A way to automate the Coal Generator (glitch?)

Hello,

I've found a way to shut off the Coal Generator when the batteries are full with the Automation. I use the weigh plate/manual generator as a sensor to scope my battery and only trigger the signal to close the door. Here's the set up :

coal1.thumb.png.0555e11ba10ff4272ef6e4ddce2e6c86.png

When my batteries are lowest than X% a Duplicant come to the Manual Generator and by going inside it, it's turn off the wheel and button and the Dup leave it instantly. To keep the signal I've put a Filter that maintain the door closed X sec and allow the Coal Generator to transfer his energy.

When the door is open, the Coal Generator is stopped and don't consume it coal.

coal2.thumb.png.92613cb5f062b93fac02d77782dfd46c.png

Here's the automation set up :

coal3.thumb.png.630a284ee28b88fb134a6bdbdedb7c94.png

Wheel and button are connected as well Dup is only there to trigger the button not to run inside.

coal4.thumb.png.f7133a0161a9402bc47a199c4a6b2e4e.png

The Wheel is connected to the batteries only to scope their charge level and tell to Dup, if necessary to trigger the button.

coal5.thumb.png.bfce8cba3584fe3853ac712c9900a636.png

The button is activated by default to allow Dup to go inside the wheel. It get off when the Dup is inside.

coal6.thumb.png.7702a26f3cb8f6d58d793b1ca6df1b64.png

The buffer time turn on the Coal Generator for few seconds, as well it don't use Coal on batteries when they're full.

My question is : is it a glitch to use the door to turn off the Coal Generator?

I don't think it is a glitch.  Mechanized airlocks and manual airlocks are solid surfaces.  If it is a bug, I would like to know too.

I knew you could build on doors, but I hadn't considered using them to disable a building.  Cool!  Maybe you could improve it by making the door vertical so that dupes can still traverse the gap.  It only takes one missing tile for a building to stop working and you should still be able to build on it.

4 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I knew you could build on doors, but I hadn't considered using them to disable a building. 

What? You mean to say you've never temperature controlled wheezeworts? That trick is a-n-c-i-e-n-t.

Oh, and you can only build on sideways doors so you have to have a tile below if you want dupes to cross the gap.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

What? You mean to say you've never temperature controlled wheezeworts? That trick is a-n-c-i-e-n-t.

Oh, and you can only build on sideways doors so you have to have a tile below if you want dupes to cross the gap.

lol, I was using doors for machinery but never thought of using it for wheezeworths, thanks a lot! 

By the way, I'm pretty sure dupes can walk on horizontal doors wither they are open or not, not need for extra tiles.

I am unsure why you would want to disable the coal generator with a door because if I'm not mistaken they have the same power sensing line that a manual generator dose thus meaning they don't overproduce unless it is on a high precent.

35 minutes ago, BT_20 said:

I am unsure why you would want to disable the coal generator with a door because if I'm not mistaken they have the same power sensing line that a manual generator dose thus meaning they don't overproduce unless it is on a high precent.

Ish, their power sensing line isn't about them powering batteries but about at what battery level the duplicants refill the coal generator.

I usually put wheezeworts in places that I want as cold as possible.  Normally, I just put them down and don't worry because there are so many heat sources that they can't keep up anyway.

Also, you can totally build on vertical doors.

B3B7A0CCB782DAD17615FD51AE5BF246787F086A

838816745D4C0C7C114CF283F5B5CF1666E4459F

Kabrute is right that you don't have to plug in the doors to the power grid.  I bet in the future, we will have to plug them in though.  But I think they will only consume a little power when opening and closing rather than constantly pulling power, kind of like exosuits, only pulling power for a short time.  Keeping a door open should consume no power. 

I would say half the fun of ONI is exploring the physics of the world.

Archived