Smart battery available (TB-24760) [update]

Smart battery is semifinished now. Some displays are wrong, and some settings might change in official release.

I can't guarantee no side effects, and your save might be unusable in the next official upgrade.

Please don't abuse smart batteries to replace your normal batteries!

Spoiler

Copy Assembly-CSharp.dll to:

Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\Managed

(Please backup original file)

Now smart batteries can be built without debug mode.

2.png.71a1d12885160f2c5de47bad2d2f522c.png1.png.85e5d56fe395f8968d4c398e98a742f6.png

I made some code corrections. If you have downloaded the old one, please update it.

I strongly disapprove. I do not believe in adding buildings that to game the developers don't think should be there at the moment, for whatever reason, as a viable modding route as it breaks the principle of you being able to share a build with others or demonstrate a functionality without them having to have the same.

The currently available mod on the forum only modifies existing buildings in a way that is reproducible for players without it. 

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

I strongly disapprove. I do not believe in adding buildings that to game the developers don't think should be there at the moment, for whatever reason, as a viable modding route as it breaks the principle of you being able to share a build with others or demonstrate a functionality without them having to have the same.

The currently available mod on the forum only modifies existing buildings in a way that is reproducible for players without it. 

I dunno.  A building the mods don't approve of is one thing, but your supporting logic rules out additional buildings as mods completely.  I think we should support mods, whether they add buildings, change rules, add features etc.  A game community is really vibrant if it allows players to make their own maps and mods easily, it keeps players playing longer.  This is good for the game devs because it continues to generate positive buzz, and keeps knowledgeable players around to answer questions for noobs.

Just now, donutman07 said:

I dunno.  A building the mods don't approve of is one thing, but your supporting logic rules out additional buildings as mods completely. 

No. Mods and community developed add-ons are fine, if required, once the game is actually released out of early access stage.

2 minutes ago, Clonefarmer said:

How is the smart battery different from the regular battery? Is it in debug mode?

Y'know how people are asking for a battery sensor? A sensor that'll shut of generators when the battery's sufficiently full? Well that's what the smart battery essentially is.

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Y'know how people are asking for a battery sensor? A sensor that'll shut of generators when the battery's sufficiently full? Well that's what the smart battery essentially is.

So it shuts of generator when battery charge is 100%. What happens at 99%? does it turn back on?

It seems a bit too cheap. With a rock crusher you could make 2 of these with the same material cost as a standard battery.

Since this is replacing both a battery and a fair amount of automation components(at the very least) it would make sense if the cost was 250 refined metal or perhaps even higher.

As it stands, this doesn't give you any reason to ever build a standard battery.

Alternatively, make it a 15kj storage.

9 minutes ago, Logicsol said:

It seems a bit too cheap. With a rock crusher you could make 2 of these with the same material cost as a standard battery.

Yeah. Not only is it in my opinion a bad idea but it's a really lousy implementation. At the very least it should have same material cost as a standard battery but from refined metal. At the very least.

Optimally it should have the cost of a standard battery but in refined metal AND only hold as much charge as a tiny battery. 

19 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Yeah. Not only is it in my opinion a bad idea but it's a really lousy implementation. At the very least it should have same material cost as a standard battery but from refined metal. At the very least.

Optimally it should have the cost of a standard battery but in refined metal AND only hold as much charge as a tiny battery. 

I was thinking 250 because refined metal has an opportunity cost that goes along with it.

Either method of production has severe costs, crushing causes a 50% loss making 250kg equivalent to 500 kg, while refining make the material cost cheap, but instead imposes significant energy and heat costs.

A 400kg refined cost and a 10kj capcity seems too steep.

At that point you've got several costs in, Footprint(4x vs 2x for same storage), Heat/material, and energy. That said, this is still a lot cheaper than building the automation circuit for it, but you only need one of those per bank. The smart battery would spread the cost out per battery, and even with only 50 per battery going to offset the cost saving for this, that adds up.

So maybe a 20kj capacity. You'd still need to make twice as many to get the same capacity at that point. So Joule per joule, the material cost (sans the extra 50 kg for offsetting the automation parts) would be the same weight wise if using a refiner.

I think that would be a pretty balanced implementation. 250kg refined, 20kj capacity.

Well. The thing is. You also only need one smart battery per battery bank so it really doesn't matter how steep the cost is.

As it is right now then no one in their right mind would ever consider building regular batteries at all. So they're obviously way too OP.

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Well. The thing is. You also only need one smart battery per battery bank so it really doesn't matter how steep the cost is.

As it is right now then no one in their right mind would ever consider building regular batteries at all. So they're obviously way too OP.

I was thinking that reducing their capacity would force you to build the entire bank out of them. Otherwise they would trigger the shutoff  when they were full, leaving all the normal batteries at partial capacity.

Of course, you could just build more normal batteries then to offest that. It's still raise the overall material costs, but that really seems like an non-ideal way to do things.

With that in mind, it'd probably be best if they were left at 40kj but had a 600kg refined material cost.

37 minutes ago, Logicsol said:

Since this is replacing both a battery and a fair amount of automation components(at the very least) it would make sense if the cost was 250 refined metal or perhaps even higher.

As it stands, this doesn't give you any reason to ever build a standard battery.

Alternatively, make it a 15kj storage.

Smart battery is semifinished now. Some setting might be wrong, and some might change in the future.

The mass of smart battery is 1200 according to code, so I guess it is designed to cost 1200kg refine metal (might change in official release). But it only costs 100kg in building menu. I tried fixing it, but I failed. Please don't abuse it.

I should add the explanation.

This dll file will failure in the next upgrade, if we still don't have smart battery, I will try fixing it again.

But I should repair my poor laptop first.

Archived