Differentiate between eggs of old critters and other eggs

Why?

Eggs of old critters should be left to hatch, because they ensure that the species survives and continues. On the other hand, all other eggs that a critter lays in its lifetime can be safely eaten.

2121913.jpeg

You might consider the same idea for incubators - choose which egg exactly to hatch(e.g. hatch high% eggs first, because they hatch faster).

But maybe I want to exterminate the critters and eat all their eggs? You can't know what the player intends to do with the eggs. If it's an egg - it's an egg like all the others. You can cook it, you can crush it for lime, you can hatch it - the game lets you decide.

11 hours ago, Tobruk said:

Why?

Eggs of old critters should be left to hatch, because they ensure that the species survives and continues. On the other hand, all other eggs that a critter lays in its lifetime can be safely eaten.

2121913.jpeg

8 hours ago, martosss said:

You might consider the same idea for incubators - choose which egg exactly to hatch(e.g. hatch high% eggs first, because they hatch faster).

There must be for sure an option, to automate that stuff. In it's current state it's nasty to control critter pop/eggs.
Perhaps it would be nice when eggs would not count as critter in a stable?
As soon as it's born/hatchling it should count.
I use autosweeper to remove eggs from stables and store them into a storage container and then manually drop them on the ground(uncheck in storage), but that sucks so much.
Sometimes eggs "die" because every time new eggs arrive in the dropstable, old ones get sorted into the storage container.
Wild eggs die sometimes, because to many times stored/unstored.
Then are in the stables only adults and it's a risk that population dies off, when no manual control is taken.
Visuals great, gameplay with critters sucks for me.

Here is one way to do it (not the best but it works):

Eggs.thumb.jpg.3469a692325ff1fd9da36de8fdc5290d.jpg

Below this setup, I have multiples stables, all set to a maximum of 8, which is the max for hatches in a stable of 96. In the section labelled "A", the duplicant will bring the kind of eggs I have set. Every time the smart storage get one egg, it activate the sweeper who will move it to the storage on the right. Since it lose power once he remove the egg, it drops it on the ground on B, a zone that my duplicants cannot reach. There, the door will open only at night (actually, on break + night time), letting the hatch wander around in room "C". On the next day, any rancher will go and pick any adult hatch since the max in this room is 0. If one of my stable needs one critter, they will drop it there first. If all are full, they bring the critter to the top room in the picture where the water rise at night to drown the critter there (I use doors with a clock to do this).

I have actually nearly 75 eggs hatching naturally in zone "B" and growing, which means I will never lacks eggs to keep my stable full :)

It would be nice to have a creature execution machine.  I'm thinking something electric with the creature put between two electrodes and then in a comical animation similar to a Grooming station the critter is given a blindfold and a cigarette, then a Dupe throws a big switch and electrocutes them while cackling.

But I don't really like making 'last egg' special in some way, first we got WAY too many egg types as is, so it would create more confusion.  What we need are proper sensor number sensors and egg management tools.

the messy way i would do it, is add an entire management screen per-stable room where a player can put a set of rules and priorities for the room.

priorities like: Feeding Critters, Hatching Eggs, Grooming Critters.

rules like:

• how many critters are allowed per stable
  • do they wrangle extra critters or do they butcher oldest ones
  • how many eggs need to be kept to hatch, extras turn to row egg. 

alternatively they could let us decide those rules using the critter station, hatchery, feeder and the rest similar to the drop point.

in short, stables are a lot of micromanagement unless you are some genius at automation, it become a mini game by it own just to have 1 stable, and it can be very easy to neglect and critters will just stop producing eggs cause they are freaking expecting or over crowded.

I know most the game require the player monitoring oxygen production, farms, power production and so on, but I usually monitoring for optimization or things that need fixing because resources are getting low. ranching demand player input almost every cycle. 

So lately i had this idea. Having three rooms. One is the stable 96 tiles 7 hatches max so they don`t get expecting and keep laying eggs. Eggs are auto transported to the hatching room where the sweeper is set up to drop them on the ground. The room is set to accept only hatchlings (it could have a feeder so you get some coal out of it) so when one grows up it gets auto wrangled. The thrid room is the slaughterhouse. It has a lower priority than the stable so if the stable isn`t full new hatches land there if it is they end as meat.

This should prevent your population from dying off unless there`s a rare scenario where all hatches are the same age and die within 5 cycles.

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

So lately i had this idea. Having three rooms. One is the stable 96 tiles 7 hatches max so they don`t get expecting and keep laying eggs. Eggs are auto transported to the hatching room where the sweeper is set up to drop them on the ground. The room is set to accept only hatchlings (it could have a feeder so you get some coal out of it) so when one grows up it gets auto wrangled. The thrid room is the slaughterhouse. It has a lower priority than the stable so if the stable isn`t full new hatches land there if it is they end as meat.

This should prevent your population from dying off unless there`s a rare scenario where all hatches are the same age and die within 5 cycles.

A nice solution. I'm still wondering if it's possible to do something similar, but incubating eggs, though.

Archived