do have a cool slush geyser on my map and use it for cooling in some locations. Once it gets too hot, I sieve it. At that point, I might as well boil it but thanks to unlimited regolith it is probably better to get sand of your water sieves then building a boiler!? 

I should build a polluted water boiler though, seems like a fun project! 

1 minute ago, Mullematsch said:

No carbon skimmer should be whatever but no sieve is interesting. I do have a cool slush geyser on my map and use it for cooling in some locations. Once it gets too hot, I sieve it. At that point, I might as well boil it but thanks to unlimited regolith it is probably better to get sand of your water sieves then building a boiler!? 

I should build a polluted water boiler though, seems like a fun project! 

Yeah, I have a couple of slush geysers on this map.  Wanted to see if I could manage all my clean water using boiler systems.  But I wanted to be efficient about it -- use as much of my 'waste' heat as possible to boil the water.  That's where it gets tricky.    PW off-gassing into PO2 and gumming up the works, or components melting down because of too much heat (or too early of a phase change).. 

Could use oil/petro heat as a test for the process and find the best approach.  Hrm, now you've got me thinking... :)  I've been debating on doing a magma -> oil breach and just get a ton of really hot NG to abuse.  This could be a fun way to test the cooling column and make it useful at the same time.  No slush geysers for me that I know of yet, but still, even my lavatory water could be used for the opening attempt.

2 hours ago, blash365 said:

Am i the only one appalled by the use of "fairly new" and "cycle 700" in the same sentance?

Apparently?  I find no issue with that statement when they're still working out some of the more intricate build techniques and it's just taking them a long time.  As a Don't Starve reference, it's equivalent to me to 'fairly new' and 'just got to the ruins and dying a lot'.  Just because you can get to the ruins with fried green mushrooms, traps, a backpack and a leather helmet doesn't mean it's the best approach.  It's just perspective.

3 hours ago, blash365 said:

Am i the only one appalled by the use of "fairly new" and "cycle 700" in the same sentance?

I definitely have more spare time the most people so even though I only have the game since ~two months, I probably played it more then some people in a year. 

Just checked and I played 170h in the last two months so not a total noob anymore. :) 

52 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Apparently?  I find no issue with that statement when they're still working out some of the more intricate build techniques and it's just taking them a long time.  As a Don't Starve reference, it's equivalent to me to 'fairly new' and 'just got to the ruins and dying a lot'.  Just because you can get to the ruins with fried green mushrooms, traps, a backpack and a leather helmet doesn't mean it's the best approach.  It's just perspective.

Was referring to the time frame since I own the game not my skill level. I would say I am quite decent at the game at this point, except advanced boiler designs and steam turbine stuff, I basically know how to do everything. 

7 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

Was referring to the time frame since I own the game not my skill level. I would say I am quite decent at the game at this point, except advanced boiler designs and steam turbine stuff, I basically know how to do everything. 

My apologies, my comment at that point wasn't aimed in any way at you.   Had become more of a generic concept on the conversation.

17 minutes ago, blash365 said:

And there i was trying to make a joke.

I missed that, sorry.

21 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

For plastic, you want to get a ranch or two of the glossy dreckos up, it's a lot easier than the plastic production via petroleum.

This!   I try to start a mealwood drecko ranch fairly early to get a couple glossy dreckos going just to make high pressure vents!  They make more than enough plastic for me for all the high pressure vents I need.  Last game I didn't even set up a plastic refinery, I had plenty from my glossy drecko ranch.

6 hours ago, WanderingKid said:
9 hours ago, blash365 said:

Apparently? 

I’m appalled too! :) I wasn’t able to get to 700 cycles until many, many months of playing. But in all honesty, that’s really great @Mullematsch. :)

I have been finding more and more though that cycles doesn’t mean anything. Some people preogress quickly, other more slowly. I myself usually get distracted by shiny Burried Objects and just play the game rather than make everything super efficient and automatic. I love the fact that ONI accommodates so many different play styles.

2 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

I’m appalled too! :) I wasn’t able to get to 700 cycles until many, many months of playing. But in all honesty, that’s really great @Mullematsch. :)

I have been finding more and more though that cycles doesn’t mean anything. Some people preogress quickly, other more slowly. I myself usually get distracted by shiny Burried Objects and just play the game rather than make everything super efficient and automatic. I love the fact that ONI accommodates so many different play styles.

One of the best ways to learn anything is to watch people who are good at what they are doing. I consumed every Oxygen Not Included let's play I could get my hands on, so I would say that really helped to kinda skip the early noob phase. I also probably read every thread on this forum and the reddit since I started playing this game. Got a lot of good tips of that as well. I am just way too addicted to be honest :D

Definitely agree, the difference in difficulty of trying to survive with eight duplicants or currently I am doing 16 is quite big as well. 

Archived