Sanity was an interesting idea, but it has to go.

First I would like to thank the Devs for updating the game. It's the thought that counts. Sanity is rather interesting and made it slightly more realistic but it made the game a lot less fun. Instead of modifying a major gameplay aspect, the game is still starved of real content. Although much less fun, the Devs need to make the grind of adding more content similar to what we have. More monsters, biomes, tools, weapons, traps, resource nodes, maybe even small "dungeons". Some examples would be obsidian, working similar to flint but stronger; fruit trees that drop fruit; a desert biome with cacti or buzzards; iron ore for making some things like science machines or a certain type of tool, or possibly weapons.

As far as I can tell I permanently screwed up the poll so post whether you support:

[*]Staying Insane

[*]Keeping Sanity but getting more updates similar to what I suggested.

[*]Getting rid of Insanity.

Edited by Camwin
I messed up the poll because I'm a noob.

I half-agree with you. I LOVE sanity, but the game could definitely due with the updating of some original features, like you said. Just some interesting new things to do would be great. Of course, the game is still in beta, and they'll be adding stuff six months after it releases, so...New biomes would be glorious though!

Ok. Sanity is alright but I think they chose a poor point to add this feature. As a Developer myself I think things like this are for when you have a mostly completed game.

Edited by Camwin
Spelling

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you a bit there. A lot of the basic components of the game feel a little half-baked. Of course, what the hell do I know? lol

Nonetheless, they are adding tons of features, and I'm sure they know what they're doing. I can't complain :p

The game is in beta, not full release. Everything is trial and error at this point. Furthermore, the sanity system is precisely that - a system. Video games are built upon systems. They are entirely systems and interfacing with those systems.So, that said, the suggestion to rip out a new system they just put in is drastic and cruel to the efforts of the developers have put in thus far. This is the first pass (technically the second since some heavy tuning came in a follow-up patch to the bigger one).What helps is to give ideas on how to improve the system, not demand its removal.

Wow every beta I've been in has people like this. The game isn't even out officially yet they've already said that they will devote 6 months after the game is released officially to adding updates and all. Also I'm pretty sure once the game is out the modding community will go crazy and keep the game going for a while so chill for now.

I agree that "Sanity" does not actually hit the mark. I posted on that in general discussion forum, and got quite a lot of feedback and even a bit of attention from Klei dude ;) So, probably, they are aware that its not everybody who likes the "Sanity" meter. My actual points are that it (a) does not "add something to the game" but CHANGES the very idea of it. With "sanity" as it is, it is no longer a game of survival in a not-so-friendly and somewhat crazy world. It is now a game of fighting main character's psychosis like a full-time job. I find it kinda annoying on the technical side, and see no real gain (no FUN) from it on the gameplay side.It is also simply unpleasant to think that I ( "my character" ) is not a generally sane person in a crazy world, but a crazy one in a "I don't know where the heck I am or is it ALL just my bad dream or hallucination?" (b) I don't really support the idea to make the game "more difficult" for the sake of difficulty. So many games developed had fallen into that trap hole. Well, yes, there are players who play for sports, so to say, for the feel of "achevement", regardless of what kind of. But still "making it hard" has to do something with the in-game goals, should be adding complexity and variety of PLAYER-TO-GAME INTERACTION; it should not be just arbitrarily introduced trouble which provides "drain for no gain"I was actually thinking that "Sanity" is about to be the replacement of "Crampus quick fix": when a player is doing crazy things, his character is getting mad. But it appeared that a person is also loosing sanity just living regular life and either needs a "chemical boost" to keep himself or is better skipping the night time altogether. Besides, killing almost-human pigs is OKAY from sanity perspective, but killing the freaky things such as spiders decreases it. And so on .. I really think the difficulty and improvement should be coming from (a) making behavior of creatures and life of whole BIOMES more sophisticated and (b) introducing more of in-game goals, justified by game logic. ... And NOT the way so many other games do: by introducing arbitrary trouble "to make it difficult" and by adding arbitrary items and stuff "to sweeten the pill". Now THIS is really boring...

Wow every beta I've been in has people like this. The game isn't even out officially yet

Have you ever heard of the term "feature freeze", dude? And, normally, a piece of software goes "beta" only AFTER its set of "features" is full and "frozen". Breaking this rule is a usual way to failure, but I am sure that this is something you have a hard time to understand, when you (all) are saying "oh its only BETA"

The game is in beta, not full release.

Software is called "beta" only after its "feature freeze". "Beta" means we are only adding content and fixing bugs, and NOT introduce major changes in game logic and mechanics. See the page 2 of discussion for extended explanation why I think "Sanity" is no good addition. If you care, of course..

Software is called "beta" only after its "feature freeze". "Beta" means we are only adding content and fixing bugs, and NOT introduce major changes in game logic and mechanics. See the page 2 of discussion for extended explanation why I think "Sanity" is no good addition. If you care, of course..

I'm not interested in a semantics argument. I'm only trying to advocate people have a particular mindset or point of view when absorbing the content of this game as well as advocating that people be more comprehensive and on target with the feedback they want to provide.

Have you ever heard of the term "feature freeze", dude? And, normally, a piece of software goes "beta" only AFTER its set of "features" is full and "frozen". Breaking this rule is a usual way to failure, but I am sure that this is something you have a hard time to understand, when you (all) are saying "oh its only BETA"

The point of a beta is to test the final product and see if it's ready to be released or do they need to take more time to add or adjust things major or minor. I've been in betas where they've had to scrap whole features or add totally new things. Not all betas are the same some will only need to make minor changes others will need to make major ones. Besides Klei at least LISTENS to its base which is more than I can say for some betas I've been.

Okay, so besides the possible "beta" misnomer that I don't particularly care about at all (as someone else said, it's a pointlessly semantic argument, so what if DS isn't technically beta? If that ticks you off, Don't Play), I totally understand why the devs would want to introduce a new meter like sanity at this point in the game: so they can have feedback about how it affects game balance, as well as being able to build on the functionality of Sanity to dovetail better with the game.Sanity is actually fun. It's never really threatened to spell Game Over for me, except in the beginning when I didn't realize that going through wormholes many times consecutively wasn't such a good idea, as well as attacking the shadow monsters without being properly equipped -- also a bad idea (thank goodness for meat effigies). But on a daily basis, it's a totally manageable meter. In the beginning I made flower garlands (finally, flowers are more useful!). Now I have a top hat and wear it at night, I make taffy from the honey I gather from my beehives, I don't abuse the wormholes. And on the occasions that I'm a bit off balance, having the world flicker and my campfire picked at by shadowy hands is pretty darn entertaining.So, to each his own, but I think it was a decent update. :)

Nah I think at first I would had of agreed with you if hey hadn't Hotfixed it. Because sanity went down way too fast and you were often doomed until you could get some simple form of Dapperness. But once they did the Hotfix, It fixed pretty much anything and if you don't play too risky the game is generally the same as it was before.

It actually is outrageously easy to stay sane as of right now. Heck, going insane is something that the player prepares for willingly, taking those nightmare essences off of rabbits as much as possible and then going back to sane when it gets dicy with food. Nothing to worry, I'm pretty sure this is already taken into account and that it will become a worrying factor in the future updates.

Nah I think at first I would had of agreed with you if hey hadn't Hotfixed it... It fixed pretty much anything and if you don't play too risky the game is generally the same as it was before.

That sums it up, actually. BEFORE the fix the "sanity" made the game all screwed up. AFTER the fix it became pretty much SAME AS IT WAS BEFORE. The logic suggests, then, that this feature lacks the point: it gives trouble being implemented the "hard" way, and doesn't change much if implemented the "soft" way. Like I said, initially I thought that it's going to be an ultimate replacement for Crampus.