Berry Sludge farm

A few hundred cycles in, I finally decided to switch to some decent quality food for my duplicants and I want to share the result as I'm quite happy with it. What I ended up with is an overkill for my eight duplicants, my food stock skyrocketed from relatively stable ~30 kkcal to over 200 kkcal and rising so I guess I might invite some more duplicants soon and perhaps disable autoharvest on some plants to regulate the yield. Also the proportion of plants is not perfect, without any boosts 12 bristle berries and 10 sleet wheat should be on the spot, I chose 10:10 but there's plenty of things that can be done about it and due to the fact that there are delays for plants to get harvested or while they stay untended, it does not have to be perfect anyway.

I have a source of 25 C water (hot geyser water into series of five aquatuners) and I did not want to try and battle for water close to zero so I decided to have the sleet wheat part cooled with Worts and using the water to keep it from getting too cold instead.

Here's the farm:

NiHGEl6.jpg

There's a door that only lets the two farmers in (they're at different job right now but that doesn't prevent them being excellent farmers) and exosuit dock to keep them happy in CO2 atmosphere (and temperature fluctuations). The waterlock is simpler and less power hungry variant of tube access, it's sufficient to suppress heat and gas exchange and duplicants in exosuits don't mind it. It's filled with petroleum (freezing point -57 C so it won't freeze).

Temperature overlay:

Spoiler

9YILdtC.jpg

Worts provide cooling. They keep Sleet wheat below zero, cool the fertilizer coming in, and cool some hydrogen in pipes for conditioning of the bristle blossom upper floor.

Liquid piping:

Spoiler

EsII1gF.jpg

Since there were reported problems with too many inputs on the same pipe I chose to give each plant its own branch. I overdid it for bottom floor but I don't want to open the Wort chamber and go fixing it right now so it's going to stay this way. All pipes are abyssalite, the temperature of water (~25 C) is only applied when it enters farming tiles.

Gas piping:

Spoiler

AS3B9OS.jpg

Three pipes here, CO2 to keep the farm at pressure, and hydrogen to keep worts at pressure (2 kg/tile all). The closed loop is for cooling the upper floor - the bottom and top radiators are made of igneous rock, the remaining pipes are made of abyssalite. Most of the time the hydrogen is only cooled in the pipe, only occasionally the shutoff opens and lets some gas into the upper floor radiator to cool it down a bit.

Automation:

Spoiler

YdVm1TD.jpg

Nothing special here, the shutoff opens above 30 C at the ceiling.

Conveyor overlay:

Spoiler

8NpCJHy.jpg

Conveyor belt is coming from my fertilizer synthesizers so most cages contain only 4 kg of fertilizer. It gets cooled in the chamber from its initial ~40 C to the chamber's below freezing (actually much quicker than I originally thought, most of the meandering is not necessary) and then the two auto sweepers keep plants fertilized and the farming station stocked. I keep fertilizer out of reach of all my duplicants, all its processing (farm and Hatches) is automated.

If you find some inspiration here for your own future farm, enjoy and have fun!

Nice design, and doesn't use any cooling exploits, good job! So I guess auto-sweepers work through farm tiles, I thought they only worked through airflow or mesh tiles.

I have also been using berry sludges a lot lately, but then i my current game (also 8 dupes), I started to create sealed areas to harvest many wild pincha peppers and some sleet wheat (some sleet wheat is also domestically grown), and now I am almost exclusively baking stuffed berries and pepper bread (some berry sludge also for diversity). I am sitting on a constant amount of about 700 pincha peppernuts, and it seems to not go down, just with the wild harvests (there so many of them in the wild). And also sitting on more than 4000 sleet wheat grains, while I only grow 8 domestically. I never thought I could get so much just from wild harvests.  I know dupes lose time gathering them, but they don't have much else to do right now except exploring the remaining of the map.  ;)

45 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

So I guess auto-sweepers work through farm tiles, I thought they only worked through airflow or mesh tiles.

When using a Farm or Hydroponic Tile, you aren't actually delivering to the plant.  You are delivering to the Tile itself.  Farm and Hydroponic Tiles do not care what side they are input from, which is why this works.  It would work the same way for Peppers when you rotate the Tiles, getting fed from above.

1 minute ago, PhailRaptor said:

When using a Farm or Hydroponic Tile, you aren't actually delivering to the plant.  You are delivering to the Tile itself.  Farm and Hydroponic Tiles do not care what side they are input from, which is why this works.  It would work the same way for Peppers when you rotate the Tiles, getting fed from above.

makes sense, I remember dupes feeding pinchas from above the farm tiles. Good to know!

24 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

To my surprise, they feed the farming machine, too.

Nice man. My people get only the best food :D Pepperbread. hehe I have also the berry sludge, but that is only for an emergency.

20180223132444_1.thumb.jpg.e9a53ab716abcda0bdc54c7b348e12c3.jpg

20180223132448_1.thumb.jpg.b9462a57220a69773015d3aba80cf947.jpg

The base is symmetrical. Ok, most of the time... :D For the pepper plants i haven't not enough polluted water, because my petroleum generators are off at the moment. I switch between coal generators and petroleum from time to time, in order to collect enough coal through the hatches.

Can't understand why the most people just build the bad food. It's boring as hell.

PS: The Steam Generator is crap! I build one and yes, it works, but it's the most disappointing electric system in the history of oxygen not included.

it's weird, when I cook both pepper bread and stuffed berries, they seem too only eat the stuffed berries. I stopped producing pepper bread, and the amount stays the same. Same kind of thing seems to happen when I cook berry sludge, they seem to fallback to that. All my dupes currently have food expectations of 2. Do they think that higher quality food is too good for them or something?  lol  

EDIT: Ok I think I found a trick.  I put the 3 fridges with the 3 different types of food, the closest fridge to the entrance contains the highest quality food and the far one contains the lowest quality, seems to work, they now eat pepper bread.

image.thumb.png.b63c879904bd338ebeff0810466650a1.png

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Fun fact: Berry sludge doesn't spoil so you don't need to refrigerate or store in a sterile atmosphere 

yes but it can still get food poisoning on it. I keep all food and cooking ingredients in a chlorine room to make sure everything is clean. 

Just now, manu_x32 said:

yes but it can still get food poisoning on it. I keep all food and cooking ingredients in a chlorine room to make sure everything is clean. 

and if you have sinks in your lavatories and mess halls then food poisoning never is a problem in the first place 

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

and if you have sinks in your lavatories and mess halls then food poisoning never is a problem in the first place 

I don't have any sinks in my mess halls, never thought that would be useful. Always in lavatories for sure. But I don't like seeing germs in my fridges, so I just go with the germ killer solution. But that's only mid-late game. Early-mid game, fridges are all at the bottom of the base in a thick layer of co2.

Just now, manu_x32 said:

I don't have any sinks in my mess halls, never thought that would be useful. Always in lavatories for sure. But I don't like seeing germs in my fridges, so I just go with the germ killer solution. But that's only mid-late game. Early-mid game, fridges are all at the bottom of the base in a thick layer of co2.

early game people aren't making berry sludge lol

2 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

I really don't see what your point has to do with what I was saying, are you messing with me or something!?  Anyways, this is all getting off topic.

I thought we started this conversation about my fun fact? not messing with you in fact I also use CO2 early game to keep my food and crops fresh

Personally I find it easier to heat up a room for Pincha Peppers than it is to cool for Sleet Wheat so I tend to go for Stuffed berries as my first high quality food

Wouldn't it be easier to grow the sleetwheat and the bristle blossoms in separate farms?  They require quite different environments. 

I believe the perfect proportion is 6 bristle blossoms to 5 sleetwheats assuming they are either all boosted or all not boosted.  Berry sludge is (I think) the best food because it doesn't spoil, it is high quality, and it only takes 55 kg water/cycle (unboosted).  Frost bun is 50 kg/cycle and pepper bread with wild free pinchapepper is also 50 kg/cycle (assuming fertilizer is already being made as part of the power systems).

On pinchapepper plants:  I just let pinchapepper grow wild and never dig them up unless I have to.  It produces pincha pepper nuts for free!  Using pepper bread, I can feed 1 dupe pepper bread with 2 wild pincha pepperplant without consuming any extra resources.  They are so many pincha pepper plants out there that it can provide a lot of free food.  In my map, there are at least 36 pinchapepper plants in the biomes directly around my base, and there are many other biomes out there.  I keep as many wild plants alive as possible except balm lilly and thimble reed because I can grow balm lilly for free and thimble reed is replantable.

I personally don't like growing domestic pinchapepper plants because they don't add calorie value to food and they consume water, on top of the phosphorite being a non-renewable resource.

31 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Wouldn't it be easier to grow the sleetwheat and the bristle blossoms in separate farms?  They require quite different environments. 

They grow fine in my farm, I don't see a problem. And since things are so nicely close to each other, my farmers don't need to run a lot from farm to farm when a plant decides it wants something.

32 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I believe the perfect proportion is 6 bristle blossoms to 5 sleetwheats

Yeah the theoretical one, assuming harvesting and plant care takes no time from when the plant needs it to when it's applied. But since these are real time delays, the actual optimum deviates from that. You could easily add two more blossoms in my farm too but I don't think there's point doing that when what I actually need is to reduce my yield or I'll drown in berry sludge.

4 hours ago, BT_20 said:

@Lifegrow my bases usually go into the thousands of cycles so I can’t be bothered to build a farm and just have it become obsolete later because I’ve run out of phosphorus.

I never grow them, but there is so many in the wild that you can totally be sustainable with just the wild ones if you can afford the dupes gathering time. For my 8 dupes colony at cycle 768, I have about 30 set to auto-harvest, and my peppernut  stocks don't go down. It's the first time I try this, and am amazed at how much I can get from it. If I need all my dupes time, I can just remove auto-harvest and fallback to berry sludge.  ;)

9 hours ago, BT_20 said:

@Lifegrow my bases usually go into the thousands of cycles so I can’t be bothered to build a farm and just have it become obsolete later because I’ve run out of phosphorus.

Well you've more patience than me then buddy - but i'd still imagine you have enough phosphorite to last thousands of cycles, especially paired with what @manu_x32 pointed out above anyway. Add some of the other food groups to the equation and you're golden forever :) 

I'm currently living off mushrooms, berry sludge and eventually i'll make some frost buns too just for bulk.

Never played a ONI session with thousands of cycles. Most of the time at round about 700 cycles I have a great base, all researched, all buildings build and the game ends in that moment. The problem that ONI still has is, we haven't goals. Each of us can make there own goals, yes, but without a "real" story goal it isn't the same. And thousands of cycles playing with the same base gets boring in my opinion. Plus the problem if the game update will be released your base is ****** :shock:

And phosphorus.... I have build really large pepper plants plant gene. Each plant needs 2,5 KG of thousands of Kilograms/tons on the map. If u get problems, then this are not phosphorus.

22 hours ago, BT_20 said:

Looking around my map, the lowest amount of mass I can find in a tile of phosphorite is 300-something kg.  You'll lose half of that when you mine it, so that's a worst case scenario of 150 kg of phosphorite from a single tile, enough to fertilize a single pincha pepper plant for 150 days.  Given the number of phosphorite tiles on a map and remembering that they often contain 600, 700, and in some cases as much as 800 kg of mass, you should have more than enough to grow pincha peppers even if your colony runs into the thousands of cycles.

39 minutes ago, goboking said:

Looking around my map, the lowest amount of mass I can find in a tile of phosphorite is 300-something kg.  You'll lose half of that when you mine it, so that's a worst case scenario of 150 kg of phosphorite from a single tile, enough to fertilize a single pincha pepper plant for 150 days.  Given the number of phosphorite tiles on a map and remembering that they often contain 600, 700, and in some cases as much as 800 kg of mass, you should have more than enough to grow pincha peppers even if your colony runs into the thousands of cycles.

The point of building a fully sustainable base is building it in a way that it can keep going for millions of cycles the way you left it, even though you won't really play it for that long. Since the game has no clear goal as of now, going for eternal sustainability is one of choces.

Archived