When crops are stiffed and have Farmer's Touch they continue to grow without the growing animation of the plants meaning as long as you can provide micronutrients other requirements like water, fertilizer, light, atmosphere, temperature, and pressure are unnecessary.  In the picture below I have bristle blossoms in a greenhouse with a light set at 1% duration per cycle.  While they are stiffed they are not using any of the water in their inventory yet they are still growing thanks to the farmer's touch.  and once per cycle the light turns on and the plant updates it's growth before turning off, this keeps going until they are ready to harvest and they used less than a kg of water :shock:

(Note the cycle timer in the top left of the pictures)

20180323195503_1.thumb.jpg.6ff0c99dab26577c6ef4666134b961cb.jpg20180323195536_1.thumb.jpg.cde0c82b6ae46f761158fcc2b28cc143.jpg

Here I did the same trick with dust caps, the slime contents didn't drop at all due to being stiffed from illumination yet I was able to harvest them after turning the light off 8 cycles later :shock:

(Again note the cycle in the upper left side)

20180323211722_1.thumb.jpg.5d09b0040d1af310dcb8c26f3c26b2f2.jpg20180323211733_1.thumb.jpg.e81720935b90d655cce727c99a20690c.jpg

14 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

If you've already posted it in the bug tracker, why double post it here ?

It's clearly a bug - and you knew this before you made this thread... Bad Neo. Bad.

There are a lot of things I thought were bugs only to find out they were intended features, the nerfing of the Puft for example.  Not many people were looking at the bug tracker so I figured I would double post in general discussion in hopes of getting some extra opinions on this issue

If you want to judge me and say I'm bad because I wanted to hear other peoples opinions then so be it

It's a good find, and I think it's important that folks know it happens (in addition to reporting it as a bug of course).

Otherwise, you can get newer players who might think it's intended behavior and start relying on it

(or even not so new...there's another post about this happening and I was starting to think I had completely misunderstood

how farming was supposed to work).

8 minutes ago, cpy said:

We're already short on water, and you want this to be fixed too?

I am not short on water. Noone is, when boiling oil and running NG for PW. This is a bad bug and it sure should be fixxed, because it breaks many gamemechanics. Drip bug is not gamebreaking..

34 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I am not short on water. Noone is, when boiling oil and running NG for PW. This is a bad bug and it sure should be fixxed, because it breaks many gamemechanics. Drip bug is not gamebreaking..

Hol up! What? Free water from oil? Links pretty please! (I'm sort of noob in game :( )

Just now, cpy said:

Hol up! What? Free water from oil? Links pretty please!

Your wish is my order.
The following link shows something created/tested in survival.
Theoretically you could dump oil into magma directly, but it's not so nice :)

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

This is a bad bug

<IT grumbling>

Terminology, please. Not every error is a bug and vice versa. This is a design oversight, a balance issue, result of 1:1 conversion when a matter state changes, but it works exactly as the mechanic was designed so that is not a bug.

</IT grumbling>

58 minutes ago, Vilda said:

Terminology, please.

Food chain is connected to tier jobs / stress.
It's a deep balanced system, essential for gameplay, even when it's not so well balanced at the moment.

Those water / geysers adittions to the game interact with that very well. Some sort of "randomizing" gaming experience.
When player adapt a specific gameplay and an update happens, which forces them to rethink, or to play different, it could be frustrating.
ONI is Beta and everything could change, but i am a bit scared, of the good interaction / reaction to playerneeds (job update / prios) from Klei.
When many ppl complain, based on frustration it changes good things too, when Klei reacts to it.
When players judge changes, it's their right to do so, but i would like, when they know all their options before doing.
Ppl say "i don't use debug, because it's cheaty", but on the other side, they want enough from everything, with a buttonpress.
Forgive me bad freestyle english ^^

I am not contesting at all, that it's an serious balance issue. Merely grumbling, from the position of an IT guy, about a technical term being used in a wrong context. Happens a lot with that one, sadly.

3 minutes ago, Vilda said:

I am not contesting at all, that it's an serious balance issue. Merely grumbling, from the position of an IT guy, about a technical term being used in a wrong context. Happens a lot with that one, sadly.

Can you explain, i have the trait "slow learner"?

The issue of way too much NG from Petroleum comes from the design of  the matter conversion - when matter changes state, it changes 1:1. But it can't be descibed as a bug, because it was designed to work that way, it is perhaps unexpected result of adding certain features over time or design oversight.

A bug is term for an error in code ending in a wrong or unexpected result / functionality / crash etc. Like when items with negative decor constructed out of matetials with decor buff ended with even worse decor malus. That was most certainly a ressult of wrong sign in the function that calculated final decor value.

History lesson: the term comes from acual dead bugs staining punch cards used to program early models of computers. So the card was punched out at wrong places and resulted in incorrect instruction.

Archived