ONI farming - yield question

This is an amazing game - I love it :) I'm still learning etc & I have one question (and I can't find an answer anywhere...)

On youtube guides about ONI farming, like:

there are shown difrent types / levels of "yield". When I play I can't find any information about that in game. Was that removed or something?

2 minutes ago, osefcomplet said:

@Saturnus if you reduce the flow of water needed by your farms using liquid valves any food is sustainable.

Well no. I specifically said high quality food. And all other high quality foods than fried mushrooms rely on pincha peppers. Pincha peppers requires phosphorite fertilzer which is non-renewable.

10 minutes ago, osefcomplet said:

1kg/cycle/plant... every maps got enough for at least 1000 cycles, it is not renewable but close enough to have fun with it.

I find that I run out after 200-300 cycles with 16 dupes eating stuffed berries. That's with digging up all phosphorite on the map.

1 minute ago, voyager156 said:

Thank You all for the answer! Anyone know why it was rolled back?

Nobody cared about it. And it was generally just a nuisance.

57 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I find that I run out after 200-300 cycles with 16 dupes eating stuffed berries. That's with digging up all phosphorite on the map.

You need roughly 12 pincha/dupe to make stuffed berries. If I remember well I have ~150 tonnes au phosphorite in my stock and I don't think I dug half my map (tell me if I'm crazy I might remember badly and I don't have the game right now), for 16 dupes that make ~800 cycles. And if you go for the pepper bread you get 1600.

22 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

Generally speaking I don't actively farm the items that require specific needs, instead I have the dupes put them in native areas and let them grow slow for free.........

Natural farming? That used to be somewhat sustainable in AU but it's not now.

22 minutes ago, osefcomplet said:

You need roughly 12 pincha/dupe to make stuffed berries. If I remember well I have ~150 tonnes au phosphorite in my stock and I don't think I dug half my map (tell me if I'm crazy I might remember badly and I don't have the game right now), for 16 dupes that make ~800 cycles. And if you go for the pepper bread you get 1600.

I did a couple of sample worlds. There's about 8 times more phosphorite than I remembered. About 380-400 tonnes on average.

Regardless of the exact amount it still makes it non-renewable and therefore not sustainable. It is not like sand where even if you run out of naturally occurring sand you can basically make infinitely more.

You'll run out of possible water supplies long before you run out of phosphorite, so with anything else than fried msuhrooms you'll be dupe limited. With fried mushrooms, you're only limited by the number of pufts on the map. As I recall each puft makes enough slime to sustain farms for 2.33 dupes.

I dislike the fact that mealwood is so incredibly efficient, while all the other food sources require much more sophistication, but have a very small payoff (if any). So anything above mealwood becomes a "Since I have solved all the real problems, I can spoil my dupes with nicer food now."-thing.

It would be easy to for example set a hardcap on dupe leveling based on nutrition.

45 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Regardless of the exact amount it still makes it non-renewable and therefore not sustainable. It is not like sand where even if you run out of naturally occurring sand you can basically make infinitely more.

Given that they are in a meteorite which is not the safest place, I will let them enjoy their time and give good food instead of infinite unbalanced ****e to my dupes  :D (If I play for more than 1000 cycles it is easy to go back to mealwood anyway)

51 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I dislike the fact that mealwood is so incredibly efficient, while all the other food sources require much more sophistication

I agree with you, but their last patch on agriculture was so bad, I prefer that one. The leveling cap is a good idea you should post it in the suggestions forum.

38 minutes ago, TheOlz said:

It's easy enough to grow sleet wheat and live off frost buns.

Water and fertilizer are both renewable.

But not much better than raw mealwood food quality wise. Fried mushrooms is the only truly renewable food with a positive food quality*. That's why I use it.

*Note: I can't remember the food quality of raw bristle berries on top of my head but I seem to recall it's -1 in which case it's a better choice than frost buns as well.

Archived