Pretty Heavi Wire

5 hours ago, TOOK14 said:

I gotta ask, who actually mass refines metal post surface breach?  I just use all the free iron falling from the sky to upgrade my power grid, and fill out my automation. 

On topic, I do stick to normal hevi wire until I have run the vast majority of my conductive small wire and automation, and I'm only replacing it now due to EU update's massive emphasis on maxing out decor. 

I would like to see conductive hevi wire buffed, as it's really not worth using under any circumstance until you have so much refined meta there's no reason not to.

That's a very good question. I managed to uncover a gold volcano and am using all the refined metal from that. Combined with surface meteors that means tons of refined metal, making the rock granulator and metal refinery a very big heat generator that potentially wastes material(in case of the rock granulator).

However, in the early game until you don't have volcano/surface, the refinery/granulator are useful to make some smart batteries/logic gates/wires.

Before EU, I ran heavy watt for everything outside main base.  I am now rethinking it and will move to HWW for generators and more PT and circuits with conductive to most consumers outside main base.  Pretty wires are still to ugly.  Of course, my dups are 38/20 morale so this is more personal challenge than required.  I wish they did not always release things and then nerfed them to useless, like lvl 6 from 24 to 20 morale etc

Early game I try to get just enough out of the granulator for 1 smart battery and an automation wire for the 3 gens I have at the time (1 coal, 2 hydrogen).  After that I hook up a refinery to my fresh water to get key systems like atmo suits up and running, then it's all surface iron.

I set up a refinery cooled by an AETN for any refining I need after that, such as steel.

16 hours ago, TOOK14 said:

I gotta ask, who actually mass refines metal post surface breach?

There`s little reason to do that. But some people wait really long before breaching the surface (at least untill they feel ready for it). They need to refine metal along the way.

Tungsten for magma / molten substances?

And steel, which is also seen as a refined metal, not an alloy, in game. - You can make the "pretty heavi wire" from steel.

plugging the refinery to a turbine can let you regain some of the energy used refining.

plenty of reason to refine metals beyond of what the surface / volcanos offer :D

On 7/29/2018 at 5:37 PM, Nativel said:

I do remember time when it was 40kW, but devs set it up to 20kW might be accidentally, because many times I see some little upgrade in the game or bug fix, and at the same time downgrade on some fixes or upgrades. So I do remember it was not only decor it was 40kW power.

This is incorrect, conductive heaviwire has always been 20 kW.  I know because I posted a similar thread to this in the suggestions forum on the exact day that conductive heaviwire was released.  It is true that for quite a long time you could transfer more than 20 kW on a normal wire before transformers were fixed to count as consumers, but that's a completely separate issue.

8 hours ago, trukogre said:

This is incorrect, conductive heaviwire has always been 20 kW.  I know because I posted a similar thread to this in the suggestions forum on the exact day that conductive heaviwire was released.  It is true that for quite a long time you could transfer more than 20 kW on a normal wire before transformers were fixed to count as consumers, but that's a completely separate issue.

You can still transfer more than 20kW on a normal wire, since BATTERIES still don't count as consumers. ;) But hey, those are the rules of the game, they were very intentionally made that way, so we're only using what we have to the best of our abilities.

Archived