Automation preview observations

It seems like they fixed the ability to create mechanical filters in the new automation update.  Unless something has broken when I load my old save, but everytime looks normal...

EDIT:  renamed the thread since it was starting to gather a bunch of useful infos about the new preview branch.

9 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

It seems like they fixed the ability to create mechanical filters in the new automation update.  Unless something has broken when I load my old save, but everytime looks normal...

Seems to work for me. Might not work with old saves though so you might have to redo the filter.

Just now, Saturnus said:

Crude oil also freezes at -40C (or F) now, so no super easy liquid freezers. Damn.

I noticed naphta because one of my naphta airlocks evaporated to natural gas, lol  ;)

Steels a couple of great exploits from us, was not expecting that.

34 minutes ago, Risu said:

All the old sensors still exist, they are just marked as deprecated. Any new ones you build will use the new wire. Probably worth mention.

yeah noticed that. I think they should have kept the ability to connect traditional switches/sensors to regular wires, it's gonna make it way more difficult to make simple switch system like we used to. And the new wires use refined metal which has very different specs. Gold is not at all like gold amalgam.

EDIT: actually, specs of refined metals are same as their raw version, except for Thermal conductivity which is now always between 54-60.

image.png.1431b037893c214abebc03c7039f767b.png

yeah noticed that. I think they should have kept the ability to connect traditional switches/sensors to regular wires, it's gonna make it way more difficult to make simple switch system like we used to. And the new wires use refined metal which has very different specs. Gold is not at all like gold amalgam.

Yes. Very annoying they remove the simple switches. The new logic arrays etc are cool and all but you have to dig pretty deep in the tech tree and refine metals before you can even make a simple polluted oxygen or hydrogen siphon. Seems to be not completely game tested.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Yes. Very annoying they remove the simple switches. The new logic arrays etc are cool and all but you have to dig pretty deep in the tech tree and refine metals before you can even make a simple polluted oxygen or hydrogen siphon. Seems to be not completely game tested.

Many people were complaining that the game needed more challenge, maybe that's an attempt at answering that, lol ;)

When in the twitch cast some people mentioned they were intimated by the technicality of logic systems, they said that players would not have to dive in the automation stuff if they didn't want to and could keep playing as usual... not really true it seems...

2 minutes ago, Risu said:

Actually don't have to even touch the logic gates at all. If anything it's easier than it was before.
Only problem is the research gate and different elements being used than before.

yeah but unless I'm wrong, you can't use thermo, atmo, and hydro sensors easily anymore which most non technical people were usually able to use for simple systems.

Just now, manu_x32 said:

yeah but unless I'm wrong, you can't use thermo, atmo, and hydro sensors easily anymore which most non technical people were usually able to use for simple systems.

No longer have to loop your wires all over the place to hit sensors. Now you just have to hook the power up and handle the sensor independently.

1 minute ago, Risu said:

No longer have to loop your wires all over the place to hit sensors. Now you just have to hook the power up and handle the sensor independently.

yeah that part is awesome, but you just can't do any sensors at all until you are able to refine metals, which is gonna make it impossible to do any automation at all early game.

3 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

yeah that part is awesome, but you just can't do any sensors at all until you are able to refine metals, which is gonna make it impossible to do any automation at all early game.

Is the granulator not available fairly early in the tech tree?

46 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

EDIT: actually, specs of refined metals are same as their raw version, except for Thermal conductivity which is now always between 54-60.

image.png.1431b037893c214abebc03c7039f767b.png

Thanks for posting this.  I was hoping one of the refined metals would work as a good insulator, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

12 minutes ago, goboking said:

Is the granulator not available fairly early in the tech tree?

Thanks for posting this.  I was hoping one of the refined metals would work as a good insulator, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

you're right, it' actually right after super computer. I guess I'll just have to start a fresh game to see how it impacts gameplay and progression.

image.thumb.png.257377e7d0b4aabf47684f44181dfdeb.png

Hmm. That thermal plate thing is a 1x1 building with a 3x3 bounding box for temperature influence, and it can be made from diamond. Not sure how much use that will be for moving heat anywhere. Just for averaging out the heat in the room itself. Suppose it's better than statues for moving heat in a geyser room?

Spoiler

Patiently waiting for anybody to find that spoilers building out there.

lol, I think that's worth reporting as a bug.  ;)

Done. I guess we can use the door direction permissions to prevent a dupe from gaining entry to an upper level room via a fire pole.

I get the impression that although different climbing methods provide different climbing speeds, the dupes always choose the closest one, regardless of speed. 

Building priorities are dead at the moment. Thats what I noticed rather quickly when trying to set some stuff to 6.

8 hours ago, Risu said:

Hmm. That thermal plate thing is a 1x1 building with a 3x3 bounding box for temperature influence, and it can be made from diamond. Not sure how much use that will be for moving heat anywhere. Just for averaging out the heat in the room itself. Suppose it's better than statues for moving heat in a geyser room?

I think it will be used mostly for Making a super chilled room, and transferring that coolness into another room similar to how people are using wire bridges. But Thats just my thought and thats only if you an build it behind existing blocks.... 

Archived