Automated food storage for EU

I set up an automated food storage in chlorine that will cycle the food to the mess hall during break time once per cycle

the clock is set to active at 75% (shortly after break starts to give dupes time to use bathrooms) and the duration is 3%

Once the clock is active it turns on the loader in the chlorine storage sending it's stored food to the receptacle in the mess hall (set to manual use)

The signal also goes though a NOT gate turning off the sweepers above the mess hall stopping them from sending food to the other receptacle above which sends the food back to storage. (The sweepers will be on 97% of the rest of the cycle)

This build keeps all food fresh without dupe interaction beyond loading/operating the grill and musher

a.thumb.png.1f7d94ee1f5d28c1cb37b7f8658f7d22.pngb.thumb.png.3fd0c49811f7ee0d087e80d8b1f0a373.pngc.thumb.png.7c4178172f9714cfe177c24b5777ce4b.png

• Don't you also need to empty the mess hall storage if there's leftovers?
    • Or you calculated the storage space so it fits all the required food exactly ?
    • Seems like a pain if you have many types of allowed food, which usually happens as dupes have different requirements.
  • Also why do you need the top left sweeper ?

Saving the cooking ingredient delivery is nice, but

• can you force sweepers to only deliver ingredients when they're needed for cooking and to deliver food back to the fridge room when it's cooked? That would be useful.

7 minutes ago, martosss said:

Don't you also need to empty the mess hall storage if there's leftovers?

that's what the sweepers on top do, they are on 97% of the cycle

8 minutes ago, martosss said:

Also why do you need the top left sweeper ?

sometimes dupes drop food (might be a bug, hopefully it will be patched later)

9 minutes ago, martosss said:

can you force sweepers to only deliver ingredients when they're needed for cooking and to deliver food back to the fridge room when it's cooked? That would be useful.

any greenhouse can be used as a sterile environment (chlorine, CO2, or H2) if the dupes cant reach the storage they will only deliver it to the grill and/or musher.  All leftover ingredients are left on the floor of the sterile greenhouses

6 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

if the dupes cant reach the storage they will only deliver it to the grill and/or musher.

but they won't deliver it to the sweeper for further sweeping.

6 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

All leftover ingredients are left on the floor of the sterile greenhouses

Can you make a sweeper drop something?(apart from changing the container allowance while the sweeper is loading stuff in it?) I think you can't make it drop something at some specific spot, if there isn't a container in that spot waiting to be loaded?

6 minutes ago, martosss said:

but they won't deliver it to the sweeper for further sweeping.

loaders can be set to specific items like compactors, the one in this build is set to cooked items only so the sweepers will ignore ingredients

7 minutes ago, martosss said:

Can you make a sweeper drop something?(apart from changing the container allowance while the sweeper is loading stuff in it?) I think you can't make it drop something at some specific spot, if there isn't a container in that spot waiting to be loaded?

sweepers will drop items on the floor when power is interrupted mid sweep.  This can be achieved if you make an automation signal loop that turns it off every 3 seconds

I did this to feed hatches before the ranching update ;)  

Nice, now the only thing you need for a complete tutorial is to merge this and the other thread + add some pictures + examples + a nice explanation of range(I actually did a diagram showing which tiles affect which others, but then just thought to myself "WTF am I doing, just order the dupe to finish the damn job")

Since the loader can be filled even if automation is at 0, couldn't you make it more efficient by putting another sweeper which has access (and only this one) to a loader inside the food storage room? Make a more direct way toward the mess all and you'll have less found to put back into your storage room.

18 hours ago, martosss said:

Seems like a pain if you have many types of allowed food, which usually happens as dupes have different requirements.

Having many different food sources is really expensive and not efficient, especialy when in current state the food does not infuelnce stress THAT much but maybe it will change in future. Just feed everyone meals that has quality equal the the highest quality exceptation acquired by your dupes

@Neotuck dupes can take food from the receptacle?

Just now, Parusoid said:

Having many different food sources is really expensive and not efficient, especialy when in current state the food does not infuelnce stress THAT much but maybe it will change in future. Just feed everyone pepper bread or stuffed berry

In Expression Update, the added quality of life.  It means that there is no benefit to giving them better food than they want to fulfill their QoL requirement plus 1 (for the benefit).  Why feed a dupe pepper bread when he is just as happy with frost buns?

30 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

In Expression Update, the added quality of life.  It means that there is no benefit to giving them better food than they want to fulfill their QoL requirement plus 1 (for the benefit).  Why feed a dupe pepper bread when he is just as happy with frost buns?

I meant to feed them with the food that fills the hihgest exceptation your dupe currenlty has. This way you can focus on one food source

Just now, Parusoid said:

I meant to feed them with the food that fills the need of the most requiring dupe. This way you can focus on one food source

But why feed a dupe pepper bread, which is more expensive, when he is just as happy with frost buns?

1 minute ago, Zarquan said:

But why feed a dupe pepper bread, which is more expensive, when he is just as happy with frost buns?

if you want to have frost buns farms AND pepper bread farms at once the go ahead, its your time, not mine

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

Bad move..

Good move..

21 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

stress.thumb.jpg.526448dd8e519cfc5fa3b8f067b299a5.jpg

So? If your highest requirement is -1 then feed then -1 meal whats that hard to understand here?

@Zarquan omg just do whatever you want, its not like people are struggling with pepper bread produciton these days, everyone is holding like hundreds of thousand of kcalories anyway

51 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

@Zarquan omg just do whatever you want, its not like people are struggling with pepper bread produciton these days, everyone is holding like hundreds of thousand of kcalories anyway

There is nothing wrong with giving dupes higher level food if you have the resources.  However, from a min-max perspective, you lose extra resources and gain nothing.  If your base can support that, then go ahead.  My plan is to try to get the largest base possible, so small optimizations like that are useful to me.  The nice thing is that @Neotuck's build supports multiple food types with a minimal amount of effort.

Archived