How can I mass-produce polluted water?

For reasons, I need to feed my 35 dupes on nothing but pepper bread forever. This will require:

2.91kg/s clean water,
1.02 polluted water,
729g/s dirt, and
291g/s phosphorus.

Water, polluted water and phos I can do, but that much dirt means running 3.645 water sieves non-stop, which requires a continual supply of 18.225kg/s polluted water. I'll get it all back as clean water, but even so, my current base doesn't produce nearly that much pollution. Even with lavs, showers, sinks, a decent slush geyser, and all the other polluted water producers, I think we'd have trouble breaking 8 kg/s by conventional methods.

From what I understand, the ol' vent-under-tile-in-polluted-water trick doesn't work anymore. So, how can I efficiently pollute water?

You can get tremendous amounts for polluted water using the algal terrariums, though I believe the setup requires a fair bit of Dupe labour. Also you'll have to create the algal-slime-pO2-morb production chain as well - if you're going for a sustainable build

My primary Polluted Water source (and energy source) are Natural Gas Generator. I use unconditional ~ 6500g/s of Natural Gas to produce water as by-product (on my map is only one steam vent) which generates ~5000g/s Polluted Water.

5 minutes ago, erso said:

My primary Polluted Water source (and energy source) are Natural Gas Generator. I use unconditional ~ 6500g/s of Natural Gas to produce water as by-product (on my map is only one steam vent) which generates ~5000g/s Polluted Water.

5k/s polluted water? are you saying you have over 72 natural gas generators running non stop?  da fug you need all that power and were do you get the gas?

8 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

5k/s polluted water? are you saying you have over 72 natural gas generators running non stop?  da fug you need all that power and were do you get the gas?

Yes, I have plenty of generators. Energy is the by-product here. I am more interested in this as a source of water. My Natural Gas source is the combination of 3 oil wells and 2 volcanoes (and magma).

3 minutes ago, erso said:

Yes, I have plenty of generators. Energy is the by-product here. I am more interested in this as a source of water. My Natural Gas source is the combination of 3 oil wells and 2 volcanoes (and magma).

So if I'm understanding you right you are turning 3kg/s water into 5kg/s polluted water?  give or take?

Just now, Neotuck said:

So if I'm understanding you right you are turning 3kg/s water into 5kg/s polluted water?  give or take?

Not quite .. I transform Crude Oil to Natural Gas to Polluted Water with a quota of 4g Crude Oil = 3g Polluted Water (and 1g Carbon Dioxide).

7 hours ago, erso said:

Not quite .. I transform Crude Oil to Natural Gas to Polluted Water with a quota of 4g Crude Oil = 3g Polluted Water (and 1g Carbon Dioxide).

I think he meant that getting the oil out of those wells consumes fresh water.

7 hours ago, erso said:

if you have a chance would love to see this build

If you swap to barbeque then you dont need that mass of dirt & pW. Easy to setup temporary hatches & later slicksters from ngg carbon. So an oil gas system would solve your issues If its not about being vegetarian.

@QuQuasar If you stop feeding your slicksters, every gram of Co2 you produce lets you make 3.3333 g of polluted water. We also know that feeding an oil reservoir 1000 g/s of water gives you 3333.333 g/s of oil and some natgas. If we refined the oil in an oil refinery we get 1666.666 g/s of that as petroleum and 30 g/s of natgas.

That runs a petroleum generator for 83% uptime and gives us 416.66667 g/s Co2 and 625 g/s polluted water.

The 30 g/s of natgas is 1/3rd of a natgas generator and gives 22.5 g/s polluted water and 7.5 g/s Co2.

So we have:

• 416.66667 + 7.5 = 424.16667 Co2
  • 625 + 22.5 = 647.5 g/s polluted water.

424.16667 * 3.33333 = 1413.88889 g/s polluted water + 647.5 = 2061.899998 g/s polluted water. So roughly 2 kg/s of polluted water per oil reservoir. Not bad for the amount of water that was put in but to meet your huge polluted water requirement that covers only 6 kg/s even if you got lucky with 3 of them. It looks like an oil boiler is what you need to get that much polluted water.

If you boiled all of the oil coming out of the oil reservoir, you would get 3333.333 g/s of natural gas, which factoring in Co2 lets you produce 1.5833333 times as much polluted water as the gas you burned: 5277.77777 g/s.

At 59 gas generators needed, it's going to be a big powerplant...

sources Polluted Water:

- Petroleum Generator 1250g/s

- Carbon Skimmer 1000g/s

- Algae Distiller 400g/s

- Algae Terrarium 290.33g/s

- Natural Gas Generator 67.5g/s

- Lavatory 11.7kg per use

- Shower 29kg per use

and/or dig the map for a Slush Geyser

2 hours ago, Sevio said:

At 59 gas generators needed, it's going to be a big powerplant...

I'm planning & building one for 112 right now in my save. But this is roughly what I was going for, the other thing is.. If you forget the Sleet Wheat & dirt requirement you can feed off your colony with slickster barbeque, they don't fight back when attacked and also they die under 30C so they can be frozen in a butchery.

Archived