Why I think Woodie is okay where he is

There's a pretty strong agreement with a lot of people who browse the forums that say Woodie needs some buffs to make him better. While I'm all for buffing characters that need them (*cough* willow *grunt*) I think Woodie is okay where he is right now.

Maybe slight changes, but some people want his whole playstyle changed, and that's pretty drastic. I do agree that Werebeaver should be a little better to play, as I've seen several screenshots about how terrible the insanity overlay looks when transformed. The insanity overlay should be removed from the werebeaver so that way Woodie can actually see what's hitting him in Winter. But past that, I think there isn't a lot that needs to be done with him.

Many people argue that Maxwell is simply better than Woodie is in every way, state, and form. And I agree when it comes to resource gathering: Maxwell can chop, dig, and mine faster than Woodie thanks to his shadows. Hell, he can even farm Nightmare Fuel easily with the Double Duelist and Worker shadows. However, whenever I think about it, I honestly prefer Woodie over Maxwell.

Woodie having double the health of Maxwell is already a huge bonus, as he can make more mistakes in combat without as much consequence. Some people even love the idea of having a companion such as Lucy, who makes the experience feel a little less alone, which is probably one of the same reasons people like Wendy so much. And while people argue that his Werebeaver form is terrible, I can think of a great use for it: Caves. The fact that he not only has nightvision, but also doesn't need to eat makes it an excellent tool for mapping out the caves. Although this point's been made before, so I won't go into detail.

His axe, Lucy, may not seem terribly useful as first. It's an infinite axe, that chops faster with less swings. Maxwell's got more than that. However, I argue that Lucy is actually a very nice tool for a specific boss, Toadstool. With Lucy, you don't need Weather Pains to get rid of the trees quickly, as Woodie can just do it himself. It's niche, sure, but it's there. Woodie also won't ever find himself without something to hit something with, either, despite Lucy basically being a Walking Cane without the speed boost when it comes to combat.

Maybe it has something to do with me starting in DST rather than DS, but I prefer his DST incarnate rather than how he was before. Klei wasn't afraid of character balance back then, and it showed. DST Woodie just feels more fair to play, as you can't survive whole seasons just by transforming like you were able to in DS.

I know this opinion isn't a popular one, and I'm open to criticism about this. I'm not saying Woodie is better than Maxwell, as I agree, Maxwell is a better character if you want a more complex playstyle. But I don't think Woodie needs significant changes (other than the sanity overlay, that's just not fair to Woodie). He's a much simpler, more relaxed playstyle.

inb4 every reaction to this post is the sad reaction

also @Brikelz did help me with this, give him some attention

10 hours ago, Starlogy said:

And while people argue that his Werebeaver form is terrible, I can think of a great use for it: Caves. The fact that he not only has nightvision, but also doesn't need to eat makes it an excellent tool for mapping out the caves. Although this point's been made before, so I won't go into detail.

Wicker + Wx-78 = caves ez pz with no risk of dying because of error...and sweet old lady x robo love.

His axe, Lucy, may not seem terribly useful as first. It's an infinite axe, that chops faster with less swings. Maxwell's got more than that. However, I argue that Lucy is actually a very nice tool for a specific boss, Toadstool. With Lucy, you don't need Weather Pains to get rid of the trees quickly, as Woodie can just do it himself. It's niche, sure, but it's there.

Flingo-matics.

Woodie also won't ever find himself without something to hit something with, either, despite Lucy basically being a Walking Cane without the speed boost when it comes to combat.

I must admit, I do love having her with me whenever I don't have a hambat or glocking cane in the starting days for butterflies.

5 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

and sweet old lady x robo love.

Electric is the love

6 hours ago, Starlogy said:

Maybe it has something to do with me starting in DST rather than DS, but I prefer his DST incarnate rather than how he was before. Klei wasn't afraid of character balance back then, and it showed. DST Woodie just feels more fair to play, as you can't survive whole seasons just by transforming like you were able to in DS.

I have a hard time deciding which Woodie sucks more, imo. In DS you can't chop more than a couple of trees. If you do it, you'll transform. Usually you just want to do some little chopping, but transformation means day skip and bad stats on wake up. Also going back to pick up items. Because of this you need to plan your actions carefully.
 You can't really do much on fullmoons other than chop and mine, later you have to pick this all up manually. You need lureplant to pick glommer's flower.
 Woodie literally has no endgame perks, his curse is just a burden in DS.

5 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

Flingo-matics.

Real pros cover whole space with tooth traps smh lol...

It's fine if Wolfgang has 2x damage, Wigfrid has 1.25x damage and defense, WX-78 can have 300+ base statistics, Abigail can demolish all weak mobs and Wickerbottom can mass spawn food.

But a towering beaver man with the combat prowess of an average person in wood armour, a warrior conjured from pure nightmares that can survive more then three hits from a wolf, a pyromaniac that is empowered by pyro or a mechanic that can repair more then common clothes.

That's just crossing the line of reason, we can't have any of this nonsense in our game.

As a person who really likes Woodie and primarily the Werebeaver aspect, I respectfully disagree.  Werebeaver form is hot garbage compared to your other options in going into the caves because, as already mentioned, WX and Wick exist.  Other reasons not to use Werebeaver are: the sanity overlay sucks, there's no way to heal, he only has 25% damage reduction and does as much damage as an axe, and the amount of work you can do for your team is heavily limited by the beaver bar.  While I understand the whole thing is meant to prevent Woodie griefers, anyone playing Maxwell or anyone with a torch can do much more damage.  Werebeaver in DST feels a lot more like a de-buff, and while people say "It's a curse", remember this is a game, and in games you're supposed to have fun, which many agree Werebeaver isn't.  The only reason I play Werebeaver is because I like the concept that damn much, but I'll straight up admit he's really awful.  Woodie himself isn't much either unfortunately, and I feel Klei should take another swing at it because the idea has a lot of potential, but poor execution.

EDIT: Also, the Werebeaver can't enter and exit the caves.  It's a set of stairs, why can't he use it?

4 hours ago, landromat said:

Lucy has regular chopping speed, but Woodie chopping speed is doubled

Lucy actually has a 2x work rate at chopping. While Lucy doesn't physically chop faster by swinging each hit she makes to a tree counts as two. Due to this if you want to turn into a beaver using a regular/gold axe makes you transform quicker. (As non lucy axes work at a 1x rate requiring more hits to fall a tree.)

Woodie's lumberjack perk is a separate bonus (increasing his swing speed against tree's) but the Lucy double work rate trait is technically a separate perk with both of these stacking for even faster wood cutting. The average player won't know this without digging into the game files (or using a mod allowing other characters to wield Lucy) as it is never really noticeable unless you use a different axe as Woodie. (And why would anyone? Woodie spawns with Lucy and she has infinite durability.)

1 hour ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

Lucy actually has a 2x work rate at chopping. While Lucy doesn't physically chop faster by swinging each hit she makes to a tree counts as two. Due to this if you want to turn into a beaver using a regular/gold axe makes you transform quicker. (As non lucy axes work at a 1x rate requiring more hits to fall a tree.)

Woodie's lumberjack perk is a separate bonus (increasing his swing speed against tree's) but the Lucy double work rate trait is technically a separate perk with both of these stacking for even faster wood cutting. The average player won't know this without digging into the game files (or using a mod allowing other characters to wield Lucy) as it is never really noticeable unless you use a different axe as Woodie. (And why would anyone? Woodie spawns with Lucy and she has infinite durability.)

i figured it out when tried to use Pick/axe on Woodie

Archived