A few questions about regolith and molten glass (CU)

Hello everyone.
I have two questions for you.

Recently I started playing CU and I have read that many use regolith as a filtering medium.
Do you know if it can be used in the water sieve?
If so, how is it done?

And the other question, does anyone have any design to produce molten glass and cool it to temperature to be used inside the main base?
The molten glass comes out extremely hot and I would like to build several parts of my base with glass.

Thank you very much for your response and an apology if my English is not very good. :D

(By the way, it is my first post and I would like to make a special mention for your help to Oozinator and Neotuck. I have more than 500 hours of play and many of their tips, builds and fun ways to answer the posts have made me spend good times inside and outside the game.
Greetings from Mexico, buddies).

Hola! Congratulations for the first post ! (Don't worry, your English is very good)

My understanding is Regolith can be used by the water sieve to filter out polluted water back to normal water. I usually keep my water sieves within reach of an automatic arm and a storage compactor full with any of the filtration medium. The polluted dirt generated by the sieves is delivered to a compost station by the same arm, either to one within reach, or using a conveyor loader to the recycling room.

The very hot buildings such as the metal refinery, kiln, and glass forge, are kept in their special floor, well insulated and pre-cooled with polluted water, just prior to the heat deletion unit (a.k.a. water sieve).   If you have a pool of polluted water nearby, you can dump the molten liquid glass using a vent of a metal (e.g., wolframite or iron) that won't melt with the glass heat. Same for the insulated pipe material (e.g, wolframite, obsidian, abyssalite, ceramic). After a few cycles the glass should be cool to handle.

47 minutes ago, Mr.Trueba said:

Recently I started playing CU and I have read that many use regolith as a filtering medium.  Do you know if it can be used in the water sieve?  If so, how is it done?

It acts like sand, but you can't specify which material you want it to insert.  The most likely insertions will occur if you have a nearby container full of regolith and a transfer arm.

48 minutes ago, Mr.Trueba said:

And the other question, does anyone have any design to produce molten glass and cool it to temperature to be used inside the main base?  The molten glass comes out extremely hot and I would like to build several parts of my base with glass.

There's a few oil boilers going around, which are mostly there to make use of the heat, not get cool off the glass.  They're no where near as efficient as magma however.  Cooling off glass is most easily done in Polluted H2O.  Set it up so it's almost boiling, then send it into a sieve to delete the heat, or as an actual boiler for PH2O.

I guess you can't make glass out of regolith, I have 2 autosweeper arms and container full of regolith and (surprise) they are not loading it into glass forge no matter what.

It loaded water sieve with regolith, so yea no glass from regolith.

9 hours ago, Mr.Trueba said:

And the other question, does anyone have any design to produce molten glass and cool it to temperature to be used inside the main base?

I usually have a large tank of polluted and contaminated water in my base. I use it for all sorts of cooling. I just drop the molten glass into it. The amounts the glass forge produces don`t heat it up significantly even with constant production. If you don`t have excess polluted water you can use oil. Just make sure you don`t make the glass forge pipes out of sandstone or they`ll melt.

5 hours ago, _Q_ said:

I guess you can't make glass out of regolith, I have 2 autosweeper arms and container full of regolith and (surprise) they are not loading it into glass forge no matter what.

It loaded water sieve with regolith, so yea no glass from regolith.

Not directly no, but you can turn it into clay, then ceramic, and then crush it down into sand in the rock granulator.

Another route to turn regolith into glass (although this definitely falls under "late game mega projects") is by melting it into magma. You can then crush the igneous rock into sand and make glass with it, and the heat of that glass can be used to melt more regolith than the sand you used to make the glass.

Archived