For Science! - Little Mishaps while building your Base

After a long break from ONI I finally came back and I have lots of fun with all the new updates. I didn't find a thread in which you can share your pictures of all your little funny mishaps so I just started a new one. So - here we go:

FrozenCoolSteamVent.thumb.png.f5ec7c5e0fa67f52e4baf207845a1e31.png

I filled my clean-water-tank with tons of water because I needed to rebuild something in my poluted-water-tank. (Therefore I just cleaned my water and stored it in my clean-water-tank.) So I needed to skip one active period of my cool steam vent and... guess what happend... :shock:

At least it answers one question: you could build a ice castle if you really want to...

55 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

I really wish devs fixed that bug already.

Do you mean the heat deletion bug? I didn't use this one on my setup.

So I don't think I had a bug happen, I just didn't have enough space to pump out my cooled down water, so my cool steam vent were overpressureized and didnt produce anything... (and as far as i know this behavior is intended) especially no heat, and therefore my cooling setup were maybe a little to effective

11 minutes ago, _midnightrain_ said:

So I don't think I had a bug happen

If a cold source is above a liquid pool, there is the heat deletion.

I guess the truth might be like this

Steam vent——>Steam——>Touch cold metal blocks——>Cold water——>Drop——>Heat deletion

Your case might be similar with this thread

37 minutes ago, _midnightrain_ said:

Do you mean the heat deletion bug? I didn't use this one on my setup.

You may have not intentionally. But that room would have no chance freezing over from just three wheezeworts. 

One way the bug presents itself is when the top layer in water pool is thin, e.g. you have full 1000+ kg tiles and there's just a few kg in the top tile. If that top tile cools, the whole column cools down with it. The heat from the top tile must be transferred correctly, but the rest just goes along and the heat is deleted. 

Let's do the maths - I can see 37 tiles of water in that room. Let's assume it's 37 tons and it got cooled from 100 C to 0. That's 37000000 (g) x 100 (K) * 4.179 = 15462 MJ of energy. With one Wheezewort producing 12 kW of cooling, the three worts would delete that heat in 429508 seconds, or 716 cycles. I believe it did not take that long in your case. So regardless whether intentional or not, the bug was involved.

1 hour ago, BlueLance said:

I dont really understand what is going on, he somehow froze his geyser?

Yes I did...

@R9MX4, @Kasuha  After doing the math and reading the other thread I think there was a less agressive version of the heat deletion bug happening. Around 60 cycles before I took that picutre everything which is now ice was 60°C/140°F hot water and it was blocking my vent by overpressure, therefore I had no steam left and everything above the water (now ice) and below the airlock was vacuum. The space around the weezies is filled with 20kg per tile hydrogen above the airlock which was at that time at almost the same temperature as the water. So there was no liquid-dropping happening (and therefore not such an agressive heat deletion). But the topmost colum of my watertank was only filled with around 200kg water per tile. So I think you are right and I had some kind of  non dropping heat deletion happing. But its still a pretty effective setup (the 20kg hydrogen per tile helps a lot). The whole setup cooles the room around 1°C/1,8°F while fluid (with some heat deletion) and around 0,4°C/0,72°F while solid per cylcle. ATM (i didnt had time tho excarvate all that stuff)) the room is at around -13,5°/8°F and its only 37 cycles later. Every colum now is properly filled with 1000kg ice, no half colums left (I think the half colums "vanished" into ice which is now burried objects). But its still pretty funny. Next time I'll just put the weezies below my hot water...

4 hours ago, Siromatik said:

So let's resume, to cool a whole liquid pool you only need to cool down a single tile in top of it, most efficient with less grams, whatever the size of the pool is, am I understanding it right here?

yeah you only need to cool the top layer to change temp on everything under it. 

12 hours ago, Siromatik said:

So let's resume, to cool a whole liquid pool you only need to cool down a single tile in top of it, most efficient with less grams, whatever the size of the pool is, am I understanding it right here?

Make your pool wider and drip it into one tile space and you'll soon get a lovely rainbow visual ;) 

Now we need a wider range in colors... and UNICORNS ! :D

After reading this thread I tried a build to cool an hot water pool in a tower by cooling the single top-tile, but still have somes issues to reach really low amount of water with the liquid shut-off, like it depend on wich 'tick' it command to stop.
Anyway its working enought for any hot geyser output, but not optimised at all, so i share you the results and screenshotq if you want to give a try. I finally went on a passiv one with automation only, and a deeeeper pool.

oni_tower_cooling__0000_01.thumb.jpg.282b54bb5ed99180a924ba81a5127915.jpgoni_tower_cooling__0001_02.thumb.jpg.35ee277aad0f53eb6b6d5842425de840.jpg

oni_tower_cooling__0002_03.thumb.jpg.432ae980fdcd4820b6ea16642f05191b.jpgoni_tower_cooling__0003_04.thumb.jpg.9055ca97c521d24f47644f402abf7d9b.jpg

when a liquid vent overpressures normally in plain H20 it fills its own cell then puts a squirt in the cell above so if you put your vent right beneath your metal tile, like right between your thermal sensor and metal tile, you will fill to  the exact amount needed to turn this into a glitch monster. Cheers

image.thumb.png.f2a160a44934de87c7265ac2c3d87b8f.png

image.png.84b669cf4ce2c0875dbdb4d7e6ce0e06.png vent in this spot

remove the temp shift plate

er: put a TSP behind your weezy against the metal tile

but not in your pool

Ended with the same result (something like ~4000g), what i reached with somes tweaks on automation, your tips still really more simple anyway, so thanks Kabrute, just bored that I cant just end with something like ~50g and overkill the trick !

tsp: added it just to cool BOTH upper water tiles, not needed with your way to do yay

Archived