Glossy Drecko consumption rate

I'm trying to optimise how many Bristle Blossoms I can grow to sustain my Glossy Drecko population, however, I can't find any figures to how much they require per cycle.

ideally, I like to find out how many BB's I can set to enable auto harvest, so that my dupes may eat the surplus, leaving the rest with auto-harvest disabled to feed the Glossy's.

Thanks.

1. I think dreckos don't eat plants that are harvest-ready, so you can enable autoharvest on all of them.
  2. Anywhere from 0 to 3 plants per glossy and 0-2 for drecko works. Note that even if they don't have anything to eat, saving-loading resets their starving timer to 10 cycles. Also, eating any amount resets their starving timer to 10 cycles. If you have a big colony and save-load often, you can basically stuff them in a hydrogen corner and lock them up, as long as they have enough room not to overcrowd(water lock/island solves this issue)

51 minutes ago, martosss said:
  1. I think dreckos don't eat plants that are harvest-ready, so you can enable autoharvest on all of them.
  2. Anywhere from 0 to 3 plants per glossy and 0-2 for drecko works. Note that even if they don't have anything to eat, saving-loading resets their starving timer to 10 cycles. Also, eating any amount resets their starving timer to 10 cycles. If you have a big colony and save-load often, you can basically stuff them in a hydrogen corner and lock them up, as long as they have enough room not to overcrowd(water lock/island solves this issue)

1) They do.  They may have a preference against it (that I haven't seen, but it's possible) but my mealwood fed dreckos will eat a 100% plant.  I have found that they need a reload occasionally to make sure they eat at all, however.

52 minutes ago, martosss said:

But starving critters are glum, so poor meat/eggs.

47 minutes ago, Carnis said:

But starving critters are glum, so poor meat/eggs.

Ah, OK, fair point, Happiness -10 for Starving critters, I think that was changed somewhere along the updates.

However, starving dreckos still grow plastic/fiber, also their meat doesn't change in any way?

Given the OP wants glossy dreckos, he's farming for Plastic, so that solution should work - plastic dreckos don't die, they lay 1 egg / lifetime => enough for population to survive => free plastic(+ some meat every 100 cycles).

Also, Plastic Dreckos eat 3kg/ cycle, that means 3 plants. Normal Dreckos eat 2kg => 2 plants.

If you feed glossy drekos bristle berries, won't that make them tend to lay non glossy eggs?  Also you don't want to try to auto harvest some plants in a room with drekos since there is a good chance the dreko will eat the harvest ready one instead of a lesser grown one, and AFAIK, they get the same calories either way.

5 minutes ago, psusi said:

If you feed glossy drekos bristle berries, won't that make them tend to lay non glossy eggs?  Also you don't want to try to auto harvest some plants in a room with drekos since there is a good chance the dreko will eat the harvest ready one instead of a lesser grown one, and AFAIK, they get the same calories either way.

The link to the Oni Biology thread is 2 lines above your post  ... For plastic Dreckos it says 35% vs 65% drecko vs glossy  egg, and mealwood changes that towards glossy with 0.025%/meal, so ... if we trust the Biology thread - no, it would stay at 65% in case they eat BB.

10 minutes ago, martosss said:

The link to the Oni Biology thread is 2 lines above your post  ... For plastic Dreckos it says 35% vs 65% drecko vs glossy  egg, and mealwood changes that towards glossy with 0.025%/meal, so ... if we trust the Biology thread - no, it would stay at 65% in case they eat BB.

Ohh, so the minimum chance is 65%?  So eating mealwood will raise it, but BB won't lower it any less than that.  And as long as you get them to lay multiple eggs in their lifetime, you are sure to get enough glossy to maintain population I guess.

1 minute ago, psusi said:

Ohh, so the minimum chance is 65%?  So eating mealwood will raise it, but BB won't lower it any less than that.  And as long as you get them to lay multiple eggs in their lifetime, you are sure to get enough glossy to maintain population I guess.

Yes, you can populate multiple ranches quite fast if you keep the main population groomed and fed. Or get a seasoned rancher and stuff them all in 1 big open ranch with a water lock.

If you only care about plastic from the dreckos you can overcrowd the farm. It will cause them to be glum and eat less as a result so you can sustain more of them. The scale growth is unaffected by their happiness. You`ll just need another room  with happy dreckos for extra eggs.

Archived