Have Chlorine Be More Realistic

Last night I watched a show called "I Survived" and it talked about a train crash that released Chlorine gas. I never knew just how dangerous Chlorine really was until I saw this. What Chlorine gas is able to do is; damages lungs, melt metals, and when it comes into contact with water turns into Sulfuric Acid. Now I'm not expecting Klei to get this detailed with Chlorine gas slowly corroding metals, but at the bare minimum Dupes should become injured from heavy exposure.

I think and hope they will eventually make prolonged exposure to chlorine harmful to dupes.  Doing so would mean every biome presents an environmental hazard to careless exploration and reckless expansion.  We'd have slime lung from the slime biome, hypothermia from the cold biome, heat exhaustion from the oil biome, and a chemical burn from the purple biome.  They could even add a hazmat suit to the Textile Loom to retard/nullify the risk of chemical burn if they so desire.

Germ system fits perfectly for biological and chemical hazards. I would suggest that chlorine had "chlorine burn" germs that have their own way of behavior - that live and thrieve in chlorine, cause chlorine burn and dissipate really fast in anything else than chlorine. Same apply to "radiation" germs - severe influence on dupes and living organisms, long decay time, multiplays in radioactives.. etc

The idea is, that duplicants do not breathe at all, when they are in an unbreathable atmosphere. I too, thought, that when I first digged to the outer borders of the starting area, my duplicants would get harmed by it, but I was surprised when they just behaved in it just like they do in Carbon Dioxide. They just hold their breath. 

It's really weird, when you think about it, all duplicants are aware at all times what the atmosphere they are currently in consists of and hold their breath accordingly (even in their sleep).

I thought, that the main purpose of exosuits was, to let duplicants explore chlorine filled areas and to prevent chlorine to get into your main base at all times, because that would be certain death for the duplicants. Turns out I was wrong. I really feel like that would be a much more interesting game mechanic and approach to chlorine gas.

17 hours ago, vonVile said:

Last night I watched a show called "I Survived" and it talked about a train crash that released Chlorine gas. I never knew just how dangerous Chlorine really was until I saw this. What Chlorine gas is able to do is; damages lungs, melt metals, and when it comes into contact with water turns into Sulfuric Acid. Now I'm not expecting Klei to get this detailed with Chlorine gas slowly corroding metals, but at the bare minimum Dupes should become injured from heavy exposure.

The gas is actually marked as "Toxic" and "Burns" in the files, I think the gas will become lethal as it is in real life but at the moment the systems for that are unimplemented, same goes for Hydrogen and Natural Gas showing as Flammable.

9 hours ago, Ilmu011 said:

The idea is, that duplicants do not breathe at all, when they are in an unbreathable atmosphere.

Chlorine can cause pretty severe burns and poisoning through skin and eyes.

It would be enough if chlorine did the same thing as hot fluids: minor scalding damage for as long as dupes stay in, but no lasting effects.

Though there is no real need to nerf chlorine. It is pretty useless, only countering germs on items, which is a tiny fraction of all germs. At the moment it's enough that it displaces more useful gases and wilts plants.

7 hours ago, BlueLance said:

same goes for Hydrogen and Natural Gas showing as Flammable.

This is something I'm looking forward too.  I'd love it if combustible gases could catch fire under certain conditions.  Having a Firefight job and/or a sprinkler system to combat flames before my space colony burns to the ground sounds fun.

Archived