Bristle Berries very high water cost?

Every game I have been pushing towards Bristle Berry production as the next step after mealwood.

But I just looked closely and saw the water cost is 20Kg per plant per cycle.

Does each plant really use this much water? I have a few medium sized lakes in my base - totalling 4000Kg of total water. I did the maths. 20 bristle berries would cost me 400Kg of water a cycle. In just 10 cycles a decent sized Bristle Berry farm would consume all the water in my base!

This seems totally crazy for a food source that's only a bit better than mealwood (at least until you can combine it with other foods). I am guessing you can only realistically grow bristle berries if you find a renewable water source or create one. I'm yet to do that in my games thus far. I guess you get a bit of the water back via waste water after they are eaten, but not all of it, right?

Am I missing something or getting something wrong here, or are bristle berries more of a late-game thing? People on this forum seem to go onto them right after mealwood - and I need better quality food to get to Job Tier 3 safely in the jobs board. Bristle Berries is the next logical food to go for, as it just needs light and water without the hostile atmospheres of other plants.

You are cooking the berries to gristle berries, right? You only need 3 blossoms per dupe in that case. Each dupe consumes 121kg of water per cycle living off gristle berries. 67.6kg in O2, 60kg in water to irrigate blossom, and 6.7kg is recycled waste from your dupes.

That roughly equal one tile of water per cycle for a colony of 8 dupes.

Mushrooms are a pretty good alternative to bristle recipes. Even if you have the highest food quality requirements, the grilled mushroom will only add ~10% stress to a dupe and that can be removed easily with decor.

Oh - I'm just going off what the resource tab told me about accessible water. It's now gone up from 4000Kg to 7 Tons - checking online there is 1000Kg to a Ton, so 7000Kg. 

I thought it calculated that based on what water you've tapped into (via hand pump or liquid pump).

Here is my base, main water tank is at the very bottom of the screen, water is also being pumped into it from the medium lake at the very top of the screen, and there's the baby pool in the middle left. How much water do I really have? And how is the water resource number calculated then? Thanks.

D9D95B174BC4624A1D2BB5711A813F368450F71F

I didn't start with a great deal more than this in the biome, I've used maybe a third of it total. There's plenty of polluted water lakes out in the slime biome which I will tap into soon, but even then I doubt I could support a bristle farm if my numbers are correct.

15 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You are cooking the berries to gristle berries, right? You only need 3 blossoms per dupe in that case. Each dupe consumes 121kg of water per cycle living off gristle berries. 67.6kg in O2, 60kg in water to irrigate blossom, and 6.7kg is recycled waste from your dupes.

That roughly equal one tile of water per cycle for a colony of 8 dupes.

Thanks. I counted up the squares I have of water and it's 30 (ish). I have 7 dupes so maybe I could support a farm for 30 cycles. I have polluted water I can access, but I haven't even set up toilets, sinks, showers etc - and I haven't got electrolyzers yet, so all that water could vanish pretty quickly!

21 minutes ago, trukogre said:

water is 1000 kg a square, i'd call a decent sized lake around 20,000 kg of water.  If you have a few lakes that total 4,000 kg of water, I'd call those puddles, not lakes.

9 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Not completely sure but I think the resource list states how much water your pitcher and liquid pumps can currently see. As in the amount of water that covers the tiles they reach.

Maybe Saturnus is right, if you look at my screenshot and look at where the pump intakes are, and add the hand pump area that's immersed in water in the bottom and middle lake, 7 tiles could be about right - which would make the number 7 tons which is what its now listed as.

10 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

Maybe Saturnus is right, if you look at my screenshot and look at where the pump intakes are, and add the hand pump area that's immersed in water in the bottom and middle lake, 7 tiles could be about right - which would make the number 7 tons which is what its now listed as.

Your display lists the water available that's currently touching the pitcher pump, not the water on the map near you, so yes, saturnus is right as usual.

have you tried the ranching preview yet? seems making an egg farm for omelets is the most effective mid game food now.  In my base I breed up to 10 hatches and got all to 100% happiness.  Now I'm producing eggs so fast I had to uproot all my bristle blossoms to save room in my refrigerators.  I have 8 dupes and 10 hatches are keeping them well fed for now

34 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

have you tried the ranching preview yet? seems making an egg farm for omelets is the most effective mid game food now.  In my base I breed up to 10 hatches and got all to 100% happiness.  Now I'm producing eggs so fast I had to uproot all my bristle blossoms to save room in my refrigerators.  I have 8 dupes and 10 hatches are keeping them well fed for now

What do you feed the Hatches? Fertilizer?

On 3/12/2018 at 7:24 AM, chemie said:

They used to be 80 kg

Remember using farmer/greenhouse will effectively cut water in half again.  They are actually very water efficient when combined with wheat 

Ugh, 80 kg water/cycle...Those were dark times.  The only viable strategy was spamming meal lice everywhere and never cooking your food.  Things are better now.

In the occupational update, I like making berry sludge after I get my systems set up.  What's even more water efficient is frost buns (goes from 55 kg/cycle to 50 kg/cycle).  But frost buns are lower quality.  If you keep your wild pinchapepper plants alive, then 2 of them can feed 1 duplicant pepper bread, which is a quality 5 food, for the same 50 kg water/cycle.  My goal in a colony berry sludge and cook pepper bread on the side.

In the new system, I fear that it will be eggs and only eggs in the late game.

Archived