Heat transfert ?

You might want to remove the two tempshift plates on the far right and the far left. They are acting on the insulated tiles and may block some of your cooling.

Other than that... I think the mass ? You are cooling the steam and oxygène but the geyser itself can't be cooled and is at 99°C. Plus the water represents 400t compared to your room that contains 800kg of cooled hydrogen.

The mass is a great aspect in cooling. Liquid should be cooled with liquid and gas with gas. Or with equal gas mass and liquid mass.

59 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

The mass is a great aspect in cooling. Liquid should be cooled with liquid and gas with gas. Or with equal gas mass and liquid mass.

Or cool gas with liquids  - gas cools MUCH FASTER, since liquids have high mass and gas is 1kg in a 25kg pipe.

image.thumb.png.6e0e565bb9e736563e64f898cfd1acbe.png

Here's a quick example - a big pond of cold polluted water from the ice biome cooling my electrolyzer air. Input is 40-45°, output depends almost only on the temperature of the water. Note that my pipes in this case are far too long. I can probably have shorter pipes with the same effect.

In fact, you should use the mass in your advantage - cool gas with liquids since gas mass <<< liquid mass and cool liquids with aqua tuners, since they are reliable - 14° less temperature guaranteed. You could also loop pipes in that same water, but ... the combination might be a bad idea if the water actually heats.

Just now, martosss said:

Or cool gas with liquids  - gas cools MUCH FASTER, since liquids have high mass and gas is 1kg in a 25kg pipe.

Yes of course. I should have been more cautious about that. The opposite sucks though. Cooling liquids with gas takes a lot of time if you want to cool a large pool of water due to difference of mass.

basically, you have a heat source on the bottom, and a cooler on the top. The hot has a very high mass. 

It will change more when you use some of that water or the geyser becomes active again.

Remember that the rate at which your cooler consumes heat is almost constant because you have a fixed number of wheeze worts. So, in heat flux:

Q* = (m*)c(t2 - t1) --> heat flux Q* is constant and mass is mostly unchanging so the delta t must also be constant

22 hours ago, Papartichaud said:

Temperature between 2 tiles has been stuck with a difference of 20° C or 48¨F for 30 cycles

How is that possible ?

There are three factors in your setup that are responsible for the large difference. I'll give you some tips on how to make it smaller but you should also know that what you have works just as well as a more "equalized" build.

Your tempshift plates are made of obsidian, which is not very conductive. Try using a refined metal like gold or if you have access to the oil biome, diamond tempshift plates are the best you can get. If the insulated tiles are made of abyssalite, there is no harm in having tempshift plates next to the walls, otherwise they should be removed.

The gas in that geyser room is only 300 g pressure. Conductivity between gases is less when the pressure is lower than 1500 g. Increase pressure to increase heat flow.

Replace the oxygen with something more conductive to get a faster heat flow. Hydrogen for example, or you could even build some metal tile rods sticking down into the pool of water to conduct heat much faster.

That said.... As long as the wheezeworts have not reached -60 C, there's no problem at all with your setup. The thing with heat is that it flows faster the larger the difference in temperature. So when the large difference in temperature has reached equilibrium the wheezeworts are still providing the maximum amount of cooling that they can to your geyser.

2 minutes ago, Sevio said:

There are three problems with your setup that are responsible for the large difference.

Your tempshift plates are made of obsidian, which is not very conductive. Try using a refined metal like gold or if you have access to the oil biome, diamond tempshift plates are the best you can get. If the insulated tiles are made of abyssalite, there is no harm in having tempshift plates next to the walls, otherwise they should be removed.

The gas in that geyser room is only 300 g pressure. Conductivity between gases is less when the pressure is lower than 1500 g. Increase pressure to increase heat flow.

Replace the oxygen with something more conductive to get a faster heat flow. Hydrogen for example, or you could even build some metal tile rods sticking down into the pool of water to conduct heat much faster.

That said.... As long as the wheezeworts have not reached -60 C, there's no problem at all with your setup. It may have a large difference in temperature when it's in equilibrium but the wheezeworts are still providing the maximum amount of cooling that they can to your geyser.

Funny that you say that because i did everything you just said yesterday :p And after that my geyser froze, i had to put my wheezeworts on automated doors to prevent that. 

Nevertheless, obsidian is one of the only conductive mineral, and since i don't like to use my diamond to cool my geysers, i had to refine some gold and obsidian was doing a pretty good job to avoid the geyser to be overpressured by steam.

I had same issue today. I was unable to cool the geyser. The solution is to remove the tempshift tiles behind or near the geyser. It has fixed temp of 99C and they interact for some reason. Mine went from 95 to 70 top temp in the room with no other changes.

22 hours ago, Papartichaud said:

Hmm yeah i've just check the materials, seems like the french translation is doing werid things. When you look at the obsidian, it says : thermally reactive, but the properties doesn't show the same things, my bad !

It's not the translation. :) Thermally reactive shows up in English as well and it means that the material has a low heat capacity and doesn't take much energy to heat up or cool down.

Archived