Anybody mind telling me kiting patterns for... everything.

Alright, I know how to kite. Kinda. I know how to bait, how to sync, and how to do whatever else you do. However, I have a really bad memory. This means that when I tell everybody on the server "Don't worry, I know how to kite hounds!", it will result in me running in circles for days constructing some crazy plan utilizing the environment to kill the things, while everybody watches helplessly and I tell them I'm fine, its just all part of the plan.

So... not ideal.

The things I can kite are: Beefs and Koalaphants, treeguards, and nothing else! The only reason I can kite these however, is because I can remember the patterns. Now, having to refer to a sheet of patterns whenever I fight isn't idea, but its the only option I have.

Remember! When you're fighting with 2 or more creatures always try to make them be very close by running around them. That way their attack will be synced and it'll feel like you're fighting with only 1 creature.

Also most of kiting patters below can be done without walking cane but it's definitely better to use walking cane when you kite

Spiders: If 1 then stun-lock it. If a group then run around them untill they're all really close to each other and try to bait all of them to attack- that way you can kill 1 spider b4 the rest attacks again. You can also just hit and run but that can be tricky because you need a speed boost (so you'll need to quickly swich between weapon and walking cane) and spiders that are in the back can push spiders that are on the front.

Warrior Spiders: bait the attack, hit 7-8 times and dodge (try to bait it to do a close-range attack). If it's a group of warior spiders then bait all of them to attack and Focus on 1 spider.

Normal Spiders and Warrior Spiders: Idk why you'd want to fight that many spiders but ok. Run around the spiders just like with normal spiders, bait wariors' attacks and attack normal spiders just like i explained earlier.

Cave Spiders: Single- bait attack, attack it, wait for it to stop hiding, attack. A group- run around them, bait all attack, attack 1 spider. Since it'll probably hide you'll have to run around them again so they're synced

Spitters: Just tank them. They're to annoying to kite them. 

Danglind Depth Dweller: Same as Warriors. Best to simply avoid their webs

Spider Queen; Kill her minions as soon as she spawns 1 (she moves slow so you'll have time). Bait attack hit 2-3 Times, dodge, repeat

Hound: Hit 2 Times, dodge, repeat (or hit 3 Times if you're using at least spear and not playing as Wendy, Wes or wimpy Wolfgnag). For a normal hounds attacks it's better to just use beefalos or tooth traps. Red and Blue hounds have less health so you can kill them quicker

Batilisk: Don't kite them. If you have a strong weapon you can kill them in 1 hit. 

Clockwork Knight: Dodge the attack but only by taking 1 step forward becasue you need to quickly attack him 2 Times b4 he tries to kite you. Same for damaged

Clockwork Bishop: Tank it. Same for damaged

Clockwork Rook; Kiting isn't really efficient but you can make it charge away from its spawn and attack it when it tries to hop back to its spawn. I prefer to tank it, or use it to kill other clockworks. Same for damaged

Depth Worm: Dodge the attack, hit it as many Times as you can b4 it hides underground, dodge, repeat. Run around them if it's a group attack so they're synced

Frog: 1 hit, dodge, repeat. Don't try to fight many frogs

Pig; Same as Clockwork knight but you can hit it 4 Times.

Guardian Pigs; Same as Pigs but you can only hit it 1-2 Times.

Werepigs: (also a way to kill normal pigs if you're having troubles with mobs that try to kite you) Dodge, hit 2 Times, repeat.

Ghosts; Don't fight them. You have no reason to fight them

Shadow Creatures: Dodge, hit, repeat. If it's a group then… you should know by now. If there're Terrorbeaks then Focus them 1st

Bees: Single bee- stunlock. Group- hit 1 and run (just like with spiders). You can wait for killer bees to deagro and attack Chester.

Tallbird: Dodge, hit 2 Times, repeat

Eyeplants; Have a weapon strong enough to kill them in 1 hit

MacTusk: Chase him untill he starts casually walking back home then kill him. Don't worry about hounds- b4 they arrive MacTusk should be dead.

Merms; Same as pigs but faster. Most of the time Tentacles will kill them for you

Tentacles: Dodge, hit, repeat. Most of the time Memrs will kill it for you

Big Tentacle and it's Babies: Hit 2 Times, run b4 babies spawn, kill babies, repeat. You can also use spikey hutch to kill the babies

My profile Picture: Wait for birchnutters to despawn, chop it as long as you can b4 it spawns birchnutters. If it attacks with a root then… dodge it. Repeat untill it's dead. You can also just use weather pain.

Deerclops: Have food that gives sanity (jerky, cooked green caps) Dodge the attack, hit 2-3 Times, dodge, repeat

Goose; Dodge the attack hit 2-3 Times pick up your weapon when she honks, dodge the attack ,repeat

Her Babies: Go to your local Beefalo. You can also try to sync them follow and Focus on 1 when it's stunned

Bearger; Dodge, hit 2,3 Times, dodge, when he ground-pounds dodge his next attack, repeat

Varg: Bring pigs. Don't fight with it.

Evecus: Bring pigs. Just tank it

Bunnyman: Don't fight with more than 1. Hit it 2 Times, dodge it's attack, if you have a strong weapon then keep hititng it and don't let it escape. If you're fighting it durring the day then let it escape and just wait for it to fall asleep and kill it.

Krampus: Tank. Use pigs/bunnyman. Kiting is basically imposible.

Rock Lobser: Don't fight with it

Pengull: Don't fight with it. Use Pigs.

Snurtle: Dodge, hit it untill it hides in it's shell (recommand using dark sword becasue it'll take 3 hits), wait for it to stop hiding, dodge the attack, repeat

Splumonkey: Normal- use blowdarts or wepaon strong enough to kill it in 2-3 hits. Shadow- dodge, (stong weapon) kill it (weak weapon) hit 2 Times, dodge, repeat. If it's a grounp then sync them or just run for your life. If you're playing as Wendy you can use Abligail.

Slurper: Ignore it. Or... dodge, (strong weapon) kill (weak weapon) hit 2 Times, repeat

Buzzard: Dodge, hit, repeat

Catcoon: Hold F. Before it finishes it's "I'm angry" animation it'll be dead (if you're not fighting with a shovel that its)

Volt Goat: Normal- hit 2 Times, dodge, repeat. Charged- the same as normal but wear eyebrella

I am no expert, but what I do is:

• If it is a "small" enemy (tallbird, hound, frog, snurtle, etc.), I hit 2-3 times, I avoid attack and repeat. If I feel lucky or feel their pattern is longer I go for extra hits sometimes.
  • If is a kiter enemy (bees, pigs, bunnymen, etc.), I avoid hit and try to hit back almost immediately they try to hit (and spam the hit button to lock them in unless there are many of them), is easy on bees, but at least for me, very hard on pigs.
  • For shadow creatures I bait, and then spam hit button to try to hit twice in a row. Rinse and repeat.
  • For Ewecus I run. Run for the hills! Seriously, you have to either cheat or hire some gang pigs to do the dirty job for you in this case.
  • If is boss I cry I try to learn/remember their patterns on the go.
    • With Deerclops I know I can hit 1-2 times on road (BTW, if you are fighting Deerclops, always do it on road).
    • Bearger is hit and avoid 3 times, and then avoid again (something like hit - avoid - hit - avoid - hit - avoid - bait and avoid) because of his earthquake attack (after which he can use his regular attack on no cooldown).
    • I treat G/Goose as a beefalo, sometimes I try to unequip my weapon when she does her honk, but I think is more hassle than going for the weapon anyway.
    • Dragonfly is very difficult to deal with (and almost the only mob I have used the "walking cane kite" technique).
    • For Antlion I hit many times, then I go near the edge when he is throwing his spikes. I hit again when he is about to recover health (I think he does his spike attack 3 times and then tries to heal if you are not attacking him, but I don't know for sure).
    • For Bee Queen I die... I mean, is nearly impossible unless you play with a group or with exploits because she kites, has bodyguards, and slows you down. Only dragonfly can compare and mostly because of her enraged form.
    • Klaus is impossible (I believe?) to avoid on his 2nd form when he launches at you (so have armor on), but fairly easy to avoid on his 1rst form. To avoid the deers you just wait for their heads to glow.

if you set your option Lag Compensation to 'none'

Tallbird, Hound, Goat, Knight can be 3 hit, you can kite Krampus 1 hit, Goose  4 hit with canes, Deerclops 4~5 hit 

Shadow creatures. hit dodge hit -  I call this 2 hit. Depth Worm and dragonfly 7 hit.

In case of klaus, you can block jump attack using loot stash, if you want to dodge you need yellow amulet. 

As mentioned by Altari, I would highly suggest setting lag compensation to none if you're fighting. It makes kiting much more consistent and easier.

And the magiluminescence with walking cane is really useful for Klaus. It's not uncommon for me to be able to beat 'em without taking a single hit using those 2 items (of course I have fought it around 40-50 times by now so I'm very experienced).

If you need some visual demonstrations (which you can write notes on), these videos are great.

Guide to KITING EVERY ENEMY in Don't Starve Together (and Reign of Giants!)

[DST] Kiting: Non-Raid Bosses

You should also keep in mind how your PING is. The higher it is, the less hits you should do before kiting.

I hope all the advice helps!

26 minutes ago, Extant said:

And the magiluminescence with walking cane is really useful for Klaus. It's not uncommon for me to be able to beat 'em without taking a single hit using those 2 items (of course I have fought it around 40-50 times by now so I'm very experienced).

Funny, I never used them for Klaus, I simply never thought of that. I should try it next time! I usually use an ornery beefalo, that makes the fight so much easier, and doesn't require to make armor, healing or weapons.

28 minutes ago, Extant said:

[DST] Kiting: Non-Raid Bosses

I was thinking about posting that video, in general it's very useful, just it doesn't tell about non-boss mobs. What I dislike in that video a bit is that it's too steril in my opinion, it's like an experiment in a laboraty, without any lag, delay, while on a regular server it's not always possible to kite that perfectly. I for example rarely can kill a birchnutter before it hits me without a speed bonus. (Still a great video and very useful 90% of the time, don't misunderstand me, it's just not always the same as in an actual game)

2 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Funny, I never used them for Klaus, I simply never thought of that. I should try it next time! I usually use an ornery beefalo, that makes the fight so much easier, and doesn't require to make armor, healing or weapons.

I never tried Klaus with a Beefalo, but yes the cane and magiluminescence is fantastic.

For Klaus' 1st phase, I don't even need to switch to the cane. The magiluminescence is enough to allow me to fight it perfectly.

For Klaus' 2nd phase, the cane and magiluminescence allow me plenty of time to still hit it and avoid the lunge.

It's a nice option if you're low on food for your Beefalo and worried about losing some domestication points.

5 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I was thinking about posting that video, in general it's very useful, just it doesn't tell about non-boss mobs. What I dislike in that video a bit is that it's too steril in my opinion, it's like an experiment in a laboraty, without any lag, delay, while on a regular server it's not always possible to kite that perfectly. I for example rarely can kill a birchnutter before it hits me without a speed bonus. (Still a great video and very useful 90% of the time, don't misunderstand me, it's just not always the same as in an actual game)

That's a good point. I don't think John even had caves enabled on that world which simulates single player's no-lag environment. As soon as I enable caves, even if I'm hosting and solo, I get some slight lag.

For the most part, that video focuses on the maximum allowed hits without speed boosts and no lag. As long as your ping is still under 100, and you have some speed boosts, you should be able to replicate nearly all of those kiting patterns.

3 hours ago, Extant said:

As mentioned by Altari, I would highly suggest setting lag compensation to none if you're fighting. It makes kiting much more consistent and easier.

Klaus cheapest way

how about this ('K' is link)

8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Frog: 1 hit, dodge, repeat. Don't try to fight many frogs

If you have a spear or better, then you actually have time to hit them 3 times due to them dying on the 3rd hit.

8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

The timing is very tight, but it's not impossible. 1 hit, then run. Of course it's easier with a cane. In most cases a cane lets you get in 1 extra hit, but not here. I'd still recommend only 1 hit even with a cane.

5 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:
9 hours ago, Szczuku said:

The timing is very tight, but it's not impossible. 1 hit, then run. Of course it's easier with a cane. In most cases a cane lets you get in 1 extra hit, but not here. I'd still recommend only 1 hit even with a cane.

Oh, I didn't see that. Yeah, it is possible to kite Krampus, but it's pretty hard without some speed boost.

I usually like to use magiluminescence as switching to the cane can get me hit sometimes since Krampus attacks so fast. If you have to deal with multiple Krampi at once, like during the Klaus fight, I'd recommend sleepy-time-stories or even the pan flute. Ice staves work as well.

Archived