New world accomplishment

I thought of a really cool idea.  When you break the surface of the asteroid, instead of it sucking out all of the oxygen into the 'void', why can't it be possible to form an atmosphere on your little rock, which could reduce the meteor level depending on the makeup of the atmosphere - (ozone generators?)
You could then plant trees, have more wildlife, and eventually make the atmosphere self-sufficient.

I'd like to see some aggressive mobs that can easily kill a hoard of dupes, but the reward for killing such a beast could be something awesome.  
I think the surface world and ice biomes could have giant worms, or bigfoot like creatures that are just killers.  Though, ranchable in their own way (never not being dangerous).  I'd like to see some transformations based on the environment a creature is raised.  For example, you find an underground bat or something, raise it on the surface with an atmosphere, and it may change to a bird - similar to the feeding transformation.  In this way, I think people should have the option to manufacture a biome.  a dirt tile?  Make the environment extremely cold, it's now a cold biome.  Creatures bred in the cold might become bigger, more aggressive, warmer, produce more food when slaughtered, etc.  Creatures raised in heat might produce venom or something.

So, after you've got a planet completely self-sufficient, and you've reached the end of the planets capacity, where do you go?  What do you do?  Sustain the atmosphere for 10 cycles or so, develop rocket technology, and leave.  Where do you leave to?  Well, the rocket could crash land inside another comet, where the fun starts again.  This time, you get to pick which 3 survivors you start with, and they'll have whatever stats they accumulated on the first planet.  Now, the duplicator... I'm just throwing this out there.  Wouldn't it be cool to have a duplicator use some kind of template?  I mean, what are they duplicating exactly?
Sacrifice one of your dupes to the duplicator, and it becomes the template.  All duplicates generated will have a possibility of stats which range from the templates highest stat, and go to their lowest stat.  If you have a dupe with 5 strength, 2 cooking, and 0 athletics, all randomly generated dupes can have stats between 0-5, but if 2 is the lowest stat, all dupes can have stats which range from 2-5.   The duplicant template should not be replaceable once chosen.  This will allow the game to be multi-dimensional, and give true progress to the game.  You'll be crafting colonies with super-humans before long.  Why do the dupes look different than their template?  Mutational rate.  

It might also be cool to start the new world with a percentage of the resources you ended with.

I think it'd also be a good idea to make the map persist from the edges.  Go too far left, you start at the right side, go too far right, start again at the left side.  Just have the center of the asteroid completely unreachable, then you don't have to worry about flipping the view.  

I'd also love to see some instant-death happening to these dupes (I'm not psychotic).  If the temperature is 1000 degrees, they shouldn't last for an entire minute.  1000 degrees should turn them into bacon on the spot.  Accidentally fall in lava without a thermal exosuit?  Bye bye.   No chance of rescue.
Meteor lands on someone?  Squashed.  Lightning strikes?  Death.  Fall from too high?  Death.  Character exposed to the vacuum of space without an exosuit?  Do you really think they'd last more than a second? 

I'd like to hear some thoughts on these ideas.  Anyone?

Good ideas.

I like the idea of creating an atmosphere on the surface, and having more difficult hostile creatures.

I don’t like the duplicator idea though, but someone has mentioned about tweaking the printing pod or changing it over time to provide some variation. Some may like this.

I really like your asteroid is round map idea. Scrolling to the left and right simply repeats the map. I personally dislike how the interface behaves at map edges.

I don’t think you’ll get any support for instant death situations. It’s a good idea, but not really good for the building and managing style game, especially with how dumb these guys are to start with, ha. They need some forgiveness, even if they fall into lava.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:37 PM, Astrologic said:

Death.  Character exposed to the vacuum of space without an exosuit?  Do you really think they'd last more than a second? 

Well in real life you can last up to... 6 minutes I believe it was? So...

Making space instantly kill would also mean all vacuums instantly kill by extension, and I don't think it would be fun to have a duplicant randomly die because the game decided the tile they were in was vacuum for a short period (i.e. wheezewort).

6 hours ago, Hexicube said:

Making space instantly kill would also mean all vacuums instantly kill by extension, and I don't think it would be fun to have a duplicant randomly die because the game decided the tile they were in was vacuum for a short period (i.e. wheezewort).

Or it could be a different thing entirely.  Cold perhaps?  

On 6/28/2018 at 6:51 PM, Astrologic said:

Or it could be a different thing entirely.  Cold perhaps?  

If a dup could breathe in space but didn't have an exosuit, he's more likely to die after a while from overheating. You've been watching too many movies.

Gravity on a tiny asteroid could not hold an atmosphere, although that's a gaming thing so sure, it could happen if it makes a good game, but there are definitely issues. Where does CO2 go, to the south pole, or the center of the asteroid? As far as extending the game (essentially what you're trying to do), I don't like your restart method. It's been done too many times in other games, and it's where a good playthrough goes to die.

But maybe you could make a (disposable) rocket and send the duplicant printer (you only get 1 in the game), supplies, or a duplicant in an exosuit to another asteroid. It will land on the outside. And you run multiple colonies, as one is running out of supplies and you're colonizing a second.

They obviously have a story arc, with this release having GravitasTM rooms and such. I want to see that story arc first. Then maybe something to extend the game further.

7 minutes ago, Vuelhering said:

Gravity on a tiny asteroid could not hold an atmosphere

Sure it could, you just need a dense enough core.Probably one of the super-heavy elements predicted to be possible (apparently after a certain point atoms start to get more stable again).

On 6/24/2018 at 1:37 PM, Astrologic said:

So, after you've got a planet completely self-sufficient, and you've reached the end of the planets capacity, where do you go?  What do you do?  Sustain the atmosphere for 10 cycles or so, develop rocket technology, and leave.  Where do you leave to?  Well, the rocket could crash land inside another comet, where the fun starts again.  This time, you get to pick which 3 survivors you start with, and they'll have whatever stats they accumulated on the first planet.  Now, the duplicator... I'm just throwing this out there.  Wouldn't it be cool to have a duplicator use some kind of template?  I mean, what are they duplicating exactly?

I like this idea, but I want to add  more to it. Maybe first you'd launch satelites and could allow for exploration of a given system (with a certain ammount of asteroids, planets, stars,ect) and then you can launch rockets to explore these new asteroids and bring back more resources. And possibly search the planet seen in the Cosmic Upgrade animation after a given ammount of time, or a radio signal that's obtainable after tuning the wave length, or you find a special blueprint or something. That's a lot of what can be done for space (wejustsciencedthes***outofthat)

On ‎24‎.‎06‎.‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Astrologic said:

I'd also love to see some instant-death happening to these dupes (I'm not psychotic).  If the temperature is 1000 degrees, they shouldn't last for an entire minute.  1000 degrees should turn them into bacon on the spot.  Accidentally fall in lava without a thermal exosuit?  Bye bye.   No chance of rescue.
Meteor lands on someone?  Squashed.  Lightning strikes?  Death.  Fall from too high?  Death.  Character exposed to the vacuum of space without an exosuit?  Do you really think they'd last more than a second? 

The desire for the realism can take you too far. Have you ever tried to breath a 100% oxygen? Probably not, judging from the fact that you're still alive. Yet dupes do that all the time. Temperature 1000 degrees? Why go so far, I'd like to see you survive at 50C. I think you'll die of heat stroke in a day. Dupes, on the other hand, can do that easily. They can eat dirt mixed with water, how about that?

I was thinking a slight variation of your whole restarting thing. You suggested dupes flying to other asteroids and restarting there with some of your old dupes, but why not having to manage taking over an entirely new asteroid well also managing the survival of your old one? It'd make self sufficient things more acceptable too, cus eventually you'd make your old asteroids self sufficient and you can focus on doing the process over more naturally on other worlds, possibly with some variation like new creatures or environments. It'd likely take a lot of memory, but that can be easily fixed by just having the other 'planets' unloaded until you go there. Plus lower end PCs can avoid that option all together by just hitting restart. 

On 6/27/2018 at 10:42 AM, Yunru said:

Well in real life you can last up to... 6 minutes I believe it was? So...

According to Neil DeGrasse, when you're exposed to the vacuum of space you are simultaneously getting burned to death and frozen to death, AND your lungs instantly deflate. I think maybe it was 6 seconds

7 minutes ago, mr peeps said:

According to Neil DeGrasse, when you're exposed to the vacuum of space you are simultaneously getting burned to death and frozen to death, AND your lungs instantly deflate. I think maybe it was 6 seconds

Well either he's wrong or you're misremembering (my money's on the later).

To start with, your lungs far from deflate. Unless you slowly breathe out, your lungs expand until they explode, so...

Thinking of all these things, make me realize just how far this game could go.
If we got the possibility to create atmosphere, disregarding how possible/impossible any of these things are realistically.

Then who is to say they can't just START the game in the asteroid like we are now, and then make the game change so drastically that you'd think it's not the same game anymore, instead creating life on this asteroid.
The world would need to be bigger for that though, at least large Terraria map size.

Or how about we eventually have to start preparing for the asteroid to crash down on a planet, and then you'll have to survive on said planet, that has far more dangers than the asteroid does, with new plants, far more verocious monsters, new elements.
(Of course, while unrealistic, your entire colony would be perfectly fine, if prepared correctly at least lol)

Oh one could dream.

1 hour ago, Yunru said:

Well either he's wrong or you're misremembering (my money's on the later).

To start with, your lungs far from deflate. Unless you slowly breathe out, your lungs expand until they explode, so...

I believe that's wrong. For instance, if you were to open an oxygen container in space, the vacuum would force all the air out to space. Gasses are always trying to take up as much space as possible, so any gas that comes in contact with vacuum is immediately... vacuumed. The same occurs with your lungs. All oxygen is immediately trying to take up as much space as possible, so it escapes into space, where it separates into nothingness.

This explains it pretty well https://www.cnet.com/news/what-happens-to-the-unprotected-human-body-in-space/

No no, it's a common and tested thing. The easiest way for the air in your lungs to expand is... simply outwards. Unless you breathe out, it'll keep expanding until your lungs rupture.

Also yeah, I was off with my times by a factor of 3. 2 minutes is about the longest you can survive without a suit before being clinically dead.

it would be cool making an atmosphere, but i dont think it would connect with the oni story line, but it would be cool to have atmospheres for fan generated maps, or just having fun in oni.

i feel dups would start out throwing algae outer space to try to make a atmosphere, if it took them months to find out how to make a wall.

i suggested having a atmosphere wall and block that would allowed sun light and meteors to come thru but keep the gases in.  

Archived