Dupicide Strats (aka The Kill Room)

One dilemma I find in the game is that I have a  lot of work to do early, which can use a lot of workers, but then it becomes to burdensome to support such a large colony. 

The more I think about it, the more it seems that a valid early game strat is to get 12-15 dupes, use them to construct your base, and then create some sort of kill room, I can send them into, and they will be trapped and die. 

I know this is horrible, and cruel... but seems like it could be an effective early game strat?

Additionally, higher level dupes require better food, and better decor, so maybe it makes sense to start knocking off your high level dupes around mid-game, bringing in some fresh wide-eyed young dupes without all the lofty expectations.

Thoughts?

It is a strategy. I suppose. But for what purpose are you building the colony. If not to handle the burden of supporting dupes. Additionally the hassle of supporting high expectations is greatly outweighed by how utterly more productive they are if in just getting around a sprawling colony.

30 minutes ago, Esdot said:

I know this is horrible, and cruel... but seems like it could be an effective early game strat?

I've often thought about this, specifically to help with the lag, but I'm way too much of a softy to actually bring myself to do it! I love those little bastards!

Well it's more about driving through the early game, when you have a bunch of excavating and building to do and just using 5-6 dupes is slow, but later on, I want to try and have a minimal colony size in order to just keep the O2 and water consumption under control.

In terms of the advanced dupe slayin, I'm kinda thinking that maybe once you get things almost full automated, there just isn't that much left to do. At that point, their productivity is not all that important (research is done, resources are mostly collected, structures mostly built etc), so maybe kill em off and start with a fresh crew with :"lowered expectations"?

Just now, six_demon_bag said:

I've often thought about this, specifically to help with the lag, but I'm way too much of a softy to actually bring myself to do it! I love those little bastards!

This is the funniest part. Literally the only thing holding me back is not wanting to watch them die. Even though I'm a game dev and fully see that they're just sprites with sound fx, I can't help but feel like a monster for killing them.

Nice job art team :)

1 hour ago, Esdot said:

Well it's more about driving through the early game, when you have a bunch of excavating and building to do and just using 5-6 dupes is slow, but later on, I want to try and have a minimal colony size in order to just keep the O2 and water consumption under control.

In terms of the advanced dupe slayin, I'm kinda thinking that maybe once you get things almost full automated, there just isn't that much left to do. At that point, their productivity is not all that important (research is done, resources are mostly collected, structures mostly built etc), so maybe kill em off and start with a fresh crew with :"lowered expectations"?

To what? Watch them idle in a cavern of death tending to the corpses of their dupe predecessors?

I mean you could do it. But it doesn't seem particularly satisfying to build a large colony for ghosts. If you only intend to furnish a dwelling for a small number of dupes, what's the hurry, exactly?

Frankly, I could probably push all the way to 10 dupes without stopping and still have the resources to meet everybody's needs. I'm running a modest but sustainable colony of 16 right now.

I kind of agree with you, not in killing dupes, but in the sense that is easy to think that they are easily disposable, which in fact they are, because they are the most renewable resource by far. In my opinion the time between duplicants should increase.

Research at the moment feels way too fast, you can research the whole plastic thing long before digging the petroleum areas.

Reminds me in some ways of a challenge way to play the old Sims game - called a legacy challenge.  You had to try and get to 100 generations, starting with just one char, and only ever marrying/making babies with NPC chars. It could get hectic and your house could start to overflow, at which point you had to consider killing some sims off - though in that game you would get haunted and if you weren't careful, you could lose a whole house to naughty ghosts *L* 

Killing Sims felt the same - I know they're not real people.  But it still seemed so wrong. 

Killing dupes would be pretty easy, small room, filled with whatever gas besides oxygen, door that is set to let them enter and not exit, and a task they are supposed to do inside the room. 

I am a bad person.

3 hours ago, SusanMcO said:

I am a bad person.

Back when decor expectation had no limit, a dupe with decor +150, a room: 2x1 tiles, something to build inside, a door that locked behind him as he was busy... the door never opened again.

I also remember the weirdest way I killed some dupes: dug a clean path from the topmost to the very bottom of the map (back when there was void surrounding neutronium) then I order some one to build something and make another one deconstruct the ladder below them. I don't know exactly how (acceleration + offscreen simulation?) but some ended entombed 3~4 tiles in neutronium.

On 10/22/2017 at 7:36 PM, Esdot said:

Additionally, higher level dupes require better food, and better decor, so maybe it makes sense to start knocking off your high level dupes around mid-game, bringing in some fresh wide-eyed young dupes without all the lofty expectations.

Decor expectations aren't that huge and stress problems are easily managed. Food expectations are negligible because they only count during the meal.

The athletics gains make them do their jobs much faster if you build your base right. They zip across long stretches of ladders and tiles in nanoseconds, only slowing down to jump on and off a ladder. Though if your base is built badly, they will spend most of their time jumping around slowly.

Archived