[Game Update] - 234293

Love the new sink art, looks really clean and futuristic :) Sucks that it still has the derpy arrows above it though, is this really needed from a design point of view?

Also, have any of your in-house play testers gone postal over the excessive alert spam when you deconstruct a whole crop of planters ?

• Like 2

"Sucks that it still has the derpy arrows above it though, is this really needed from a design point of view?"

Yeah I have to agree, the doors can also be set to one way and that works fine without arrows. You just know what you've set them to, and if you forget you can click on it and see. In fact with the doors you might actually change the settings every so often, with the wash basins and exosuit points you really never do. The arrows really aren't needed.

Inversely, I would really like to be able to see what material a building is made of when I click on it and not then have to go click on a tab. Especially since when I then click on another building it resets to the first tab and I have to click it again. Try double-checking if your room is made out of strong enough materials to hold liquids, it's a nightmare. Perhaps even make a materials overlay that shows what everything is built out of.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PaulV said:

Inversely, I would really like to be able to see what material a building is made of when I click on it and not then have to go click on a tab. Especially since when I then click on another building it resets to the first tab and I have to click it again. Try double-checking if your room is made out of strong enough materials to hold liquids, it's a nightmare. Perhaps even make a materials overlay that shows what everything is built out of.

There's a mod for that.

I know, it should be a feature, but it let's devs focus on other new features meanwhile.

The arrow may not look great but an indication that's available without clicking on the building is useful. Even doors should have one (corresponding to their default setting) in my opinion, when you start using the restrictions you can easily find yourself in a situation when your dupes won't come do a job and it takes some time and clicking to figure out which door is set up wrong.

Maybe it doesn't have to be an arrow in all cases, things like traffic lights or wash/go symbols would do the job too. But I prefer having an indication over not having one.

And yeah, the tooltip material indication for built things would be great, too.

8 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

The arrow may not look great but an indication that's available without clicking on the building is useful. Even doors should have one (corresponding to their default setting) in my opinion, when you start using the restrictions you can easily find yourself in a situation when your dupes won't come do a job and it takes some time and clicking to figure out which door is set up wrong.

Maybe it doesn't have to be an arrow in all cases, things like traffic lights or wash/go symbols would do the job too. But I prefer having an indication over not having one.

And yeah, the tooltip material indication for built things would be great, too.

Maybe a compromise: what about just hovering your mouse pointer over the building which pops up the arrow(s)? So when selecting the building it will also project the arrows, but when it is not selected and not hovered over it will not show the indicators.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, SusanMcO said:

if you start a map in OI preview, when OI goes live, will you still be able to play that same map? 

Under normal circumstances it should be possible. Last time loading old maps was cut was in Thermal Upgrade, still in Alpha phase.

It may be a good idea to start a new save, though. Even with last build there may be changes to building sizes or input/output placements, or with features generated into new maps.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Sucks that it still has the derpy arrows above it though, is this really needed from a design point of view?

I couldn't agree more.  The arrows are not just an eyesore, they also make buildings one tile taller than they need to be.  If we can figure out how to produce enough food, clean water, and oxygen to survive long enough to research and build hand sanitizers surely we're smart enough to figure out a directional system with visual arrows being stapled onto a sink.

Just now, goboking said:

I couldn't agree more.  The arrows are not just an eyesore, they also make buildings one tile taller than they need to be.  If we can figure out how to produce enough food, clean water, and oxygen to survive long enough to research and build hand sanitizers surely we're smart enough to figure out a directional system with visual arrows being stapled onto a sink.

I'd like it if when you clicked on a sink/wash basin/door, whatever, it popped up with some futuristic holo see through arrows or something to illustrate the settings, but for the most part they're not visible.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

I'd like it if when you clicked on a sink/wash basin/door, whatever, it popped up with some futuristic holo see through arrows or something to illustrate the settings, but for the most part they're not visible.

That would work for me.