Metal Refinery and Steam turbine

I actually have a question. I tried some builds to use volcanoes as sources of heat for steam turbines. I basically enclosed magma volcano in insulated tile and capped it shut on top with steam turbine (bottom of turbine encloses the insulated chamber), but it seems kind wonky and steam keeps escaping through turbine somehow without even powering it... What Am i doing wrong and how can i get volcano to power it?

46 minutes ago, artemiyME said:

I actually have a question. I tried some builds to use volcanoes as sources of heat for steam turbines. I basically enclosed magma volcano in insulated tile and capped it shut on top with steam turbine (bottom of turbine encloses the insulated chamber), but it seems kind wonky and steam keeps escaping through turbine somehow without even powering it... What Am i doing wrong and how can i get volcano to power it?

The steam turbine is a little wonky.  Unfortunately, it's been shown that the bottom tiles of the steam turbine can, at times, act like air tiles and let gases through them, either up or down.  It appears random when it lets gases through some times.  Generally, you want to separate the volcano chamber from the turbine room and transport the heat from one to the other using metal/diamond glass tiles as a 'heat pipe'.  Doors can be used to shut off the transport of heat when the right amount has been transferred.

The 'heat pipe' I'm using here isn't big enough for continuous operation of the turbine for very long but it works for intermittent use just fine, which is what I designed it for.

powergrid1.thumb.jpg.1a0f84c8ff5a6e3cbe17abc5fd34d391.jpg

17 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

It appears random when it lets gases through some times. 

IT's not random. It happens if 2 or more vents, that are open, also are touching. Or if you have mixed air types.

If you have the side of the vents open it will also leak.

I hope they fix it soon. Automation port works perfect when only 1 vent is open and it's a mono-culture of steam.

15 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

I dont get it, what does it do exaclty?

The 2 Refineries are heating a liquid substantially.  The coolant in the pipes is Radiant Pipe, and is used to exchange that heat with the Steam in the Turbine room below.  Depending on the relative temperatures, this will cool the coolant, while heating the Steam.

The consume/release mechanic of the Turbine is just like a Wheezewort, where it absorbs from the bottom and outputs at the top.  This results in a circulatory effect that keeps the pressure rolling around from the top, around the sides of the room, back to the bottom to preserve the pressure gradient necessary for the Turbine to run.

@Parusoid Adding to PhailRaptor's explanation, the reason this works at all is because there is a layer of oxygen at the top of the room, which is fighting for the layer below with the steam (that layer is alternating constantly between low pressures of steam and oxygen) and tricking the steam generator into thinking the pressure below it is higher than above it.

@SkunkMaster @The Flying Fox thanks guys, will try to revise my setup, only thing its igneous rock that spawns a lot of sand and blocks areas that will ahve to be cleaned out in dormancy periods, but the heat transfer through thermally reactive materials and limit of bottom vents to only 1 open is a for sure a good knowledge. Yeah i was surprised why gas leaked out, that shouldnt happen imo, cause you have to make `cheaty` setups, because others don't work at all.

Archived