What is a good meat farming option?

Izzy248

In all the other versions of DS I basically had some form of farming a base producing mob so I could make steady supply of Jerky and Meaty Stew, or Honey Ham for my character to consume. I usually did this by luring and trapping a couple of Beefalo into a semi enclosed layer of walls. But for this expansion Im finding that rather hard to do.

Is there any way of doing something similar in this expansion? Luring a mob to a nearby base and trapping them in an enclosed space so that they will continue to breed but you will also have a steady supply of food nearby?

P.S. I have done a bee farm and garden of Dragon Fruits. But Im looking for other options as well.

Is there any way to relocate the water beefalo's spawn point? Doesn't looks like it is possible.

There isn't many mobs in SW that can drop meat tbh. If you can't relocate the water beefalos, and there isn't any tallbird nest near by, your only option is really just the usual pig/werepig.

15 hours ago, voyager156 said:

If you have the world's merged - make a pig farm or a bunnymen farm.

Or make a monkey farm:

Viable. But those seem a bix...complex. I was hoping for a calmer method like the Beefalo Farm. Was kind of hoping I would find something, maybe in the water since thats what this game is based around. Thanks for the info, but I think Ill stick with the Bee Farm and Dragon Fruit Garden for now.

I just read about something called a "Fish Farm" on the wiki. This looks to be a great option that I could possibly be looking for and it says in the Trivia section it was added over a year ago after being in an unnammed update. It is supposed to be in the Food Tab but I cant find it. And I even see people making recent comments in the Comments section about using it but I still cant find it. Is this actually in the game?

1 hour ago, Izzy248 said:

I just read about something called a "Fish Farm" on the wiki. This looks to be a great option that I could possibly be looking for and it says in the Trivia section it was added over a year ago after being in an unnammed update. It is supposed to be in the Food Tab but I cant find it. And I even see people making recent comments in the Comments section about using it but I still cant find it. Is this actually in the game?

It's in the beta version. You can find more info on how to access the beta in this thread:

The beta also made water beefalo reproduce like normal beefalo now as well. So if you can manage to pen them up then your normal beefalo farming methods should work on them as well.

1 minute ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It's in the beta version. You can find more info on how to access the beta in this thread:

The beta also made water beefalo reproduce like normal beefalo now as well. So if you can manage to pen them up then your normal beefalo farming methods should work on them as well.

Ah I see. Thank you for clarifying that. It does look like what Im looking for in this game so that is exciting news. I hope there will be a way to catch the Cormorant and get a fresh supply of Roe to be able to steadily refresh a nearby Fish Farm, within proximity to your base. Since Roe is basically the eggs of a Cormorant, Id imagine itd be the same mechanic as the Eggs to any other Bird trapped in a Cage.

In SW there aren't many sources for regular meat, only with water beefalo and wild boars. You can dry dogfish and swordfish for regular jerky as well. You should ask what you really want, either hunger or sanity.

For hunger: You can keep killing stink rays endlessly as they respawn very fast. Just have a particulate purifier hat on and you will be safe. You will get tons of monster meat which you can feed your caged bird to get eggs. Then make all the meatballs you want. If you have linked world with ROG, a simple one would be to use the lureplants. Plant the lureplants on magma turf either away from base or on a close island. Unequip hand slot of weapon/walking cane and harvest lureplant meat every few days. Cook them and eat or cook and feed bird for tons of eggs.

For sanity: You said you have bee hives, make taffy. Like said earlier monkey farm is good for morsels and bananas for banana pops. Brainy matter gives 50 sanity.

For all around: They made crockpot foods with lots of health and sanity (most only have 37.5 hunger so should eat meatballs and other for hunger).The most OP and easy is Surf 'n' Turf [ two monster meat + 1 fish 1 limpet or two monster meat two fish]. If you have an island with mermfish huts, destroy all the regular mermhuts with a hammer, then plant some lure plants to help get rid of the regular merms and flups (they don't respawn). When all the reg merms/flups are gone, the fishermerms fish tons of fish for you and your are safe. Gives you 33 sanity // 60 health // 37.5 hunger.

The simple answer: Probably should base on an island next to a swordfish and dogfish spawn. They respawn very fast. (I based on island with seaworthy and conveniently it was next to two swordfish spawns so I have tons of cutlass supremes). Use spear gun (bring extra spears) and shoot dogfishes.

Kill stink rays repeatedly at their spawns for monster meat, give them to boars, use their skins to make more wildboar houses, and repeat this process. Wildboars end up giving a lot of meat if you put in the time to farm them.

Doydoys are also an option, but they only give one Meat each. 

On 15.10.2017 at 6:18 AM, Izzy248 said:

In all the other versions of DS I basically had some form of farming a base producing mob so I could make steady supply of Jerky and Meaty Stew, or Honey Ham for my character to consume. I usually did this by luring and trapping a couple of Beefalo into a semi enclosed layer of walls. But for this expansion Im finding that rather hard to do.

Is there any way of doing something similar in this expansion? Luring a mob to a nearby base and trapping them in an enclosed space so that they will continue to breed but you will also have a steady supply of food nearby?

P.S. I have done a bee farm and garden of Dragon Fruits. But Im looking for other options as well.

Firefarm for wildboars

Archived