Metal Refinery and Steam turbine

9 minutes ago, Alex_D said:

What's the overheat temperature of the Metal Refinery ?

The basic overheating temperature of a metal refinery is 75℃ and can be increased to 275℃ depending on the material.

Interesting, so all these steam turbine builds using door compressors or the more recent infinite waterfall exploits to recirculate the steam are entirely unnecessary... Just a little bit of oxygen in the room will do it for you! Add heat, get power. Simple and elegant. :)

6 minutes ago, Sevio said:

Interesting, so all these steam turbine builds using door compressors or the more recent infinite waterfall exploits to recirculate the steam are entirely unnecessary... Just a little bit of oxygen in the room will do it for you! Add heat, get power. Simple and elegant. :)

As far as I understand, the "some other gas in steam chamber" approach will gradually eat steam, whereas the various compression methods - preserve it

8 minutes ago, Sevio said:

While true, you will, apparently, delete Steam over time.  Some sort of weird interaction occurs if other gases are present while the Steam Turbine is running.

15 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

While true, you will, apparently, delete Steam over time.  Some sort of weird interaction occurs if other gases are present while the Steam Turbine is running.

My experience is that if you build a tile right above the steam turbine, or if there is a gas that is not oxygen and steam, the steam begins to slowly disappear.

So there has to be one tile space above the turbine to avoid gas destruction, and I'm guessing the second part of your sentence means that you have to limit it to 2 gases in the room (either oxygen or hydrogen) + steam and not allow a pocket of a third gas there?

20 minutes ago, Sevio said:

So there has to be one tile space above the turbine to avoid gas destruction, and I'm guessing the second part of your sentence means that you have to limit it to 2 gases in the room (either oxygen or hydrogen) + steam and not allow a pocket of a third gas there?

That's right. There should not be a third gas.

1 hour ago, Sevio said:

BUT, steam turbine destroys a lot of steam  if there is another gas. so you need water source

4 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Balance, in all things...

Cant we all get some wolframite/carbon alloy +500C at least?

Tungsten carbide is approximately twice as strong as steel, with a Young's modulus of approximately 530–700 GPa

Melting point 2,785–2,830 °C Oxidation of WC starts at 500–600 °C + acid resistant.

I suspect what's holding Klei back from letting us go to really high temperatures with machines is two things:

1) Risk of infinite steam power loop by heating steam and running it through the steam turbine. The increase to the required steam temp for the turbine must have been aimed at preventing this with the aquatuner/tepidizer.

2) Leaving the team room to add other content more suited for it than heat pumps and a water boiler. We have a lot of flammable substances that don't actually carry any fire risk and can't be used to reach high temperatures in a controlled manner. Although that idea does leave me to wonder why they added a metal refinery that doesn't run on burnable fuel instead of making it part of a combustion update.

So here's my attempt at using this for a magma powered steam turbine with only one input port using the above concept.

auto-pressurizing-steam-turbine-2.thumb.jpg.846bc20b9f9140c45a3f0d9d7e947922.jpg

Pressures are pretty high ranging from 8-9 kg at the input port to 17 kg above the steam turbine. The room was pressurized with 2 kg oxygen before I started inputting water. These high pressures are needed to keep the single input port pressurized enough, otherwise the steam turbine will run intermittently. The petroleum is there as a heat buffer to avoid temperatures spiking too high when the magma chamber transfers heat but it isn't strictly necessary.

Warning while starting this up: It will take a while for the steam to push the oxygen all the way to the top of the room, during which time the turbine won't run or only run intermittently.

There doesn't seem to be a significant steam loss as there hasn't been any need to add water for about 20 cycles now.

Atmo sensor: Below 10000 g

Thermo sensor: Above 235 C

If anyone wants the save file to poke around, just ask. :)

7 minutes ago, Sevio said:

The petroleum is there as a heat buffer to avoid temperatures spiking too high when the magma chamber transfers heat but it isn't strictly necessary.

Huh.  That's a nifty idea.  I had difficulties stabilizing my last turbine build, so I'll give this a shot. Nice idea. :)

11 hours ago, Sevio said:

Using small gas pockets on top of the turbine in this manner causes steam to be deleted over time. This setup has been known about for a long time, but there is a reason it doesn't get used.

1 hour ago, JonnyMonroe said:

Using small gas pockets on top of the turbine in this manner causes steam to be deleted over time. This setup has been known about for a long time, but there is a reason it doesn't get used.

eventually once we can get a more sustainable source of raw metals, this could change

@JonnyMonroe, @ShadowOfALegend: Not saying there couldn't be a gas destruction bug still creeping around but that build I posted above has been stable for 20 cycles without needing extra steam, so if there is any gas destruction it's very insignificant. The gas pressure at the atmo switch was hovering at around 16 kg when I got the pressure high enough for it to run stable during stress testing and it has stayed there ever since.

Archived