How to improve water cooling?

Would you help improve this setup to cool water?

Main pipe comes at 33°C from top right.

Loop pipe is at 25°3C (bottom, going back from the left to get another run in the cooler).

I know CO2 isn't the best coolant (it's even a good isolator) but

* I've got tons of it

* I need later to get H2

My question is :

why is this no efficient ?

It does not get colder than 25°C.

I tried a cascade of dripping with block, metal, gaz tiles but it looks even...

But top chamber is from -20C (top left) to 0C (bottom right)...

Last question : pression increase (1700 g now) so because PV=nRT, volume constant, T temp should increase too ?

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

CO² is likely the biggest problem here (though I expect not the only one), a Wheezewort will cool down by -12kW with Hydrogen but only -4.23kW with Carbon Dioxyde. H² isn't hard to get, you can find it in the wild or make your own with Electrolyzer.

5 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Last question : pression increase (1700 g now) so because PV=nRT, volume constant, T temp should increase too ?

Nope, game doesn't really handle pressure.

Wheezeworts have no chance in hell to cool water realistically. You either need to use aquatuner, or you need to use bug explots.

Aquatuner is obvious. If you have decent power generation, just chain enough aquatuners to get water to the temperature you need and cool them with e.g. polluted water which you're going to feed to your fertilizers synthesizers. Note that you only need to cool water for plants, and that's not a lot of water so the power usage is not that bad.

For bug exploits, you need to fill your room up - have some 9 tiles deep pool in it. Send most of your hot water straight to that pool, and only small amount of water around Wheezeworts so it gets cooled by cold air and then that cold drops fall onto the tiles on the pool level. As they'll slide over the water in the pool, they will cool the whole pool.

well, i encased my steam geyser into a 4x4 wall of insulated tile, above it i created a supercooled hydrogen chamber reaching up to -60c, once hydrogen temp is -50c or so replace the top portion of geyser room with gold metal tiles, from that point you have 2 ways of cooling water either you automate a door that will open only if the water is cold (pros: you can control the output water even up to 5c, cons will take a long time before it releases the water) or just open it up like this (pros, does not over pressurizes the geyser, cons water temp is at roughly 26c to 30c and hot steam may affect base if nearby)

NDSL4QW.jpg

Either use the exploity borg cube design, or use aqua tuner. Aqua tuner is favored by me a lot, you can hook a temp sensor up for it to avoid overheating, and try to cool it with various possible ways:

- surround with hydrogen and wheezeworts

- surround with hydrogen and use oil radiators (with cooled oil from either wheezewort farm or the artifact heat destroyer buildings)

- submerge in polluted water that the aquatuner heat will boil, capture the steam with only a small cooling as near-boiling water which you can use up with electolizers.

- submerge in oil then use the hot oil up

etc.

1 hour ago, Argelle said:

Sadly, there are no proper thermodynamics in the game yet.You can't cool or heat fluids with expansion or compression.

Thanks for all your tips :)

As Kasuha point out, the cold water is indeed only for my farm (water above 30°C is fine for everything else)

* main point = get hydrogen (work in progress)

* add tempshift plates

* use aquatuner (already tried, it burst out of heat, need to give it another try with water cooling)

* alternative : have a warm pool of water and colder water to drip into it (so my reclycling idea is rubbish)

* Lutzkhie's cooler: two weezeworts cooled H2 to -50°C?!? this compeate the heat coming from the geyser ?!?? amazing.

If I get it right, a room with two weezeworts and H2 can get so cold ?? So I can set up this little "cool" box anywhere I'm stuggling with heat?

* borg cube : not sure of the design, will use if the rest failed.

* petroleum ice machine (?)

* Sad news : pressure not related to temperature :( Avogadro reported turning in his own grave....

yup most likely, hydrogen chamber are like Anti Entropy Thermo nullifier except the temp wont spread unless its made of metal or noninsulated tiles, thats why you have to replace certain portion of it with metal tile to direct where you want the chilling temperature goes, AETN is quite helpful too if you can provide Hydrogen to it at only 10g/s 

A what?

Use of petroleum as a coolant to convert water to ice?

then, how do you cool with ice? ice statue?

(never read about this, but since I just reach an oil biome, I'll be interested for more details ;) )

23 minutes ago, Argelle said:

A what?

Use of petroleum as a coolant to convert water to ice?

then, how do you cool with ice? ice statue?

(never read about this, but since I just reach an oil biome, I'll be interested for more details ;) )

I've just finished putting together a very hacky one using debug mode and an old save, so it's not the best example but I'll write up a post on it

NG and Petroleum generators produce their outputs (polluted water, C02) at the temperature of the generator. If you cool the generator somehow (wheezeworts next to it, oil/hydrogen radiator, whatever), then the cooling effect is increased because it also makes those outputs come out colder; if you get under -20C, the polluted water will immediately freeze. You can use the cold polluted water/ice to cool whatever else you want.

image.thumb.png.062b32256e1cc14215c7fef17a2a2808.png

Like I said, it's a very hacked together build done in an old save. The thermoregulators cool hydrogen which cools the petroleum generators. The generators put out ice which is used to cool the thermoregulators and there is enough left-over ice to also cool my water treatment plant (which boils polluted water, cools geyser water and creates 0c ice water for wheezeworts). In fact that system takes significantly more ice than the thermoregulators and still has some left over (there is a lump of 40t of polluted ice sat under one of the petro generators).

In a proper build the thermoreg room would be directly adjacent to the power gen room so as to avoid heat leaking into your ice or ice melting in transit.

Archived