Use caution with piping loops and metal refineries

12 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Is there any valid reason for deliberately heating liquid except for killing off the germs?

polluted water turn to clean water, killing germs, controlled temperature room.. just something i thought of out of my mind with it

2 hours ago, Tobruk said:

Is there any valid reason for deliberately heating liquid except for killing off the germs?

There are a massive number of valid reasons for deliberately heating liquid.  Many of the best reasons (phase changes--most notably crude oil to natural gas which gives approximately 4000% more power gram IIRC, cheaper refining), need even more heating than the refinery can apparently provide--although the refinery could get your halfway there which is potentially useful.  Some other valid reasons might include melting ice, providing a comfortable environment for certain crops, and even heating your base if you play on the Helicona world.

I just wanted to make a thread about it. I got it to gassify petroleum. Gassified petroleum is below scalding threshold for atmo suit, meaning it can be relatively safe (for dupes, but not for pumps).

If someone could get magma into pipes, it could probably be used to make rock gas. I don't see a good reason to produce rock gas other than bragging rights, though.

3 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

I just wanted to make a thread about it. I got it to gassify petroleum. Gassified petroleum is below scalding threshold for atmo suit, meaning it can be relatively safe (for dupes, but not for pumps).

If someone could get magma into pipes, it could probably be used to make rock gas. I don't see a good reason to produce rock gas other than bragging rights, though.

could you clarify what you're saying here?  What is "it".  Is 'gassified petroleum' natural gas or something else, i thought i remembered testing it and petroleum evaporated into natural gas.

Just now, trukogre said:

could you clarify what you're saying here?  What is "it".  Is 'gassified petroleum' natural gas or something else, i thought i remembered testing it and petroleum evaporated into natural gas.

Yeah, it's just natural gas. I didn't specify because gassification is the important part here, not the resulting material.

44 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Yeah, it's just natural gas. I didn't specify because gassification is the important part here, not the resulting material.

The resulting material is actually very important here, as natural gas is by far the best power to mass fuel in the game, roughly 4000% better than petroleum.  As I've been saying in these forums since the Oil Update, if a reasonable method for turning crude oil directly into natural gas was ever discovered, Klei would either have to totally rebalance that or live with players having easy access to nearly unlimited power.  1 oil well, converted directly into natural gas, renewably supplies 55 natural gas generators, which generate almost a steam geyser's worth of water(though polluted) during operation, as well as enough co2, that if you had enough slicksters, would power yet another 55 natural gas generators, which would etc....remember that 1 oil well, in the traditional fashion, supplies only rouhgly half of one petroleum generator's requirements.  The contrast between half of a petroleum generator, and 55 NGG"s, is fairly important, wouldn't you agree?  How did you get it to evaporate petroleum?  The other poster here said his output topped at below 300 C?

3 minutes ago, ICKA said:

I thought if you have a phase change in pipes it breaks the pipe there and leaks out whatever changed phases? Is there a work around for this?

There are workarounds for other machines and others fluids, certainly.  There are many notable phase change devices, po2 condensers, ph20 boilers, etc  The workaround generally involves having the phase change occur not inside a pipe :)

35 minutes ago, trukogre said:

How did you get it to evaporate petroleum?  The other poster here said his output topped at below 300 C?

Just loop it while making sure it empties the output.

There is a fluid accumulation bug where buildings fail to normalize temperatures between their contents and their inputs. For example, if you input a single gram of super-cooled gas into a generator, then follow it with a ton of boiling hot gas, the gas will keep the super-cooled temperature, but will increase in mass. Contents usually equalize temperature with environment so it can be tricky to observe, but it still does happen in automation update (though it seems less reliable in some way).

The above bug happens both on input and output. If your smelter runs its output totally dry, it should un-bug itself. But if it keeps some of the output inside at the time another job finishes, it will most likely not increase the temperature again. You want to add things at lower priority (through a bridge/valve) so that the smelter always empties its output before starting another job.

Can confirm we're getting some awesome super heating effects.

In all my experiments i made the metal refiner out of abyssalite. If it make it out of anything else it eventually overheats and starts taking damage.

I put crude oil (9c) through the metal refiner and the output kept getting hotter and hotter as time progressed.

Eventually it got so hot that it busted the pipe and spat out petroleum. This killed the cycle though and the temperatures started over again.

I then put petroleum (41c) though the metal refiner and sure enough, the output temperature rose in steps until it started boiling. Interestingly enough the pipe did not bust but the metal refiner seemed to be emitting natural gas. A huge amount too, i got like 5kg per tile in the room it was in.

Next i put in polluted water and regular water. They both produced steam after a few minutes of running and didn't bust the pipes. 

The metal refiner is awesome for heating liquids, even boiling them. 

The fluid accumulation bug as mentioned earlier by coolthulhu seems to be in full force. All my experiments worked with a "once through" design where the fluid only goes through once and exits out a vent to waste. The heating still occurs and builds up. Obviously for greater efficiency you would loop the output back to reuse the wasted fluid.

Only limitation i see is that the pipes occasionally get busted. Annoying but manageable. There also isn't an unlimited supply of metal to refine so you're stuck in that respect. 

Interesting! I wonder if you could do this without bug exploitation. Given you can make the building of Abyssalite, it doesn't look impossible to put this in a hydrogen filled room and let it continually produce heat up until you get a room of 700 degrees celcius. If you put an oil reservoir in, you might me able to boil it that way.

Bumping because the whole thing got even better:

Because now phase change can't occur in the refinery, the superheated cooling liquid will not be removed, meaning that its temperature keeps increasing and isn't bound by boiling temperature. I got a room full of almost 1000C natural gas that way. No loop needed.

8 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Bumping because the whole thing got even better:

Because now phase change can't occur in the refinery, the superheated cooling liquid will not be removed, meaning that its temperature keeps increasing and isn't bound by boiling temperature. I got a room full of almost 1000C natural gas that way. No loop needed.

Do you just let it come out the broken pipe when it his hot enough?

Archived