Search for a Self Sustain Power Plant

Just now, Arganot said:

@Neotuck In the above, what keeps the Fertilizer synth cool / what temp would it stabilize at?

the cold polluted water from the slush geyser, it runs though granite pipes though the floor tiles and airflow tiles around the fertilizer synthesizers before going in to them

30 minutes ago, travaldofan said:

ranch hatches , coal generator and smart battery(make small circuits) , but not a self sustaining 

Theoretically should be possible.  Sage Hatches using your Fertalizer runoff after your Farming Station(s) for the 1:1 conversion of food mass to Coal.  Simply a matter of how many Stables and Ranchers you need to keep the production rate equal to or above consumption.

4 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

If you automate the ngg's you can really cut down the Nat gas needed(only working when smart bat is low)

Automating the genarators (and eventually the synths too) does not change anything on material ratios produced or consumed. It just makes the thing run slower, matching the power consumption. You still produce the same amount of power from given amount of natural gas or polluted water.

57 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Automating the genarators (and eventually the synths too) does not change anything on material ratios produced or consumed. It just makes the thing run slower, matching the power consumption. You still produce the same amount of power from given amount of natural gas or polluted water.

True, and using my setup I end up with a surplus of cold polluted water unused from the geyser

@Neotuck Whether your geyser sustains the thing or not depends on the output of the geyser really. also, 16 fertiliser makers is not enough to keep 10 NG generators running fulltime, you need 3 fertiliser makers per NG generator to be NG stable.

I would also recommend using automated doors on a clock sensor to collect all the fertiliser at the bottom and autosweepers to get it out of the fertiliser making room, so your dupes never have to go in there at all. This way, you don't need to set up as many sweepers / conveyer belts etc.

I like the use of automation on only letting the NG generators run when needed though. sadly with my current base, that's 24/7 with a little power injection from a coal generator backup circuit I've made. ( Damn LOX machine.. )

10 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

@Neotuck Whether your geyser sustains the thing or not depends on the output of the geyser really. also, 16 fertiliser makers is not enough to keep 10 NG generators running fulltime, you need 3 fertiliser makers per NG generator to be NG stable.

I would also recommend using automated doors on a clock sensor to collect all the fertiliser at the bottom and autosweepers to get it out of the fertiliser making room, so your dupes never have to go in there at all. This way, you don't need to set up as many sweepers / conveyer belts etc.

I like the use of automation on only letting the NG generators run when needed though. sadly with my current base, that's 24/7 with a little power injection from a coal generator backup circuit I've made. ( Damn LOX machine.. )

The reason I have 16 fertilizer makers for 10 natural gas geysers is 2 Reasons.  First the fertilizer synthesizers one full-time where has the natural gas geysers only run when automated. Second I have three natural gas vents feeding into the room with the fertilizer synthesizers

17 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

Ahh. the three vents should definitely help in providing that extra boost of NG, and yes, when the generators aren't running 24/7 like in my base, that also helps conserve NG.

I once automated the fertilizer synthesizers to shut down once atmosphere pressure reached 20 Kg.  But then my polluted water from the geyser would overfill and flooded my natural gas generators LOL

Sounds like you have a NICE slush geyser there, you're lucky! :D
Maybe it's time to increase the number of generators / fertiliser makers a bit to enhance your power supply so you're ready to really crank up the power output and make some big honking crazy machines that need a buttload of power to work ( industrial size lox makers come to mind )
Or start boiling some of that slush to get dirt and clean water.

10 hours ago, Neotuck said:

a slush geyser can provide all the raw materials needed for self sustaining natural gas power plant and keep it cool

20180408071637_1.thumb.jpg.255f3d9eb17630399eb57a6f3eda5f3d.jpg

Especially if you use the new liquid pipes to allow the cold to radiate into the fert room

12 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Sure. But as you said you'll consume slower. Meaning if your synths run 100% and your gen only needs let's say 80% uptime would bring you down from a 3synth 1gen ratio to a 2.4 to 1 ratio. That's what I tried to say. 

And with some extra ng from vent the ratio could go down some more. That's why I asked how much and how cold they produce.

You can feed the colder ng to the top ngg, so the ph20 cools down the whole power plant by flowing down instead of mixing the separate ng producers

18 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

let's say 80% uptime would bring you down from a 3synth 1gen ratio to a 2.4 to 1 ratio.

The ratio remains the same - 3:1. You just need 80% uptime on synths to support 80% uptime on generators, that's all. If you build lower synth to generator ratio, you cannot provide 100% uptime. And if you never need 100% uptime on generators then you don't need so many generators in the first place.

Ah. Thx I get your point now. I was thinking of leaving the synth run unautomated... so 20g/s/synth. And as many ngg's as long as the synths maintain a net positive production pumping the overproduction to a tank as reserve.

I think I've never automated the synths:D always paddle to the metal and pump off the overproduction 

But I'll try next time

22 minutes ago, -SchiavoR- said:

How you cooling this?

Cooling is largely unnecessary.  The Slush Geyser produces P-H2O at near freezing temperatures.  This cools all the NatGas Gens under it through contact.  The nature of the NatGas Generator is that it's output (P-H2O and CO2) will be the same temperature as the NatGas Generator itself, which should be near freezing just like the Slush Geyser's P-H2O output.

Meanwhile, the FertSynths produce NatGas at a fixed temperature (75 C I think?).  While this is pretty warm, it continues to produce NatGas at that temperature regardless of the temperature of the machine or the surroundings.  On top of that, as Kabrute has explained further above, the pipe bringing in the P-H2O from the Slush/NatGas Gen pool (which is near freezing) has been routed all the way around the outside of the FertSynth chamber, absorbing some of the heat as it goes.

Archived