Succession Colony Interest Check

Checking to see if there would be enough interest here to support a succession colony.

In case you're unfamiliar with the concept, succession games involve a series of players downloading the save, playing the game for a period and then passing it on to the next overseer in line. The most well known example is probably Boatmurdered.

Succession games mean any plans a player might have go out the window when their turn ends. In the case of ONI, I'd set the turn length to 20 or 25 cycles or 1 real-time week, whichever comes first. Depending on the game in question, this can result in anything from a challenging and chaotic colony to complete and entertaining disaster.

The best succession games are narrated thoroughly by each overseer, with screenshots and diary entries describing the events of the game and the unfolding narrative of the colony in detail. I won't expect that level of detail from players here, but I'd hope to get at least some feedback from each overseer about how their turn is going.

An additional tradition of the dwarf fortress forums is dwarfing, wherein dwarfs in the fortress are named after forum goers who want to be involved, but don't want an overseership. Same thing here: if you want a dupe named after you, just say so.

And finally, assuming this goes ahead, should the thread be posted here or over on the Art, Music and Lore board?

Okay, a bit of interest then. I can work with that. A few questions:

Anyone willing to volunteer to take turn 2?

What difficulty settings should I start the game with? I'm thinking Miserable/Fatalistic because these things are at their most entertaining when they're gradually descending into disaster and despair, but I'm a bit worried that might scare some players away.

Should I pick dupes for efficient stats, randomise them, or deliberately pick lumps? And should I name them after people who show up in the thread regardless of whether they've asked for a dupe, or only name dupes on request?

Sure count me in for this, sounds like fun, and I'd say regular difficulty so as not to see the colony fail after the first couple passes given some people {like myself} are still rather new to the game, and will probably see a group of fatalistic/miserable dupes perish somewhat quickly. :p

As for the rest, efficient or random sounds fine to me, and naming dupes after people who show up in this thread would certainly add to the fun factor!

Until the first griefer will appear you'll play normal, and after "don't starve together" I  know that we have a lot of them. 

19 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Is it allowed, to wreck the colony?

I think we alredy know your plans...

22 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Is it allowed, to wreck the colony?

It's the only way to win! Since ONI doesn't have an end goal, the best you can hope for is to die in the most spectacular manner possible.

With that said, deliberately killing off most of the dupes or leaving the game in an unwinnable situation is being a jerk. Providing challenges and/or activating timed doomsday devices for your successors to overcome (or not) is all part of a succession game, but don't be a jerk.

Alright, I think I have enough overseers (going by people who have explicitly stated they're in) to start this thing up.

Turn list

QuQuasar

Lady Wolflyn

thewreckedangle

51 minutes ago, thewreckedangle said:

hah! I'm actually really excited about this. are there rules about the story part? do they have to remain the same personality/speech pattern when we do our documentation?

I'd heavily doubt it, the point is each overseer is a different person.  Some may be ardent rule followers that log everything, some may be major believers in the theory of "let it go, let it go, let it go," while others would be madmen who should have never seen a pen, let alone power of others.

5 hours ago, thewreckedangle said:

hah! I'm actually really excited about this. are there rules about the story part? do they have to remain the same personality/speech pattern when we do our documentation?

Not really. Your character is your own: write them how you see fit. Currently we're seeing everything through Quasar's eyes, and she's a straightlaced character, so she's probably self-censoring anyone else's weird accents or quirks for the sake of her own sanity.

(Edit)

First turn is complete! Lady Wolflyn, you're up. Save file can be found here:

Disasterpile

Excellent, I hope to get electrolysis set up and the sanitation properly sorted during my brief tenure as overseer and ideally leave things in a stable state for the poor sod who follows in my footsteps. :p

{Ideally it's looking like tomorrow will be when I have the time block available to play, so expect my update log/screenshots and such to happen then.}

It would add a cool and fun twist to it if each overseeer is actually role playing one of the dupes.

Imagine the dupes having a rotational leadership.  You then have to Roleplay the dupe based upon their characteristics as best as you can.

If the dupe you are role-playing meets and unfortunate end, then you move to the next dupe in the leadership rotation.

It does mean that you have to set up a leadership roster and maintain it as the number of dupes changes.

Archived